Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to pamper myself : new helmet...oh ..the choices

apriliaforum expert
    Whatever you go for mate, a custom fit out is gonna be best, I don't use anything other than wear the ear plugs as far as noise goes. I have seen the neck skirts, might get a bit hot if air can't ventilate out down the bottom. Good in winter but maybe not in summer

apriliaforum expert
    I have owned owned 5 Arai & 3 Shoei over the years. The Arais were Signet(USA)model except for an open face model. The Shoeis were an RF-1000, X11 & X12(USA). After Arai discontinued the Signet(Replaced with a Profile)I could not get a good fit. went to Shoei & they fit great & I could go down from an extra large to a large with the Shoei. The X12 is really quite, the RF-1000 has a whistle in it. The X11 was very windy.
    So it's all about the fit when you get to the upper priced helmets.
    Don-M

2003 Aprilia Tuono
    2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V

apriliaforum expert The Foreigner's Avatar
    Thanks guys, all advice is greatly appreciated and noted, will post when I've made a decision, sure got a tough one if I can't find an Arai to try on.
    2005 Tuono -

I just tried on a large HJC R-PHA 10 in a bike shop and it fits perfectly. Its a really light helmet. Im very tempted .......

On a side note, if anyone can help : http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...38#post3126238
    2005 Tuono -

Damn , this looks really attractive : Hi there,

We have Dark Visors in Stock for this helmet, Trade price is about 40 GBP...

Shipping to Romania is 22.50

Price of helmet (at below trade already) is 249.99

Total price altogether = 312.49... im vry very confident you wont be able to beat that price

Best Regards
    Jamie
    Motocentral.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_500wt_1413
    2005 Tuono -

2005 Tuono -

apriliaforum prov-nov Tuonington's Avatar
    You need to try them on a bike really Foreigner! tricky I know without purchasing first..

Arai's are generally reckoned to be noisy though, Shoei's quieter, and the Schuberth's apparently the quietest of the lot. Not tried one though, so only going on mates recommendations. Hence the need to try them on the bike.

Oh, and different bikes give you different noise levels too just to complicate even further!!

One piece of advice I remember from a racer years back (could have been Kenny Roberts!), if you have a 2 dollar head, by a 2 dollar helmet..

Heh lol, my head is not really a $2 head meaning I am comfy enough with my Suomy right now and had hit (with my head in it) the pavement once at low speed (not enough to dmg the helmet and I'm quite serious when I say this as I've thrown a new-looking helmet that had been dropped before) and it hasn't affected it's noise levels much.

I also wear a very nice H2O OUT balaclava from Spidi and the R&G plugs mentioned above (or headphones) so I haven't had much noise trouble. I do feel the need for something quieter all the time though so this could very well be a ..gift..as suggested by the thread title.

I want to do this 6k+ km ride in July so I decided to hold off on making a by-ear purchase and go to a couple Shoei/Arai /other shops in Germany that let you try them out and buy after , either from a cheaper source (think eBay) or there if they give me a good deal.

As far as Shoei being quieter than the Arai, I have two friends that had Arai and then 2 Shoei after the Arai and they swear to never give another $ to Shoei ever again, because of the "whistling" encountered (without that whisper strip kit, to be fair).

So all this research makes me wanna wait 1 more month and even then I will have to see how my head feels with my current Suomi on a trip longer than 1500 km (the longest I've been so far).
    2005 Tuono -

apriliaforum expert
    thats a good price on the quantum mate, 350. no extras with it mind you but still. the normal price for a plain was 449 and fancy ones were 500.

http://www.racevisors.co.uk/categori...18&c=368&#ptop

to be fair though, your riding a tuono, and if it has a nice pipe it'll be equally if not louder than the wind! i know mine is on full chat, i understand why aprilia picked a lion as a logo, cause it sounds like one. my 100 quid earplugs might seem extreme but it brings that majestic sound down to a safe level without blocking it out totally. no ringing ears after hours of playing. handy for concerts too, i wish i had them when i went to metallica in belfast in 2010. near deaf after that one.

still reckon you'll get a better deal going to a dealer, not a shop like hein gericke cause they arent a arai dealer as such. also if you buy online and take your lid to a dealer if it needs a custom fit out it costs 40 normally rather than free if you buy from them.

this is the place i went to

http://www.thevisorshop.com/

dude in there fitted out both robert and joey dunlop, still does for michael and william i think. has a few of their old sets of leathers hanging up with no knees left in them.

Yah sometimes I wish we had more of those round here. Who knows, maybe in the near future I won't have to travel lots to a raceway or to a suspension shop or even to a damn helmet shop...
    2005 Tuono -

I suggest black.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by KIRK! View Post
    I suggest black.
    Yah I heard black is better...but I'd like to keep my options and go back at some point
    2005 Tuono -

apriliaforum expert
    but with white i am the stig... besides black has been done to death...also with a white lid i look like a local copper on a sports bike, most people move out of the way

the stigs northern irish biking cousin. top gear fans will understand

Name:  1024yd4.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  71.5 KB

I am a HUGE TopGear fan ,still, I wouldnt dare wear that atrocity (white that is) on anything with 2 wheels.
    2005 Tuono -

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast