Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accomodation near Le Man

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar

Accomodation near Le Man

Looking for any recommendations for a biker friendly (or at least a place with secure parking spot) for two nights mid may near Le Mans.
    Left it late and its clashing with the gp there so if anyone knows a good b and b or the like shout.
    Ps, Cherbough to Annecy. My sat nav and aa route planner are both suggesting via Paris!, any opinion on a good alternate route thats more direct appeciated.
    Brum Brum

Hi TC,
    Not the answer you need, sorry.
    But have you checked the ferry from Rosslare to Roscoff - is it any cheaper or better than Ireland to UK, then UK to France?
    Used to be good deals such as vouchers for ferry to UK.
    Dave

Oops, sorry TC you've already said that your going to Cherbourg.
    My name is Dave,
    bike's name is Black Betty.

When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then.

Caponord - Douglas Dragonfly - 1942 Harley back again
    Pegaso - Matchless G3LS - BSA A7SS - 1942 Harley - Matchless G80/600cc - Matchless G3LS - BSA C15 - Velocette

Quote Originally Posted by brmbrm View Post
    Hi TC,
    Not the answer you need, sorry.
    But have you checked the ferry from Rosslare to Roscoff - is it any cheaper or better than Ireland to UK, then UK to France?
    Used to be good deals such as vouchers for ferry to UK.
    Dave
    Oops, sorry TC you've already said that your going to Cherbourg.

Cheers Dave,
    Were headed out of Rosslare so like ye say Cherbourg is the destination.
    Im guessing il have fun finding a b and b in the area with the gp on a few days later :-(
    In other news ive managed to blag a new tour x for the trip thats in it, treat myself ya know,
    Name:  lid.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  18.1 KB
    Now i can realise a childhood dream look like this
    Name:  st.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  43.8 KB
    hahah!
    Brum Brum

TTC, PM if you want. Capokarine may have some ideas. (This is her stomping ground)

You could always scare the b-jesus out of the mother in law and stay with her, but she is in Lorient, a bit far away. And her English is a bit rusty.
    The father in law lives in Pont L'eveque. He has a spare room and a great sense of humour. But that sounds out of the way as well.

What are your plans? Anywhere particular?

Oh and Breizh22 is around that way, although I think from memory he lives near St. Malo.

Mods (so far): Aprilia Rally Raid handle bars, bar clamp, front seat, rear seat, rear shock absorber, suspension link, front guard, headlight stone guard and lower chain guard. Replica RR sump guard. Leo Vince exhaust, Catfish Mapping. Mk2 Top fairing, painted to match. Moto Guzzi hand guards. Aprilia Dorso indicators. Honda CBR600 Reg/rec. Autocom Intercom. Aux fuse block under seat. Taller screen. Hepco & Betker side and rear racks. Trax Evo panniers. Aprilia Pegaso topbox. Palmer aux bracket. BMW GPS quick release mount. Cyclops LED spot lights. Anakee 2 Tyres. And probably something else I can't think of right now!

http://capoandrew.blogspot.com

Andrew your certaintly a fella with wordwide contacts!

Thanks a mill for the invites, but two foreign strangers pulling up on loud european twins and promptly getting blind drunk whilst regailing all present with our daring tales of biking heroism will destroy your kudos with your inlaws

The plan is to get to here

Name:  lake.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  143.8 KB
    Lake Annecy
    http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com....ed=0CDsQ8gEwAA

From cherbourg its coming in at 900 odd kms (supposedly a 9hr ride says route planner)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	route.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	189311
    Hence the stop off in Le Mans as we land in Cherbourg at 17:00 and could do there to Annecy more comfortably the next morning leaving early. Hopefully Dipso's seat low seat will be more comfy that the original one!

Not mad on hitting Paris and both the sat nav and route planner are suggesting it. Seems to take us right into the thick of it too, have a closer look, mmm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paris.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	189312
    We were thinking Caen to Orleans would be more as the crow flies but not too sure on what kinda roads to expect so must dig some more on that. Any advice from you or the missus would be appreciated Andrew.

When we get to Annecy we have accomodation booked for and plan on using it as a base to explore the western side of the Swiss alps
    Name:  ridemeswissroll.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  134.1 KB
    The bike is undergoing some final fettling in thehope she stays reliable. This is the forst time il have taken her far far away from home. Nervous about it as i usually use the blackbird which just keeps on keeping on but i hope for the best and plan for the worst!
    Anyway, thats the craic she said with one leg up'n dash! Well you did ask!
    Brum Brum

Let me have a chat with "le Femme". She may have some ideas. Personally I wouldn't stay in Le Man. The town is a fairly large one without a lot of soul. There are a million other places much nicer. (And probably a hell of a lot cheaper.)

My Bro-in-law lives in Renne, he may have some ideas as well.

You don't have to go into Paris, you can skirt around on the the Periphique.

Just a suggestion, try using the "B" roads. The main freeways have a pile of tolls between the coast and Paris. The vary in cost from 5-6 Euro to 14 Euro.

Mods (so far): Aprilia Rally Raid handle bars, bar clamp, front seat, rear seat, rear shock absorber, suspension link, front guard, headlight stone guard and lower chain guard. Replica RR sump guard. Leo Vince exhaust, Catfish Mapping. Mk2 Top fairing, painted to match. Moto Guzzi hand guards. Aprilia Dorso indicators. Honda CBR600 Reg/rec. Autocom Intercom. Aux fuse block under seat. Taller screen. Hepco & Betker side and rear racks. Trax Evo panniers. Aprilia Pegaso topbox. Palmer aux bracket. BMW GPS quick release mount. Cyclops LED spot lights. Anakee 2 Tyres. And probably something else I can't think of right now!

BTW, Feckin envious boy-O

And
    destroy your kudos with your inlaws
    . I doubt it. They think I'm the the best thing since sliced Baguette.

Bugger if I know why??? Maybe it's the accent!! LOL
    Last edited by Capoandrew; 04-23-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Com'ere Andrew, ive been let off the leash to do this but i tell ya these opportunities come up rarely, i feel like this lad a bit
    Name:  goldenticket.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  56.1 KB

Well ive painted a purdy picture there alright and it will all go to sh1te if it lashes so heres hoping!

Am i right in thinking the Periphique is jointed with traffic? Were wary of doing it tbh. Whatcha reckon on Le Mans to Orleans to Dijon instead and cutting out the capital altogether?

Speaing of Rennes, we got hopelessly lost there last time out! Swore we would steer clear in future haha.

Yeah the tolls can really rack up alright, if we can stay off them and have some senic stuff then thats what we will do. Must get zumo savvy and do some route planning..

Ps; yes outside the lilting dulcet tones of the folk from Cork the next coolest accent is Aussie, followed closely by Psycho Pato (a cork man) doing an impression of a Welsh man ha!
    Brum Brum

Try This.
    Better off trying to stay in Tours as it's much nicer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	France Trip.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	189341  

apriliaforum expert ScatmanJack's Avatar
    For what it's worth TC, I would agree 100% with Capoandrew and stay well away from Paris. (unless you want to get romantic and propose on the top of the Eiffel tower) The route thru Tours seems like a much better option !!
    "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !!" Toby Keith

1982 Honda CBX 1000, Needs a big hug and a lot of TLC !
    1998 Honda VFR800 F1, Long gone to a new home.
    2003 Yamaha FJR 1300 , a turbine on 2 wheels !!
    2004 BMW K1200s The Proverbial Rocket Ship, gone into orbit !!
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 1000, My 1st introduction to VTwin's
    2006 Honda Pan European, only bought and sold to make a few quid !!
    2008 Suzuki Vstrom 1000, A great all rounder, now gone on it's holiday's and residing in the sunny Algarve !!
    2004 Caponord, My Future is Orange, now hear the Lion roar !!
    2005 Pegaso Strada, My latest Pony to arrive in the Stable !!
    www.bikevisireland.ie

Hi again TC,
    I know the best way is to get a personnal recommendation for a B & B.
    But the Via Michelin site is quite good and lists loads of hotels in Le Mans.
    Dave
    My name is Dave,
    bike's name is Black Betty.

When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then.

Caponord - Douglas Dragonfly - 1942 Harley back again
    Pegaso - Matchless G3LS - BSA A7SS - 1942 Harley - Matchless G80/600cc - Matchless G3LS - BSA C15 - Velocette

Quote Originally Posted by Capoandrew View Post
    Try This.
    Better off trying to stay in Tours as it's much nicer.

Now that looks much better Andrew and all the while steering clear of Paris.
    I must study up my zumo yoke and figure out how to tell it to do that route il be laughing. Gone are the days of pulling out a map eh.
    We have this place http://www.lalunelake.co.uk/LaLuneLa...Breakfast.html sorted so its looking good, they are biker friendly and cheap enough for seperate rooms so we wont be keeping each other awake snoring haha..
    Thanks for the advice lads!
    Brum Brum

apriliaforum Member
    Mr Toe

I've done many many many trips through and around France, including 6 or so on my Caponord, and all in excess of 2.5k miles and always without any bike problems whatsoever.

As you probably know already, France is a stunning country, however you'll miss most of it if you spend too long on the Autoroute, plus you'll be bored as a bored thing. Migh be worth sitting it out for a couple of hours on the autoroute as soon as you get off the boat and then hit the N & D roads where possible, you'll see so much more and find some really unusual and quaint places.

As for Paris, and in fact all major cities and towns, avoid like the plague........they're much the same wherever you go.

Places to stay........I've never ever booked ahead and never stuggled to find a place to stay, France has plenty of hotels/B&B's. We usually start looking around 5 ish, giving time for shower a change of clothing and then food and beers. Almost all small towns/large villages have somewhere to stay, a bar and a restaurant of some description.

Personally I'd go closer to Paris, perhaps following down through Chartres, Auxerre & Beaune, but from Chartre I'd be off the main routes and enjoying the D roads.

Whatever you choose.....enjoy!

Oh.......and Le Mans is a hole........stayed there once, not again!
    Lance

Oh.......and Le Mans is a hole.
    Hmmm, I was at least trying to be polite to my missus's country folk.

I had a bit of a chat with Karine and she concurred with the route. The only thing interesting in Le Man is the museum at the track or for about 7EUR you can go for a ride around the track. (We missed out last time on the drive because of some truck racing) The museum is actually quite interesting and we both enjoyed a lot.

Karine also said Tours is a very pretty place and worth a look. She couldn't remember exactly, but she said there were some nice B&B's just outside of Tours.

The rest of the trip to Annecy you could do anyway you like, although I would stick to the B roads down that way. Some of the C roads are ok, but can be a bit rough in places.

Karine also mentioned that Lyon is quite a nice place to visit, although it is fairly large and a bit like Paris in some ways. She was also jealous of you going to Annecy, she said it was very beautiful.

When you heading off TC? We will be there in July (for a wedding). We could of had a few pints together and teach these frenchies how to drink!!

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Mr Toe

I've done many many many trips through and around France, including 6 or so on my Caponord, and all in excess of 2.5k miles and always without any bike problems whatsoever.

As you probably know already, France is a stunning country, however you'll miss most of it if you spend too long on the Autoroute, plus you'll be bored as a bored thing. Migh be worth sitting it out for a couple of hours on the autoroute as soon as you get off the boat and then hit the N & D roads where possible, you'll see so much more and find some really unusual and quaint places.

As for Paris, and in fact all major cities and towns, avoid like the plague........they're much the same wherever you go.

Places to stay........I've never ever booked ahead and never stuggled to find a place to stay, France has plenty of hotels/B&B's. We usually start looking around 5 ish, giving time for shower a change of clothing and then food and beers. Almost all small towns/large villages have somewhere to stay, a bar and a restaurant of some description.

Personally I'd go closer to Paris, perhaps following down through Chartres, Auxerre & Beaune, but from Chartre I'd be off the main routes and enjoying the D roads.

Whatever you choose.....enjoy!

Oh.......and Le Mans is a hole........stayed there once, not again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Capoandrew View Post
    Hmmm, I was at least trying to be polite to my missus's country folk.

I had a bit of a chat with Karine and she concurred with the route. The only thing interesting in Le Man is the museum at the track or for about 7EUR you can go for a ride around the track. (We missed out last time on the drive because of some truck racing) The museum is actually quite interesting and we both enjoyed a lot.

Karine also said Tours is a very pretty place and worth a look. She couldn't remember exactly, but she said there were some nice B&B's just outside of Tours.

The rest of the trip to Annecy you could do anyway you like, although I would stick to the B roads down that way. Some of the C roads are ok, but can be a bit rough in places.

Karine also mentioned that Lyon is quite a nice place to visit, although it is fairly large and a bit like Paris in some ways. She was also jealous of you going to Annecy, she said it was very beautiful.

When you heading off TC? We will be there in July (for a wedding). We could of had a few pints together and teach these frenchies how to drink!!
    Cheers much for the advice lads, appreciated indeed.
    We now have that place confirmed for first and last night of the trip. Just inder 200miles from Cherbourg and 460miles from Annecy.
    To a certain extent we are looking to chrunch the mileage to the destination as we plan on cramming in as much riding in round the alps as we can. Im not overly anxious to just straightline it to Annecy on a tolled motorway so might look into a nice few diversions along the way.

Andrew Tours is a deffo on the route! Never been so looking forward to seeing it.
    Lance i hear ye on Le Mans being not the best. The only reason were staying there at all is its all the mileage we could do after departing the boat at 5:00 in the avo so needs must. It will be jointed with bikes coming home with the gp. Attended it a couple years back and the camera zoomed right in on us cheering Marco and the missus even saw us on eurosport coverage haha!
    Brum Brum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast