Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WSBK - Miller Motorsports Park (US Round - Spoiler)

WSBK - Miller Motorsports Park (US Round - Spoiler)

I guessing that Budoist is running spell check, so I figured I'd start things off.

Who's it going to be this weekend? Checha? Max? One of the guys that use a variant of English, English?

Discuss!

apriliaforum Member
    After a string of SUPER Super Pole performances - Tom Sykes is going to take his first SBK win at Miller.

This is my prediciton

He's already had a win, Granted it was a rain soaked 9 lapper but hay a win is a win. I agree he should be at the point on this one as well. Checa has always been fast here. He'll be right fighting for the lead this time too. The weather will be an interesting factor. Saturday and Sunday it's supposed to rain and Monday is all sun.
    08 SPEED TRIPLE (triple)
    04 RSVR (twin)
    89 750 KATANA (I4)
    80 KZ 1300 (I6)

Cmon Tommy this time!?
    Maybe old jonny rotten mite be the dark horse again that Honda seems to be starting to work for him?
    But I suppose you can't ignore past results and go past Charlie chukit

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ape66 View Post
    Cmon Tommy this time!?
    Maybe old jonny rotten mite be the dark horse again that Honda seems to be starting to work for him?
    But I suppose you can't ignore past results and go past Charlie chukit
    Wish work had not wiped out my trip to Miller this year as I think the series is wide open at this point and I Max seems to have his head together and riding like an "old fox".

Rea will be watching "the Fox" for sure

I'll miss watching these girls

"
    02 RSV Red , Derestricted intake, EVO airbox kit, Evo alu trumpets, Carbon panels from 01 MilleR, Haga dash, Ohlins damper, Sato rearsets, Tigcraft 80mm full system, 04 mirrors
    '04 Futura Silver, de-restricted air box, mille boot & Evo air filter, John B's rectifier & Anderson Power Pole connectors, brass QD, Nippy Normans HID low beam and Boss Bob's HID highs, Skidmark CF hugger & chainguard, TaylorMades, Helibars, Evo clutch slave, AF1 radial masters & 4 pad brakes, CRG clutch and brake levers, Rhino frame and front axle sliders, Wilbers shock, Lindemann Eng. fork mods, heated grips Gloebs' former bike

Is that jonny rotten and the fox playin in the dirt together in the top photo.?

And that's mitey fine scenery ya got there in that second thoto

Can't ya pull a sicki?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ape66 View Post
    Is that jonny rotten and the fox playin in the dirt together in the top photo.?

And that's mitey fine scenery ya got there in that second thoto

Can't ya pull a sicki?
    Yes , max lowsided taking Jonny out in the first race.

Own my own busy business and just don't have time to spare.
    02 RSV Red , Derestricted intake, EVO airbox kit, Evo alu trumpets, Carbon panels from 01 MilleR, Haga dash, Ohlins damper, Sato rearsets, Tigcraft 80mm full system, 04 mirrors
    '04 Futura Silver, de-restricted air box, mille boot & Evo air filter, John B's rectifier & Anderson Power Pole connectors, brass QD, Nippy Normans HID low beam and Boss Bob's HID highs, Skidmark CF hugger & chainguard, TaylorMades, Helibars, Evo clutch slave, AF1 radial masters & 4 pad brakes, CRG clutch and brake levers, Rhino frame and front axle sliders, Wilbers shock, Lindemann Eng. fork mods, heated grips Gloebs' former bike

Biaggi was in front of Rea,i think Rea made a mistake and took Biaggi out.
    Aprilia RSV4R White.

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    No that was all Max. Rea was pretty pissed at Max after that crash.

Checa has to be the favorite. So long as his bike doesn't crap out he's been the best around that track with the exception of Spies. Despite the speed deficite of the Ducati down that long front straight, Carlos carries sooo much more corner speed round there, he more than makes up for it.

It's a bit of the crapshoot for the rest of the podium. It'll likely be a 5 way battle between Max, Eugene, Marco, Haslam and Sykes. Hoping for a dry race if not a dry weekend.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard
    Cape Cod
    '03 Tuono
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11

Graphicologist Extraordinaire ckruzel's Avatar
    checa will probably double, max should be up there, weather is iffy
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics
    decal questions? email me at kruzel (at)drippinwet.com
    check us out on facebook!
    Making Decals for some of the Fastest People on the Planet
    J.Hayes | M.Paris | J.Herrin | Z.Herrin | D.Westby | T.Knapp | S.Coviello | S.Villa | H.Nash | B.Solis | J.Day | C.West | A.Welsh | E.Meyers | D.Eslick | G.May | C.Alexander | D.Gaviria | J.Rispoli | J.Pascarella | B.Cretu | S.Mesa |C.Sellerom (check us out on facebook)

apriliaforum Junkie
    Def a Max mistake. The weather was awful, 50's windy and wet. Checa ditched his Duc in the mud stopping to collect a flag from the Ducati Village and had to hitch a ride back to the pits.

I wouldn't count out Guintoli at this venue.

apriliaforum expert
    I've seen Carlos lead there too many times not to think he is the favorite.
    Checa
    Melandri
    Biaggi

Carved in stone.
    Driving Force at ducatitoolrental.com
    Motorcycles: a celebration of the human condition.

Writus Moderatus
    I wish spell check! 3 major project releases, end of the school year, a birthday, bad reports, the joy's of parenting. Ah well. This has been rolling around in my head for the better part of two weeks. So like it or not here it is.

Heroes to Zeroes and Back Again:

It was a long time coming for BMW. They had to go through multiple lead riders, including a legend in the sport or two; and they may have changed team leadership a time or two - also including a legend in the sport. So it was with much fanfare that the team greeted Marco Melandri on an uncharacteristically sunny day as he crossed the line to secure Motorad's first WSBK win and fulfill a promise made more than 3 years ago. The good news didn't stop there, as teammates and local hero Leon Haslam crossed just a tick behind in second, securing BMW's first 1-2 finish in the same outing. The pair had battled hard with each other all through race one. They had to, no-one else was close enough, and race two was much of the same, with the possible exception that Haslam was even more determined to secure his first win for the team his home track. Then, only feet from the line on the last corner of the last lap BMW set yet another competition marker as the teammates, with copious help from another unnamed Brit, took each other out. At this weekend's meeting they will be looking for sweet revenge, and to prove that their victory last meeting was only a sign of great things to come.

"Aprilia can't buy a podium right now." This was the thought as millions of viewers watched the factory's V4 seem to struggle once again at Donnington. Lead rider Max Biaggi, who lay an absolute beating on the field during the season opener at Phillip Island had once again qualified poorly. He would get a good, but not brilliant, start to the race and begin the uphill battle of working his way to the front. Further afield reigning super sport Chaz Davies continued to struggle on his Aprilia debut season, as did the formerly injured factory rider Eugene Laverty. Laverty would eventually limp home from race 1 in a miserable 15th place, with Davies placing slightly higher on the customer Aprilia at 12th. Biaggi carried the flag in 5th. Race 2 was a different affair entirely... for some. Laverty, who many hoped would challenge Max's status in the team and provide some spice to the racing, crashed in an unforced error on one of the most dangerous parts of the track. Whether or not he aggravated previous injuries will remain to be seen during this weekend's performance. Davies, in the meantime, was able to nail his setup and cruise to 7th with valuable championship points. Baggi, in the meantime, rocketed to the front of the pack early in lap 1 and remained in an intense battle with the BMWs. Narrowly avoiding disaster when he ran off track, Biaggi would eventually drop to 4th place after falling prey to first the domination of the BMW pair and then the surprise appearance of "He Who Shall Not be Named". Then, just as everyone was ready to chalk up yet another box-less outing for the Noale team the BMWs disappeared from the timing sheets and Biaggi took 2nd. Biaggi will need to draw on the perseverance and level headedness that he displayed to capture a good result this weekend, as championship favorite Carlos Checa has one of the best records at Miller.

Jonny Rea - Irishman, Englishman, Hard Charger. He who was not named. Riding for the Honda World Superbike Team it is rumored that he is on the least developed of the manufacturer bikes. Rea has continually struggled with setup and power demands through the past 2 seasons at a minimum, his performance marked by flashes of brilliance highlighted with spectacular crashes (usually while pushing for a position). His best performance had been at Assen, where Rea had tested just before the race meeting. That testing earned the team their first win of the season and though Monza was a washout (quite literally) Rea was determined to display what he was truly capable of on home soil. Race 1 saw him charge to the front and engage Biaggi in a battle that would see him make daring passes and force his way to 4 place. Yet it was race 2 which really cemented his glory. Despite, or perhaps because of, being down on power on almost every other front runner Rea quickly devised what would prove to be a winning strategy. Brake later than damn near anyone on the field, throw the bike to the inside to undercut the idea line and then negate their power advantage by holding the line. It was gutsy performance to say the best, with Rea absolutely holding his inside line despite impending doom on several occassions, reminiscent of Sigfried and Roy placing their heads into the mouths of large, feral cats.... and we all know how that story ended. Yet Rea had nothing to lose and by the final lap Rea found himself once again battling Max Biaggi as the seconds counted down. Closing in on the final complex he moved into 3rd to take the podium of the weekend and engaged the BMW squad. It looked bleak however, as the BMWs entered the final corner in the familiar 1-2 flight pattern. Now, I can say tomayto and you can say tomahto, but the final result was both BMWs running wide and leaving just enough room and Rea nipping on the inside and once again refusing to yield the line. There was contact on the inside with the Honda, then contact on the outside with both BMWs. The Bavarian team cried, the Honda team laughed, and the Aprilia and Kawasaki teams smiled as they happily feasted on the food left on the table. Yet Miller would not seem to suit the Honda as well, and Rea doesn't have the familiarity of the track as he does at Donnington. Should he work his way to the front again this weekend, the other teams are not wise to his gameplan and may adjust.

What can you say about Tom Sykes? When he left the factory Yamaha squad, there were many who expected him to falter and fall when he landed with the equally unimpressive Kawasaki squad. Instead he has gone from strength to strength - first outpacing his much better paid lead rider, then developing the Kawasaki during said rider's injury, then giving Kawasaki it's first podiums and win in many years. This year he has proven to be much more consistent through race pace, with Sykes quick in both free practice and qualifying and - though dropping off during the race - doing so at a much less dramatic rate than last year. When Sykes blazed through qualifying at record setting speed around Donnington, he was the absolute talk of the town. Surely this would be the weekend where he captured the elusive victory for Kawasaki in the dry. Yet it was not to be. The BMWs outmatched him at every turn, the Kawasakis weakness in the corners more evident than ever as both Haslam and Melandri cut under him to steal his position. He fared better in race 1, pushing hard to come in third. In race 2 however, it was no contest at all. When Melandri and Haslam passed it was expected. The BMWs seemed nigh untouchable for both races. When Biaggi got past it was a likely outcome, Biaggi being a world champion already in both the 250 GP and SBK classes, and aboard the Aprilia rocketship V4. When Rea snuck through to push Haslam firmly out of podium contention, however, it all seemed lost. Haslam limped to the last 3 corners in a lonely 5th place, unable to muster the performance from the Kawasaki to mount any challenge to the ones in front of him. As such, he had a birds eye view of the ensuing carnage. As the race leaders veered off to take the scenic path to the finish line, a bewildered Sykes thanked his lucky stars, kissed his lucky rabbit's foot and claimed yet another podium for Kawasaki. The Green Machine is firmly in the title running, though it has yet to stake it's claim on the lead. Like Biaggi, Sykes continues to race smartly, racking up both points and podiums while others allow the insidious red mist to blind them to the larger picture. How his chips will fall this weekend depends on how much of this racing maturity he can muster as the pressure to record his first dry win mounts.

Writus Moderatus
    Damn, that's long. I apologize for the length. Like I said, in my head really since the end of the last race (but I wouldn't dare post a thread that early, I think the forum would implode). So it's grown. And it was written largely on the phone, and in fits and starts since about 2 this morning, both of which cause me to lose context on length.

Graphicologist Extraordinaire ckruzel's Avatar
    weather looks miserable there, was last year also, i'm going to summit point tomorrow for ccs
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics
    decal questions? email me at kruzel (at)drippinwet.com
    check us out on facebook!
    Making Decals for some of the Fastest People on the Planet
    J.Hayes | M.Paris | J.Herrin | Z.Herrin | D.Westby | T.Knapp | S.Coviello | S.Villa | H.Nash | B.Solis | J.Day | C.West | A.Welsh | E.Meyers | D.Eslick | G.May | C.Alexander | D.Gaviria | J.Rispoli | J.Pascarella | B.Cretu | S.Mesa |C.Sellerom (check us out on facebook)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast