Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential custom tuning solution

apriliaforum Member
    I doubt they're diodes or fuses, probably just the potentiometer and the cables soldered to the pcb. I can't see why diodes would be required and fuses would not be under the heat shrink wrap - changing them would be a nightmare! It's not a lot to buy it, after shopping around to get the parts, soldering, building it's probably easier to buy it.
    Shiver 750

Quote Originally Posted by steve.d View Post
    I doubt they're diodes or fuses, probably just the potentiometer and the cables soldered to the pcb. I can't see why diodes would be required and fuses would not be under the heat shrink wrap - changing them would be a nightmare! It's not a lot to buy it, after shopping around to get the parts, soldering, building it's probably easier to buy it.
    I agree it's most likely nothing, but I have been fooled before.

You would be surprised. I have seen fuses in sealed "black boxes" that you have to break to get open. I have also seen several foot switches with fuses in them where the entire assembly is filled with epoxy to make it waterproof. The fuses are there to protect the equipment, not necessarily for ease of repair.

Also it would take 2 seconds to trim back that heatshrink and replace the fuse, electrical tape over it after.

So far I have found the connectors for about $5 including all the pins and seals etc, another buck for the pot, and wire is essentially free if you scrounge it. So call it $10 per if you do it one at a time. Take me 20min to make it. Seems worth it to me. I am broke and a do this sort of thing all the time though so YMMV obviously.
    2009 Dorsoduro (current)
    2009 Shiver (too small)
    1983 Suzuki GSX400E (wish i kept her)
    2002 Yamaha BWS

I haven't measured it myself but if this helps the info that came with the FD states the air fuel ratio is adjustable from 14.2 to 13.0 This is using a base AFR of 14.7/1@ 500 Millivolt sensor output.

I can tell you though that it appears to be working on my bike. I have been testing it for a few days and have done close to 700 Kms. I have tried various settings on the pot but have come back to the mid point which is apparently 13.5/1 AFR. There is still a bit of popping in the exhaust on Deceleration but not as much as before but best of all the bike is now much smoother coming off a closed throttle and whereas before it used to hunt between 3000 - 4000 RPM it is now nice and smooth.

As Micah was suggesting, probably not as perfect as custom tuning but in the absence of a practical solution in that ares it's a pretty good compromise so far for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Statler View Post

I can tell you though that it appears to be working on my bike. I have been testing it for a few days and have done close to 700 Kms. I have tried various settings on the pot but have come back to the mid point which is apparently 13.5/1 AFR. There is still a bit of popping in the exhaust on Deceleration but not as much as before but best of all the bike is now much smoother coming off a closed throttle and whereas before it used to hunt between 3000 - 4000 RPM it is now nice and smooth.
    I like what i read, but can you tell us if this is tested in sport or in touring mode?
    Aprilia Shiver My10
    Pazzo levers, Roads Italia carbon muflers, LV-decat, DNA filter, Matris cartridge set, RBT rear sets, Seat cover, OZ Factory wheels, 15T with 520 chain conversion, Rizoma handlebar.
    Goodie's to follow: ProBolt titanium/alu bolt and nut conversion, Samco Hose set.
    Conclusion: Making a factory Shiver

Quote Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
    I like what i read, but can you tell us if this is tested in sport or in touring mode?
    I only ever ride in sport mode and I have been riding in that mode since installing the FD. However, since you asked, I just went for a short ride in touring mode, then on the way back in rain mode. I found the bike was just as smooth but of course no where near as responsive.

apriliaforum Junkie Thousand Suns's Avatar
    I have been running one on my DD in S and T modes. You will still have that snap just off closed throttle in sport but all in all it was a good investment for the money. That coupled with the air intake resistor hack I'm good to go. By the way I have not had a drop in fuel consumption.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

It's funny because I was planning something sort of like this already based on the success of the AIT hack, but micah's earlier comments on how it's the o2 sensor thats the main culprit. THen I look in to it more and someone already invented it, sigh. Ha ha.

I will order up the parts to make a few and report back.
    2009 Dorsoduro (current)
    2009 Shiver (too small)
    2002 Yamaha BWS

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
    I found several rexxer points in belgium and neighbour country's, so i send some e-mails and made some phonecalls for more info.
    each time the same answer.
    every bike that we programmed is working fine and made better performance.
    no sire we did not programmed aprilia shiver or dorsoduro, but we are sure it will work fine.
    so no real proof of it.

maybe fastest can show us some proof???
    Not sure if some of you guys actually read the first page of this thread.....the rexxer works on a dorsoduro. Period. If you want proof fly out to Australia and have a ride of my bike, because that's the only way you can actually tell for yourself. Or you could just take my word for it...

I have no idea why anyone who wants to tune their bike properly would want to mess around adding resistors in line with air temp / lambda sensors when you can get a proper, tunable fuel map uploaded to your ECU for quite a reasonable cost. Seriously, the memjet type devices were good when there was no other option available, but they are far from ideal. It seems like there are dealers in most countries now too.

My bike will be going back in for some dyno work later this month, I should be able to post charts after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Man Hands View Post
    Not sure if some of you guys actually read the first page of this thread.....the rexxer works on a dorsoduro. Period. If you want proof fly out to Australia and have a ride of my bike, because that's the only way you can actually tell for yourself. Or you could just take my word for it...

I have no idea why anyone who wants to tune their bike properly would want to mess around adding resistors in line with air temp / lambda sensors when you can get a proper, tunable fuel map uploaded to your ECU for quite a reasonable cost. Seriously, the memjet type devices were good when there was no other option available, but they are far from ideal. It seems like there are dealers in most countries now too.

My bike will be going back in for some dyno work later this month, I should be able to post charts after that.
    Because there is no rexxer dealer within range of me, because the o2 mod is about $5 and because I am not willing to fork over that kind of money until it is guaranteed to work. Similar claims have been made by a few guys and then a few others chime in that it didn't really work as advertised.
    2009 Dorsoduro (current)
    2009 Shiver (too small)
    2002 Yamaha BWS

Still trying to figure out the range of potentiometer to order, you can get them in a ton of values, and hints? I can't seem to find any tech data on current draw of an o2 sensor, or the resistance value etc, makes it hard to figure out for myself.
    2009 Dorsoduro (current)
    2009 Shiver (too small)
    2002 Yamaha BWS

apriliaforum expert jeffrey_lebowsk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by donimo View Post
    Still trying to figure out the range of potentiometer to order, you can get them in a ton of values, and hints? I can't seem to find any tech data on current draw of an o2 sensor, or the resistance value etc, makes it hard to figure out for myself.
    kevxtx is your best bet for any information, guy's an electrical wizard
    2011 Shiver 750
    "yeah, well... that's just like... you're opinion, man"

Info sent to donimo via his PM request.

Quote Originally Posted by kevxtx View Post
    Info sent to donimo via his PM request.
    Tanks mang!

Yeah I had a serious brain fart as to what was needed.

The FatDuc is most likely 2 resistors (the bumps in the shrink wrap pictured above) and a pot (the blue and white thing). As for the values used it is somewhat arbitrary and depends on what effect you are going for.

It would be good to get the exact values used by someone who got perfect results just to reduce trial and error time but it would be fairly simple to make a "0-33%" adjustable voltage reducer than snaps in to the stock harness just like the fatduc for about $5-10 bucks. From what I can tell a 33% reduction in voltage should result in a 14.2:1 AFR being reported as a 14.7.

From the MEAGRE resources I could find on the FatDuc it seems to be a "44-36%" voltage reducer, but that is IF the values measured by the one guy willing to measure it did it right. This should be about 13.6-14.1:1 AFR.

I am not sure if this mod would actually provide these results real world though. Would need a dyno and a wide band AFR meter to prove any of this.

Already found a source for connectors etc, I have the skills to build them just not the r&d time without some pointers to cut down on the process. I have been out of the electronics building world for 13 years now, too many cobwebs
    2009 Dorsoduro (current)
    2009 Shiver (too small)
    2002 Yamaha BWS

apriliaforum Junkie Thousand Suns's Avatar

Wish granted.

TA DAA, The red and white wires are not connected to the resistors, they go from plug to plug. The female plug with clip facing up is, red,white,grey and black. resistor colors from left to right are, brown, red, black, red, brown. the resistor on the right are, red, black, black, red, brown. Now that I have been the guinna pig will some one make me one of these?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fat Duc.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	196714
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

Quote Originally Posted by Thousand Suns View Post
    TA DAA, The red and white wires are not connected to the resistors, they go from plug to plug. The female plug with clip facing up is, red,white,grey and black. resistor colors from left to right are, brown, red, black, red, brown. the resistor on the right are, red, black, black, red, brown. Now that I have been the guinna pig will some one make me one of these?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fat Duc.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	196714
    I will make you one if you can take a close up pic of the front and back for me. The back will show how they are connected, I can guess from the front but it's just a guess.

you rule!
    2009 Dorsoduro (current)
    2009 Shiver (too small)
    2002 Yamaha BWS

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast