Thread: Scheduled maintenance for BV 250

apriliaforum newb

Question Scheduled maintenance for BV 250

I bought my BV 250 in December 2011. It has already gone through the 600miles maintenance. The next scheduled maintenance, according to the book, is at 3,000 miles and it only includes checking the brakes, lubricate centre stand, and checking the oil (something like that). The scheduled maintenance after that is at 6,000 miles and has a lot more things required to do.

Now, I would much prefer not to have to go to the dealer to do the 3,000 mile maintenance. I mean, I can check the oil and probably could learn to lubricate the centre stand. Now, I don't know how to check the brakes though. What does one need to do for that? I already have 1,700 miles on the scooter and it's not hard to go another 1,300 miles more since the scooter is my only vehicle. And, is it all that necessary to check the brakes at 3,000 miles or could I skip that and have it performed at the 6,000 miles mark?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by teabow1 View Post
    I bought my BV 250 in December 2011. It has already gone through the 600miles maintenance. The next scheduled maintenance, according to the book, is at 3,000 miles and it only includes checking the brakes, lubricate centre stand, and checking the oil (something like that). The scheduled maintenance after that is at 6,000 miles and has a lot more things required to do.

Now, I would much prefer not to have to go to the dealer to do the 3,000 mile maintenance. I mean, I can check the oil and probably could learn to lubricate the centre stand. Now, I don't know how to check the brakes though. What does one need to do for that? I already have 1,700 miles on the scooter and it's not hard to go another 1,300 miles more since the scooter is my only vehicle. And, is it all that necessary to check the brakes at 3,000 miles or could I skip that and have it performed at the 6,000 miles mark?
    Most of those checks should be covered in the owners manual. On the Aprilia's it is all covered except for how to change the belt and rollers. Did you get an owners manual with the bike? At 3,000 miles it is your best interests to check the sight glass and make sure that there is enough brake fluid, to look at the thickeness of the brake pads and verify that they are not wearing thin, check your engine oil level, verify that there is enough coolant in the recovery tank, check for burnt out bulbs and that the brake levers and all controls are working properly.

The manual for the Sport City 250 should give you an idea of what to do. If you did not get the owners manual with your bike ask the dealer you bought the bike from to have one sent to you (it would be unthinkable for them to charge you for one so do not stand for it if they try to).

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks! Yes, I do have the owner's manual. I think I will then go through it and see how they recommend checking it. This would be a day's project in the open parking lot where I park the scooter. I don't have a garage. I did read the manual when I first bought the scooter, but don't remember it saying anything about how to check brake pads. As for the belt and rollers (which aren't to be performed at 3,000 miles) I'll leave it to the experts.

apriliaforum newb
    I read on the manual. It requires to change drive belt at 6500miles. 2009 BV 250 shares engines and drive trains with Aprilia SC 250 and Vespa GTS 250. Maintenace schedule of SC 250 ask to replace drive belt at 12500miles, Vespa GTS 250 at 10500miles. Any one knows why the life span of dive belt on Piaggio BV 250 is so short. Do they all share the identical belts ?