Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential custom tuning solution

apriliaforum newb
    I might have a go at this, Micah. Can you please recommend the spec of the potentiometer and which color wire (and where on the bike you've spliced it?)

Thanks in advance,

Ben.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    For those of you who have the fatduc do you have pictures of the install? I was looking at the bike last night and it seems like a pretty tight spot to get in there and get this all hooked up.

I was going to go with kevxtx mod but he doesn't have any more plug and play units left and since the bike is only a couple weeks old would like to keep it so I can return it to stock if required.

as soon as i have the fatduc i will post picture's from the install, but first i will need a reply from him for my order.

orderd on sunday but still did not get any mail from him. :-(
    Aprilia Shiver My10
    Pazzo levers, Roads Italia carbon muflers, LV-decat, DNA filter, Matris cartridge set, RBT rear sets, Seat cover, OZ Factory wheels, 15T with 520 chain conversion, Rizoma handlebar.
    Goodie's to follow: ProBolt titanium/alu bolt and nut conversion, Samco Hose set.
    Conclusion: Making a factory Shiver

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I will showcase the part the wire to hack if you prefer and more here soon. I ambush as shit this week and it is hot as hell so productivity is suffering. it is easy. As far as wires go you do not want ground, 12v positive, 5v positive either. You want the other wire. I have to find a shiver or Dorso around the shop to demonstrate on, or somebody bring me one for a quick test. I have one spare FatDuc at my disposal for local testing. If you go this route I need an owner who rides the bike a lot to get more data logged!
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

I have just Installed a Fat Duc O2 manipulator on my 2012 Shiver.

I set the variable trimmer to the middle position and went for a test ride of about 30 kms. Most of the previous problems of jerkiness and hunting in the lower rev range (3000-4000 rpm) had gone. There was still however a bit of popping in the exhaust on deceleration. So I made a slight adjustment clockwise on the trimmer (slightly richer) and the result was perfect.

Smooth coming off a fully closed throttle, smooth at constant throttle in traffic, no hunting below 4000 rpm and no backfiring on deceleration. I believe the fuelling is now just about as close as I can get to being correct.

Splicing in your own resistor would obviously be a cheaper solution but the Fat Duc is so simple install and having the ability to trim the amount of resistance makes it a very simple solution for relatively small outlay of $80 to $120 depending on where you buy it.

I previously tried the Memjet air temperature option with very little improvement and subsequently disconnected it.

Installing a Fat Duc is the answer and it's a piece of cake to do.

Locate the factory O2 sensor cable connection which you will find under the frame on the right hand side and just above the clutch cover. There is a small black steel bracket holding the connector in place. Remove the bolt holding this bracket then you can pull the connector out making it easy to work on. Then all you do is unplug this connection, plug in the Fat Duc connectors i.e. inline with the factory connector. Tuck it all back in behind the frame and that's it. I put a cable tie onto the metal bracket and around the new component so that it keeps the trimmer in an easily accessible position.

The trimpot can be seen here just behind the oil filler cap.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey Statler, not sure I have seen you here before but thanks for a great post on the Fat Duc. I have a couple questions. First, where did you find the FD (Brisbane?) and does it need to be a specific model or type? Second question is, if you have any knowledge of the Kevxtx mod (variable resistor), how would you compare performance with the FD. I've been running the kev mod for about 2 years and find it very good but needing to be finely adjusted according to air temp to give its best all the time. Thanks again.
    Gil
    'Its only rock n roll but I like it....'

Hey shekel, I've been a forum member since 08 but don't post much. I also have a Tuono V2 2007 and have posted on that forum before.

I got the Fat Duc from Moto Italia in Sydney AU$120 which is a little more than the US price but when you take in shipping and exchange commission etc not so much! No it doesn't need to be specific, in fact I think there is only one. The Shiver connectors are the same as the Ducati connectors on those models it is designed for so just plugs in with no modification.

I haven't used the Kevxtx only the Memjet but I understand that this is also an air temperature manipulator?? The problem with this type of solution is as you say, it has to be adjusted for variations in actual air temperature. Also, the O2 sensor will still lean out the fuel mixture because this sensor is the last in the loop. That's why I think it's better to do away with the air temperature manipulator and just use a resistor between the O2 sensor and the ECU.

My experience with the Memjet was that it did make a slight difference to the smoother running below 4000 rpm but like the Kevxtx, needs to be adjusted regularly according to air temperature to get the best results. With the Fat Duc, it just seems to work perfectly once you find the optimum setting and for my bike, that is just past the midway point on the trim pot. However, I haven't carried out any long term testing as I've only just installed it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information mate. I'm thinking about a trip down to Sydney at the end winter to have my 32k km service with Dave Ward at Moto Italia, so I might just try a Fat Duc while I'm there. Please keep us up-dated on your Fat Duc experience in the coming weeks and months.
    Gil
    'Its only rock n roll but I like it....'

Thanks for the info guys.....might look into this myself

@ Statler - do you have an after market exhaust? Any other fuelling mods (ECU, cat eliminator etc)
    BLOG = http://bitsar.blogspot.com.au

Life
    is Complex
    :: {It has an (i)maginary component && a (R)eal component}

Quote Originally Posted by shekel View Post
    Hey Statler, not sure I have seen you here before but thanks for a great post on the Fat Duc. I have a couple questions. First, where did you find the FD (Brisbane?) and does it need to be a specific model or type? Second question is, if you have any knowledge of the Kevxtx mod (variable resistor), how would you compare performance with the FD. I've been running the kev mod for about 2 years and find it very good but needing to be finely adjusted according to air temp to give its best all the time. Thanks again.
    Two totally different devices that tune different parts of a fuel map, the AT mod increases the fuelling by tricking the ECU into thinking it is colder than it really is in the open loop, the other (Fatduck) tricks the ECU in the closed loop into thinking it is leaner than it really is so increase the fuelling in the closed loop circuit when cruising & at low throttle openings.

If you get on the gas the fat duck will not effect the fuelling at all, so the combination of both mods would have the best results, both mods are very basic fuelling mods.

From the testing I have done over the years with voltage dividers & O2 sensors I could only get the A/F ratio down from 14.7:1 to around 14.2, the best closed loop state would be around 13.6:1. At 14.2:1 it will make the bike ride smoother in the closed loop. A few years back I invented a device for the Yamaha's that turns off the O2 closed loop circuit totally & gives the tuner 100% control of the A/F ratio at any RPM & TPS opening.

Most of todays ECU's are getting quite cleaver so we can no longer fit resistors to the O2 circuit as in the past, the ECU's of today look for fluctuation voltage signals all the time, manipulating the voltage between its prerequisite voltages is the way most tuners are looking.
    Last edited by kevxtx; 06-29-2012 at 07:37 AM.

I have an Akrapovic slip on exhaust and DNA air filter, no other fuelling mods. Standard ECU and still have the cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Statler View Post
    I have an Akrapovic slip on exhaust and DNA air filter, no other fuelling mods. Standard ECU and still have the cat!
    Thanks mate....similar to the route I am planning.

Cheers
    BLOG = http://bitsar.blogspot.com.au

Life
    is Complex
    :: {It has an (i)maginary component && a (R)eal component}

Very glad to hear this works upside down in Oz...will add to our online store soon if more good results are reported. Thanks for posting!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum Member
    Be a bit bloody easier if you could just fit a power commander onto the damn bike wouldn't it?

You can...after you do the FatDuc trick they tune fine using a 06-10 Tuono PCV. The FatDuc was the missing link for me to get them to tune.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast