Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential custom tuning solution

apriliaforum newb

Potential custom tuning solution

Hi all, I've been lurking on here for a while but this is my first post. I've got a 2010 Dorsodoro and am in Melbourne, Australia.

So I've been reading through the forum and it seems alot of you are having the same issues as me with the very ordinary part throttle tuning of the bike. For me the lean surging, popping and hesitating make it a pig to ride around town and totally ruin what is otherwise a great bike. I recently had the arrow cans installed and while they seem to have made the bike a bit smoother (and sound awesome ), they haven't really resolved the surging issue. What is even more frustrating is there appears to be no way to tune them properly. I've installed a DIY memjet and while it does improve things, I found that to make a meaningful difference to the part throttle performance, you had to set it at a level that made the bike too rich at wider throttle openings and totally ruined the throttle response. I was waiting on the Bazzaz unit to become available for the dorso but it seems like this is either way behind schedule or is just never going to happen.

Now to me it is just unnacceptable that Aprilia haven't taken action to fix the problems. Yes they released an updated map but in my opinion that only made a slight improvement. I was very close to selling the thing unless I could find a solution....well I might have found one.

I've come across a guy here in Australia who is using the Rexxer device to re-map European bikes and seems to be getting some good results. I've come across the Rexxer before but it seemed very expensive and could only be used on one bike, and until now had not found anyone that supported it in Australia. Well this guy apparently has the rights to Rexxer in Australia and has a 'professional' version of the device which can build maps for most European bikes and upload them into the factory ECU. Because it is uploaded to the factory ECU you can change much more than just the fuelling - iginition timiing, rev limiter, etc can all be messed with. He has never done a dorsoduro before but there is apparently a standard map on file from Rexxer which sorts out the fuelling and eliminates the lambda sensor all together. Otherwise there is the option of having a custom map built.

So, I am booked in with his Melbourne dealer to have the Rexxer map uploaded on Tuesday. I am just having the standard map from Rexxer uploaded at this stage and will see how that goes. Anyway, the proof will be in the pudding. I am really hoping this solution is as good as it sounds....otherwise I can't see myself living with this bike much longer. I'll keep you updated if anyone is interested.

Good luck. I'm very interested in hearing what happens.
    2011 Dorsoduro 750 - Black

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer gods than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen F. Roberts

"The population of lonely people with eager willingness to be purposefully wrong is not to be underestimated." - Will Assaf

Quote Originally Posted by naimchase View Post
    Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. They enhance your own, and bring something out in those around you.
    Be open to the enthusiasm of riders and non-riders. You will be well rewarded.

Did a post on this some years back, it was the initial outlay which was too much to give it a go like you said, there was a discussion of buying the prof model but a couple of thousand sterling was scary

Hope it does work and looking forward to hearing the results

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey1 View Post
    Did a post on this some years back, it was the initial outlay which was too much to give it a go like you said, there was a discussion of buying the prof model but a couple of thousand sterling was scary

Hope it does work and looking forward to hearing the results
    I'm really interested in how this works out also - so thanks for posting this up. However, it's the price/performance equalibrium that is certainly the decider.
    I used to work in the Hi-Fi Industry - and that is probably the best illustration of the law of diminishing returns.
    Yes, you can probably improve the sound a little with those 10,000 speaker cables (seriously!), but bang for your buck? Don't think so.

Personally in terms of the rideabilty of my DD since the dealer re-map, I've no issues with it at all. I know any significant performance gain is going to be big money
    and therefore a non-starter.

apriliaforum Member
    Great post - thanks

apriliaforum newb
    Update - I got the new map loaded today after not being able to make it on Tuesday. I haven't had a lot of time to test it but so far all I can say is WOW This is what the bike should be like from the factory! The rough spot from 4-5000rpm at partial throttle is 95% gone. The surging at constant speed, which used to drive me crazy, is completely gone - I tried to make it surge on the commute home and couldn't get it it to. Deceleration at zero throttle is also much smoother and there is less popping in the arrows when you chop the throttle. It also feels a bit quicker when opening up the throttle from 5000rpm - not sure if its due to an increase in power or just a quicker response but it feels good all the same! Tried a bit of sport mode as well and it feels much less twitchy and more usable now - I was pretty much always riding in touring mode but might use sport a bit more now.

So all I can say is that from my experience so far, this is the solution you dorsoduro owners experiencing the same problems have been looking for. Its cheaper than buying a piggyback system and having it set up and if any further fine tuning is needed they will do this at no extra cost. Massive ups to the guys at MPR Bikes in Melbourne for doing this for me - great service and a cool bunch of guys. For anyone in Australia, I think there is a dealer in Sydney and the head dealer is located in Brisbane - I have his contact details somewhere if anyone wants them.

apriliaforum Junkie DownUnderDorso's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Man Hands View Post
    ....and the head dealer is located in Brisbane....
    DETAILS.... NOW !!!!!

Bike Garage:
    2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro - Mods: Akra Ti/CF cans, LV De-Cat, FatDuc, STM Slipper Clutch (w/ see thru!), Samco Hoses, 520 DID/PBR conv, RSV4-R Factory Forged Rims, Power Pures, Matris Fork Inserts, Factory Shock, Braking SK2 Superlights, ProTaper Bars on billet Tuono risers, DNA Air Filter, 'Big Mouth' Air Box, Gel Seat, Evo-Tech FE, R&G Sliders, Ballastic Battery, Ti Nuts & Bolts, Lightech Alloy Nuts & Bolts, Stompgrip, Factory Carbon F... Kompo-tech Tail fairing, Raptor Ti Supermoto Footpegs, OEM less 27kgs and counting !
    2007 CBR1000RR - Modified Track-Ho. 1000RR.NET "BIKE OF THE MONTH" Winner Feb 2014 >>> http://www.1000rr.net/forums/bike-mo...inner-tcp.html

This is awesome !!!!

I've also been waiting for this Bazazz Dorso story to unfold but this changes everything....

So did you have this Rexxer DD map installed or did they do a custom tune for you ?

Have you removed the Memjet device ?

- Arrow cans. what other mods are running with this new map ?

This is the best news I've had all week !

Bike Garage:
    2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro - Mods: Akra Ti/CF cans, LV De-Cat, FatDuc, STM Slipper Clutch (w/ see thru!), Samco Hoses, 520 DID/PBR conv, RSV4-R Factory Forged Rims, Power Pures, Matris Fork Inserts, Factory Shock, Braking SK2 Superlights, ProTaper Bars on billet Tuono risers, DNA Air Filter, 'Big Mouth' Air Box, Gel Seat, Evo-Tech FE, R&G Sliders, Ballastic Battery, Ti Nuts & Bolts, Lightech Alloy Nuts & Bolts, Stompgrip, Factory Carbon F... Kompo-tech Tail fairing, Raptor Ti Supermoto Footpegs, OEM less 27kgs and counting !
    2007 CBR1000RR - Modified Track-Ho. 1000RR.NET "BIKE OF THE MONTH" Winner Feb 2014 >>> http://www.1000rr.net/forums/bike-mo...inner-tcp.html

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderDorso View Post
    This is awesome !!!!

I've also been waiting for this Bazazz Dorso story to unfold but this changes everything....

So did you have this Rexxer DD map installed or did they do a custom tune for you ?

Have you removed the Memjet device ?

- Arrow cans. what other mods are running with this new map ?

This is the best news I've had all week !
    The guy you want to speak to in Brisbane is Gary at Torque Power Motorcycles - http://www.torquepowermotorcycles.com.au . Actually I just noticed he's in Beenleigh, so not quite Brisbane (I'm a Queenslander originally myself).

From the way Dave at MPR explained it to me, they used the standard DD map from rexxer but made a couple of refinements to it. They should have the exact same map on file.

I've left the memjet on for now but its set to zero - I'll probably remove it all together when I get a chance.

No mods other than the arrows at this stage. They did reset the TPS once the map was uploaded but this should be standard procedure I think. MPR also recommended getting the throttle bodies synched at the next service and that this might smooth things out even more. They do a lot of Ducati tuning and apparently its very common for throttle bodies to fall out of synch on Ducati v-twns and cause issues with rough running.

Thanks for the lead on this. I've already sent TPM a message....

Did MPR do the refinements via a dyno or 'seat of the pant' ?

And yep, TPS reset is standard practice for service upgrades.

Just been reading up on Rexxer. I'm familair with Bosch (Audi etc) ecu flashing, do you know if Rexxer have an ecu 'lock-out' feature ? ie. to prevent say Aprilia Service seeing and/or even 'clobbering' the Rexxer map.

Bike Garage:

This has been discussed before

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=196270

concerns around cost and lack of graphs seem to be the main concerns

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderDorso View Post
    Thanks for the lead on this. I've already sent TPM a message....

Did MPR do the refinements via a dyno or 'seat of the pant' ?

And yep, TPS reset is standard practice for service upgrades.

Just been reading up on Rexxer. I'm familair with Bosch (Audi etc) ecu flashing, do you know if Rexxer have an ecu 'lock-out' feature ? ie. to prevent say Aprilia Service seeing and/or even 'clobbering' the Rexxer map.

From what I understand, Gary modified the map before I took the bike in to MPR. So its not yet customised for my particular bike - MPR suggested that I ride it for a while and get an idea of where any improvements are needed and they will then fine tune it if required. They don't have an in house dyno, so it would all be seat of the pants I guess unless we organise some dyno time at another shop.

No idea about the lock out - I was thinking about the same thing actually, like what if you take it to the dealer and some apprentice gets on the computer and wipes your custom map and replaces it with the Aprilia map! Stuff like this does happen - the last time I took my bike to the dealer they installed the 25kw map on it and when I pointed out their mistake they tried to tell me that was the map Aprilia recommended . I won't be going back to the dealer unless absolutely necessary and I'm pretty sure the rexxer can diagnose and clear fault codes as well so I can't see any reason why I will need to, other than if I have a warranty problem.

I might be wrong but as far as I recall the Memjet set to zero will lean out the mixture. I think about 2 or 3 would have it the same as no Memjet at all.

Maybe your DIY Memjet is different.
    Last edited by Shiv; 05-03-2012 at 09:09 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    I think that is the case with a genuine memjet but my DIY version is just a 10k potentiometer wired into the air temp sensor so I would have thought that set to zero it should be providing no extra resistance and therefore have no effect. I'm no electronics expert though so I could be wrong.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast