Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated stator and rotor cost per country

Updated stator and rotor cost per country

I had my rotor and stator replaced with the updated type, under a special arrangement by Piaggio. Total cost to me was only EUR 100, which surprised me.
    This includes parts and labor.

So for riders in The Netherlands the permanent fix to the stator problem is here, and Piaggio is picking up a big portion of the Bill.

I would like to use this thread to keep track of what is cost to have the updated stator and rotor fitted per country.
    Last edited by mini_me; 05-29-2012 at 08:14 AM.
    'Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticise them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.'

Below is a list of the cost for replacing the stator and rotor and the prerequisites, if any.

The Netherlands:
    Total cost for replacing the stator and rotor EUR 100 including parts and labour.
    Proof of dealer service history NOT needed, NO need to be in warrenty period, and it CAN be an imported bike as well.

Italy:
    Price reduction on the updated parts (stator + rotor), part number AP0296988: their costs is now 380euro+vat instead of 850euro+vat.

Aprilia will update to the new generator with no costs if your bike is still in the 2 years warranty, only if you burn the original stator.

It is possible to have an "extended warranty" on the component for bikes that have more than 2 years, but the has to be 100% original and with a full official service book (almost impossible to approach ( )

Once updated, Aprilia will relase a certificate of "updated bike"
    Last edited by mini_me; 05-01-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    'Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticise them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.'

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Just out of curiosity I googled APO296988 and got linked to the AJ Sutton company in Great Britain. They supply what looks like the rotor and stator for 381.35 British pounds + about 39 British pounds to ship. Using a currency converter I calculated that it would cost $621.60. It looks like you can pay using Paypal.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I am tempted. Anyone care to comment on the procedure and difficulty in replacing the rotor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel K View Post
    I am tempted. Anyone care to comment on the procedure and difficulty in replacing the rotor.
    You will have to pull the lefthad side cover of the engine. So obviously you will have to remove fairings and you will have to unbolt the oiltank so you can move it.
    Because you pull the cover you will prolly need a gasket.

Cover is held in place tight by magnetic forces of the generator.

If the cover is off you can replace the stator and rotor (for this you will need the flywheel puller tool and a propane torch to break the loctite bond).

That about it without getting into to much detail.

btw when you have your rotor out it is a good time to check out your sprag cluch !

apriliaforum Member
    Any idea if someone in the US could get in on this? I guess I could ask aprilia?

as its a known problem you'd think the parts would be free ....just paying for labour :s

On the Englandshire side of the Welsh Border
    Quote Originally Posted by BB1000 View Post
    as its a known problem you'd think the parts would be free ....just paying for labour :s

However, we're talking Piaggio here dude....they wouldn't give you the shit from under their toe nails unless they thought they could make a penny out of it....

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post

However, we're talking Piaggio here dude....they wouldn't give you the shit from under their toe nails unless they thought they could make a penny out of it....
    Yeah really.

Want to become a stand out motorcycle company? Fix something like this for your riders and watch how fast this word spreads. I think it'll bring many new riders.
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders
    Laminar WindscreenLowered PegsLED City and Tag Lights
    ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses
    2017 High-Ball in Suede Nuclear Sunset Orange
    2017 Z125 PRO

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

apriliaforum Member
    Kawasaki has had voltage regular isses on some late model zx6r's and 10r's bikes were new in 09 most of them, they used a cheap non mosfet regulator for some reason. They go bad anywhere from 4k miles on up. Anyway after a few years and some customers bitching(I just put an r1 mosfet regulator on mine) they recalled the entire batch because it can cause the bike to stall. Scared of lawsuits more then anything. But at least they stepped up and r replacing them all, at no charge. It's a $300 part. To correct this would cost me 1200 bucks plus either I put it on(which I can) or I pay to have them do it, and it's a mess. Long story short I would be happy if they would sell me the part at a discount.

Start reporting your stalling issues to the NTSB maybe they will force a recall? I mean damn they recalled nutella!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I just revisited the AJ Sutton site. In one days time the price of the rotor and stator has increased from 381.35 pounds to 488.83 pounds. This represents a one day increase of $173.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    just a heads up...parts prices are adjusting worldwide...they are changing up and down on an almost daily basis. I think they are merging all teh World systems together with their new parts distribution warehouse in Italy.

We've been updating our store part by part. Once they release a complete set price file, we can update everything.

Thumbs down stator/rotor kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post

gee why do we have to pay for this kit?
    and apparently its only if you are within the 2 year warranty period

I've owned my '04 RVSR since 12/17/03

Aprilia replaced my stator, R/R and battery twice under warranty

i've put 4 more in and a series regulator..........
    now in the US they want $1220.99 NOT including labor for what should have been a recall
    http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp

why should I have to pay for a fix for a POS that didn't work from the beginning?????????

keep posting the costs Chris
    Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
    I'm not PC either

email/PayPal theknurl@yahoo.com
    Skype theknurl
    ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8

apriliaforum Member
    Such a small company, I would doubt until it kills someone that they would voluntarilly recall it. A bike stalling and not restarting is no joke in DC traffic, very dangerous.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Not to mention passing a vehicle on the highway and having your bike fall flat on its face when it goes into limp mode. I will not trust mine more than 30 miles from home. This after three stator replacements. The stator life on these bikes is less than a weeks vacation on some BMWs and Goldwings.

I've said it before and I will say it again, Aprilia's failure to come up with a fix for this problem at a decent price to the owner is negligent, bordering on criminal. Totally unacceptable in todays motorcycle market.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast