Thread: New to everything - restoring an SR50

Hybrid View

apriliaforum newb

New to everything - restoring an SR50

I bought an SR50m year 2000 sight unseen for nearly nothing. The previous owner was NOT concerned about the scooter. As I've been giving progress reports to the previous owner, it's clear to me he had no love for the vehicle at all. I restored the plastics and he wasn't even aware what color his bike was when he owned it! I would like to know specifically what model this is. VIN says it's type MZH, but I can't determine what that means.

Anyhow, yesterday I was able to get the engine to run and STAY running until I felt it had run long enough by removing the gas tank and hose, air filter, spraying some starter fluid into the carb, and kicking it. It started on the first kick, had a 'reasonable' amount of blue smoke, and revved up nicely. It's got 4500 miles on it, but is in BAD shape cosmetically. I have spark, compression, and it ran evenly (with blue smoke) and turned off only when I turned it off. I don't think I let it run for more than 10 seconds. I assume there's still fuel coming from the hose, because I disconnected the tank AT the tank.

The previous owner drove it for the last time late summer 2011 and sold it to me as a non-functional bike.

It's got cracks in the 90 degree pipe from the air filter to the carb. Someone had (unsuccessfully) used electrical tape and caulk to seal the cracks. I've got a new pipe on order, as well as an air filter. I'm also replacing the stock muffler (very rusty) with a LeoVince TT when it shows up. Also going to replace the seat cover, and a few other cosmetic updates.
    I've replaced the spark plug with a new one without gapping it. Since the scooter started, even though I have gauges, I may not gap it. Since the scooter RAN, I wonder if it's worth taking the carb out to clean it, or just spray some cleaner in there once I'm assured the fuel/oil system is functioning properly.
    Which brings up my MAIN QUESTION - Would I be doing myself a service or disservice by premixing oil and gas and putting the same mixture in both gas and oil tanks? I don't trust any single part of this neglected scooter until I SEE it running properly.

Other questions - The scooter had no battery, and the + and - wires had gotten so hot that the insulation melted off. I can't disconnect the connector about 18 inches from the battery lugs, as it appears to have gotten so hot it fused itself. The melted wires go back as far as I have been able to trace so far with my mind more focused on the engine than electrical. What could have caused this? Do I need to rewire EVERYTHING, or just the mains?
    - There is a short pipe coming out from the bottom of the carb that has a four inch plastic tube with slotted openings. Before I removed the fuel tank, when I tried to kickstart, fuel would drip out of this hose. What IS this hose? Why does it drip onto the inside of the bottom plastic?

A question that will go unanswered - How in the world could a scooter with less than 5000 miles get so greasy/rusty/sun damaged? It should look like new!

apriliaforum newb
    Well, I've got the scooter cosmetically rejuvenated. Electrical system had a terrible combination of shorts and opens, but that's all fixed as well. New seat covers, etc.

Now I'm stumped. I am a handy person, but I've never gotten involved with carburetors. This one has these symptoms, and I could really use some help in tuning it:
    I got the scooter in non-running condition with fuel in the tank for who knows how long. I removed the tank. BEFORE cleaning the carb I tried using a shot of starter fluid and the motor started on the first crank. The fuel in the carb allowed the motor to run evenly as long as I dared keep the motor running. However - There was a LOT of fuel and oil coming out of the overflow pipe.
    Yesterday I took the carb out and gave it a good cleaning. and put BP 93 octane in the completely empty tank, fuel lines, and carb. Air filters, etc were all in place, no starter fluid, lets give it a start. Again, the motor started up on the first crank. It ran for about ten seconds and cut out when I opened the throttle. There was about a ten inch wide puddle of fuel from the overflow pipe again, and I have not been able to start the engine since.
    One problem I still need to fix - The throttle cable is frozen from rust. When I removed it from the carb in the cleaning process the cable snapped about an inch from the carb. (very rusty). I think the throttle is frozen 'down'.
    I can't find a throttle cable for a 2000 SR50 anywhere, and it's obvious I need to replace mine. (anyone know where I can get a cable?)

One favor. I have more places to put hoses than I have hoses. What do each of these numbered 'hose holders' do?

Name:  Screen shot 2012-05-06 at 8.03.47 PM.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  62.5 KB

(prior to edit I asked why fuel only pours out when the engine runs. I know the vacuum fuel tap prevents fuel from flowing unless the engine is moving.)
    Last edited by Welchomatic; 05-06-2012 at 07:05 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    I found my problem - The float needle had a bent tip. Letting it sit in free space allowed the rubber to reform to it's proper form.

apriliaforum newb
    Now I know I only need to concern myself with the sections on the carb I've numbered 1 and 5. 1 applies Vacuum to the Fuel Valve, which allows fuel to drop into the carb through an entrance not shown on my photo's angle. 5 is for the oil mix Two Stroke Engines require. I got the engine working VERY well, and have one last problem with the scooter -
    This has a Manual Choke. The cable is stuck. As far as I can tell, it's stuck at the Handlebar Choke Lever. I can't get the thing to move more than half a mm, and i don't see any movement on the cable. I found a place that sells replacement levers for $10USD, but the minimum order is $100. I've got a replacement cable, just in case that is where it's bound, but as I explore the problem I think it's the lever.

Does anyone know how to get the lever off the handlebar? That thing is behaving like it's been superglued on there. This is the single last repair I need to do to my $175 scooter to have it running perfectly.