Thread: Someone wondered how well the new Panigale would hold up in a crash

Hybrid View

Someone wondered how well the new Panigale would hold up in a crash

That'll buff right out.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

I'm not a Big fan of the bike but I'd like to see the video to see how bad it really was. The aftermath is pretty bad.

Here's the photo series on the wreck, pretty incredible, this is the teams' fb page.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7829087&type=3

Quote Originally Posted by cantcode86 View Post
    I'm not a Big fan of the bike but I'd like to see the video to see how bad it really was. The aftermath is pretty bad.
    Chris

a few bikes

apriliaforum prov-nov twordsdiverged's Avatar
    Now I actually find the 1199 to be one of the more attractive Ducatis in recent memory. I had been wondering how using the motor as more of a stressed part of the frame than in other bikes using the same approach would turn out in a crash. The rider was likely traveling faster than the average person on the street, but the track also tends to have fewer trees, cars, and guard rails to contend with. If that is how the 1199s look after a put down, Ducati might as well issue a pistol with each one sold so you can put it out of its misery and send it to the glue factory/scrap yard (you get the point).

Well I think he was going more than a little bit faster, he's a racer testing a race bike and said he was going into turn one flat out at Kyalami (south africa), said the front end washed out.

But a monocoque by definition will be more severely damaged with no trellis frame, but any bike with any frame would have been a write off after that crash. Just look at the sequence pics the bike's about 10 ft in the air.

As to a writeoff, well that's what insurance is for, tho I expect it'll be higher because of the construction. you play you got to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by twordsdiverged View Post
    Now I actually find the 1199 to be one of the more attractive Ducatis in recent memory. I had been wondering how using the motor as more of a stressed part of the frame than in other bikes using the same approach would turn out in a crash. The rider was likely traveling faster than the average person on the street, but the track also tends to have fewer trees, cars, and guard rails to contend with. If that is how the 1199s look after a put down, Ducati might as well issue a pistol with each one sold so you can put it out of its misery and send it to the glue factory/scrap yard (you get the point).
    Chris

a few bikes

apriliaforum prov-nov twordsdiverged's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zvez View Post
    Well I think he was going more than a little bit faster, he's a racer testing a race bike and said he was going into turn one flat out at Kyalami (south africa), said the front end washed out.

But a monocoque by definition will be more severely damaged with no trellis frame, but any bike with any frame would have been a write off after that crash. Just look at the sequence pics the bike's about 10 ft in the air.

As to a writeoff, well that's what insurance is for, tho I expect it'll be higher because of the construction. you play you got to pay.
    My point was actually not to compare a monocoque to a trellis, but this monocoque to other monocoques. I am by no means an engineer, but the bike simply looks fragile compared to say the NR500.

As usual though...it may all be in my head....usually is....

Man those pictures tell a better tail of what happened. The rider looked like the rider made it decent.

I'd still like to see how one takes a less violent crash. Most framed bike would have made it out a little better but still would have been scrap. The sand does it's job well but it does have a tenancy to send bikes in the air. I tucked the front end at Jennings in turn 1 It sent my bike 6' in the air, when it hit the sand. Yes I know, not the same.

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    When ever we tried to fix a ducati - they most often are an insurance total. Any little crack in the trellis frame causes a full frame replacement and thus a full total. The insurance companies would bring many to my old shop - and others local shops. And many owners bought the salvage and then - welded/fixed the frame and kept the bike

It may be interesting that this monocoque frame may be a value -as a salvage bike if we could source the parts.
    A salvage 1199s might be a fun..... winter project....
    present

Healing - looking for a "new" aprilia
    Last "Nera" RSVR sold to a good home

5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention