Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Someone wondered how well the new Panigale would hold up in a crash

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    apriliaforum Junkie klowry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Temecula, Ca.
    Posts
    488

    Someone wondered how well the new Panigale would hold up in a crash


  2. #2
    apriliaforum expert jrflanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    13,586
    That'll buff right out.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

    gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

    The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

  3. #3
    apriliaforum expert cantcode86's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Goose Creek SC
    Posts
    556
    I'm not a Big fan of the bike but I'd like to see the video to see how bad it really was. The aftermath is pretty bad.

  4. #4
    apriliaforum expert zvez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    3,233
    Here's the photo series on the wreck, pretty incredible, this is the teams' fb page.

    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7829087&type=3

    Quote Originally Posted by cantcode86 View Post
    I'm not a Big fan of the bike but I'd like to see the video to see how bad it really was. The aftermath is pretty bad.
    Chris

    a few bikes

  5. #5
    apriliaforum prov-nov twordsdiverged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    67
    Now I actually find the 1199 to be one of the more attractive Ducatis in recent memory. I had been wondering how using the motor as more of a stressed part of the frame than in other bikes using the same approach would turn out in a crash. The rider was likely traveling faster than the average person on the street, but the track also tends to have fewer trees, cars, and guard rails to contend with. If that is how the 1199s look after a put down, Ducati might as well issue a pistol with each one sold so you can put it out of its misery and send it to the glue factory/scrap yard (you get the point).

  6. #6
    apriliaforum expert zvez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    3,233
    Well I think he was going more than a little bit faster, he's a racer testing a race bike and said he was going into turn one flat out at Kyalami (south africa), said the front end washed out.

    But a monocoque by definition will be more severely damaged with no trellis frame, but any bike with any frame would have been a write off after that crash. Just look at the sequence pics the bike's about 10 ft in the air.

    As to a writeoff, well that's what insurance is for, tho I expect it'll be higher because of the construction. you play you got to pay.

    Quote Originally Posted by twordsdiverged View Post
    Now I actually find the 1199 to be one of the more attractive Ducatis in recent memory. I had been wondering how using the motor as more of a stressed part of the frame than in other bikes using the same approach would turn out in a crash. The rider was likely traveling faster than the average person on the street, but the track also tends to have fewer trees, cars, and guard rails to contend with. If that is how the 1199s look after a put down, Ducati might as well issue a pistol with each one sold so you can put it out of its misery and send it to the glue factory/scrap yard (you get the point).
    Chris

    a few bikes

  7. #7
    apriliaforum prov-nov twordsdiverged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by zvez View Post
    Well I think he was going more than a little bit faster, he's a racer testing a race bike and said he was going into turn one flat out at Kyalami (south africa), said the front end washed out.

    But a monocoque by definition will be more severely damaged with no trellis frame, but any bike with any frame would have been a write off after that crash. Just look at the sequence pics the bike's about 10 ft in the air.

    As to a writeoff, well that's what insurance is for, tho I expect it'll be higher because of the construction. you play you got to pay.
    My point was actually not to compare a monocoque to a trellis, but this monocoque to other monocoques. I am by no means an engineer, but the bike simply looks fragile compared to say the NR500.

    As usual though...it may all be in my head....usually is....

  8. #8
    apriliaforum expert cantcode86's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Goose Creek SC
    Posts
    556
    Man those pictures tell a better tail of what happened. The rider looked like the rider made it decent.

    I'd still like to see how one takes a less violent crash. Most framed bike would have made it out a little better but still would have been scrap. The sand does it's job well but it does have a tenancy to send bikes in the air. I tucked the front end at Jennings in turn 1 It sent my bike 6' in the air, when it hit the sand. Yes I know, not the same.

  9. #9
    apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    2,189
    When ever we tried to fix a ducati - they most often are an insurance total. Any little crack in the trellis frame causes a full frame replacement and thus a full total. The insurance companies would bring many to my old shop - and others local shops. And many owners bought the salvage and then - welded/fixed the frame and kept the bike

    It may be interesting that this monocoque frame may be a value -as a salvage bike if we could source the parts.
    A salvage 1199s might be a fun..... winter project....
    present

    Healing - looking for a "new" aprilia
    Last "Nera" RSVR sold to a good home

    5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •