Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RC-51s Yeah or Nay?

Quote Originally Posted by SF2DieHard View Post
    When I was working at Moto Italiano (Guzzi, Laverda, Aprilia) my mechanic buddy Sean described the RC51 the way you just described the TLR. Big, heavy pig. The REAL answer was The Falco. Much sweeter and lighter handling machine.

DM
    In stock form, it truly is a pig. With an Ohlins rear shock, link, and a fork conversion kit it completely transforms.
    2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R

1999 Aprilia RS50

1997 Honda CBR 900RR (Deutschland Bike)

2001 Honda RC51 SP1

2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)

Did you end up getting it?
    I don’t need to trek through Africa and I don’t need to climb Everest — I need to ride every f***ing curvy road between here and there. That’s far more powerful. Far more majestic. Far more of a journey.

Quote Originally Posted by gts455 View Post
    In stock form, it truly is a pig. With an Ohlins rear shock, link, and a fork conversion kit it completely transforms.
    Hmmmm, after I take care of the Tax Man I should look for an RC51. The podunk desert town I live still manages to have a Honda dealer.
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"I don't always drive locomotives.
    But when I do I prefer Moto Guzzi's"
    -the Most Interesting Man In the World

2007 Moto Guzzi Griso
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65
    1988 Yamaha FZ750 rat bike

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I like NGK CR8EIX (make sure it does not require EH series plugs for Hondas only) for street and CR9EIX for trackday use on that motor.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

Quote Originally Posted by gts455 View Post

to a SWEET handling pig..i'd still go for it... lolol
    rulz, we donn neeeed no steeenkin rulz....

inside rulz!!

apriliaforum newb
    the RC-51 SP 1 and 2 in stock format are easy to work on. Yes to the front radiator kit. My roomate blew out the airbox to 15L? and a bunch of other things, he built the thing so hard. working on it was a PITA. BUT it was the sweetest sounding bike with a full Ape system and tune.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have a hard time imagining buying one of these over the equivalent Mille. The Mille and Tuono seem very undervalued for what you get in return.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffb View Post
    I have a hard time imagining buying one of these over the equivalent Mille. The Mille and Tuono seem very undervalued for what you get in return.
    The RC's can be found even cheaper. I bought mine for 3800. No doubt the Mille out of the box handles better. But with mods the RC truly transforms. Plus once you realize how hard HRC and other racing parts etc. are to find and the racing history behind the bike it becomes a bit more special.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramggah View Post
    the RC-51 SP 1 and 2 in stock format are easy to work on. Yes to the front radiator kit. My roomate blew out the airbox to 15L? and a bunch of other things, he built the thing so hard. working on it was a PITA. BUT it was the sweetest sounding bike with a full Ape system and tune.
    Yeah sounds like the Turnone/Durbahn airbox. i feel you on the worked bike part.....i don't think i'd ever be able to sell mine, even if i wanted too. Its a completely different bike from OEM.
    2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R

1999 Aprilia RS50

1997 Honda CBR 900RR (Deutschland Bike)

2001 Honda RC51 SP1

2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)

apriliaforum newb
    yea, my fellow rc forumer gts455 hit it on the nail. solid bike, portly, deadly ergos, sweet engine and amazing transmission. not a commuter by any means, but out on the track, or sweeping road, transforms into a pleasure to ride. no real issues with it besides the microwave like heat coming under you while you ride. its supposedly normal though, and gets a little better with engine ice, and much better with front mount rads.

im selling mine right now, and truth be told, the rsv is a better bike, but neither of mine are not stock at all, so i cant be the judge of stock vs stock..

apriliaforum Member nitro450exp's Avatar
    Micah

Stock call for NGK FR9BI-11 Does not appear to be H series to me.
    I will try the ones you suggested, Thanks.

Nitro
    2009 Ape Tuono 1000 R
    2000 Honda RC51 RVT1000R
    2000 Honda VT1100T ACE

WERA #661 Endurance series (Retired)

I don't know much about the RC51 but I see one locally.

Is this a stock color for a 2000?

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/3072158854.html
    Originally Posted by Geedub/GeoR
    Please, Dianne was England's most tragic mistake. Half of the time she called the papers herself so they could report she was shagging that Saudi billionaire's son and never mind the children, hey? Cunt.

A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

Quote Originally Posted by futfalc View Post
    I don't know much about the RC51 but I see one locally.

Is this a stock color for a 2000?

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/3072158854.html
    No.........aftermarket paint-job.......even on the wheels.
    '03 Black/Silver
    ARROW CF slip-ons & chip
    Genuine Aprilia Falco Luggage (panniers)
    Puig Dark Smoke touring screen (thanks Mfed)
    Ohlins shock....not installed (yet)

“An intelligent person can rationalize anything, a wise person doesn't try.”
    ― Jen Knox

That's closer to the stock European paint ,but it's still not complete.
    08 SPEED TRIPLE (triple)
    04 RSVR (twin)
    89 750 KATANA (I4)
    80 KZ 1300 (I6)

apriliaforum expert Geedub/GeoR's Avatar
    Know them well. I wouldn't touch an SP1 but the SP2 is a pretty great bike other than the snatchy FI
    I forget the name, was it Techtronics? but the module to enrich the mixture was what it took to drop the temps by 30 degrees or so. It went from ridiculous hot to a constant 15 degrees higher than my RSV. Mileage sucked but it did put out a lot more HP. Ridden casually it got close to the same MPG as the Mille.
    Wide but short handles great and you ride right over the front wheel. More power and smoother than the RSV but not better
    “The refusal to take the time to understand things in any number of dimensions greater than one is the chief source of the national stupidity.” — Menand, Louis.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have seen multiple nice Mille Rs for ~4k. All the nice RC51s I have seen have generally been 4k+ with the occasional one around 3500 bone stock.. I do like them but it just seems like the Mille R is better bang for your buck. This is coming from someone who doesn't own an Ape...yet. The more I look at the Mille R the more they seem like a really nice value buy. 4k gets me low miles (usually), OZ wheels, ohlins suspension, and an engine that is probably of similar reliability to the RC51.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast