Thread: Ignition coils UK

Ignition coils UK

Hi all
    Just a quick question. It appears that I have a coil breaking down intermittent (code No 36), tho only for initial first few miles then EFI light goes out. Obviously its going to go worse! Just rang local dealer MCO in wigan who no longer do aprilia parts! Doh. A quick ebay search leads me to Tech Autos selling them. Anybody any experince of these aftermarket coils? And do i really need to swap the HT lead aswell?
    T.I.A.
    Lance

These are the so-called Amrish coils that were developed in conjunction with a forum inmate; Amrish was the original manufacturer, but he recently sold the company to his brother - and the price immediately almost doubled!
    As I dislike gouging, I'd be more inclined to modify a French automotive coil; details and pictures are on this very site, plus details about what to test to make sure that it is, in fact, a dead coil. Plus a search will reveal the Halfords code for better, cheaper HT leads - andalso a method of relocating the inaccessible but vulnerable front coils.
    Search is your friend!
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capor+r View Post
    Hi all
    Just a quick question. It appears that I have a coil breaking down intermittent (code No 36), tho only for initial first few miles then EFI light goes out. Obviously its going to go worse! Just rang local dealer MCO in wigan who no longer do aprilia parts! Doh. A quick ebay search leads me to Tech Autos selling them. Anybody any experince of these aftermarket coils? And do i really need to swap the HT lead aswell?
    T.I.A.
    Lance
    Changed a coil last year and another 2 weeks back, Tech auto coils work perfectly. Straight forward swap over. Quick delivery too.

Code 36 should indicate which coil has died, if not, starting with the rear two, plug cap off, spare plug in cap, gap on the head and turn engine over, if it sparks try another coil until you find one that doesn't. Neither of my coil failures gave a code, but each time one clearly wasn't sparking.
    Lance

As Precis says they are known as the Amrish coil, code 36 is the rear cylinder outside plug you can as Precis says use a french automotive coil as in it needs to be a Renault/Pergeot/Citroen V6 coil DO NOT PURCHASE 4 CYLINDER COILS they don' thave the correct low tension connector. there is a thread on here telling you how to modify the V6 coils but all that is required is to remove the bracket and shorten the nose of the coil to the same length as your Aprilia coil with a fine hacksaw. If you need new leads Fiat 1.4 Marea leads from Halfords fit and because you get two fairly long leads this enables you to move the front coils to a more accesable place under the seat. Both these mods are covered in other threads just use the search and you will find them.Links below for coil / leads. Steve

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ignition-C...item588f50218e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-BRAVA...item20c27f15b2
    Last edited by GRUMPYGIT; 04-16-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: add link

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capor+r View Post
    Hi all
    T.I.A.
    Lance
    HI I fitted the Tech autos coils and have had no problems with them i replaced all four to be on the safe side but also did all the other mods we need to do on these bikes and it runs and now starts fine 600 miles this weekend in rain hale sun and snow glad i did not give up on the bike and go for the GS

apriliaforum Member somersetrider44's Avatar
    listen to grumpygit(steve),he pointed me in the right direction with the v6 coils,and they're cheaper than most other replacements.
    commonly known as dave

Quote Originally Posted by somersetrider44 View Post
    listen to grumpygit(steve),he pointed me in the right direction with the v6 coils,and they're cheaper than most other replacements.
    We old boys do know what we are talking about sometimes!!!!!!

(2003 Infinity Blue Capo) - Leo Vince x3 Cans/K&N Air filter/Snorkle-less/Catfish Map/ZX-6R FH016 Mosphet Rectifier/Front Coils re-located/Metal Fuel CRC Fixings/Brown Connector-less/Hyperpro Springs F&R/Rear Hugger/R&G Heated Grips/Krauser Alloy Panniers/Givi G45 Box/BMW GS1150 HandGuards with Touratech Extensions/Kawasaki Z1000 Mirrors/CREE LED's/Wilks Raid Rep Sump Guard & aprilia Crash Bars, re-covered seats with 25mm extra memory foam + Lots of Stickers..

(1990 Kawasaki ZZ-R 1100C1)Standard apart from Remus Innovation S/S Full System, ZXR750 full lift Carbtops & RenTec Rack+painted barends & a few fasteners..

(1977 Yamaha XS750 2D) Original as it left the factory apart from new rubber..!!!..

the coils I used are from the 4 cylinder scenic, and they work perfectly on my Caponord, I will have some spares somewhere to get shut of too
    Chris

Mayo, Dublin & Amersfoort since June 2012

Citroen V6 Ignition Coils

I lost 2 coils last year, in the heat of summer and depths of winter.
    I replaced with the Amrish cols, but to be honest I never liked the Amrish coil, kinda looks cheap, worried its a chinese copy, seriously.

Lots of Valeo chinese copies on market
    Capo never sounded as sweet after Amrish coils, also brand new HT lead was leaking and arcing to the cyl head, could have been very serious,
    only noticed when I had teh seat off and decided to crank the bike up.

So, I bought Four Citroen C6 (V6) coils this week, just waiting for delivery.
    I got 2 Beru (0040100347) & 2 Valeo (245094), just to mix it up, I'll keep the original 2 front OEM coils as spares and relocate front coils to under seat.
    Then a trip to Halfords to get the right Fiat HT Leads or any good quality Lead.

Bought from Mister Auto,
    http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/coil...8771_g689.html
    K&N filter, snorkel-less, HyperPro front/rear springs, modified 051123 ecu map.

I remember a couple of the guys using Amrish coils and one of them had faulty leads from new and the other was getting weird dwell angles from the coil and not running so good . Steve

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYGIT View Post
    I remember a couple of the guys using Amrish coils and one of them had faulty leads from new and the other was getting weird dwell angles from the coil and not running so good . Steve
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...+dwell+figures
    Good memory Steve.
    Brum Brum

apriliaforum Member somersetrider44's Avatar
    big steve,it's ok for you to be old,us young-uns will make allowances for you,
    commonly known as dave

Quote Originally Posted by somersetrider44 View Post
    big steve,it's ok for you to be old,us young-uns will make allowances for you,
    Steady......

(2003 Infinity Blue Capo) - Leo Vince x3 Cans/K&N Air filter/Snorkle-less/Catfish Map/ZX-6R FH016 Mosphet Rectifier/Front Coils re-located/Metal Fuel CRC Fixings/Brown Connector-less/Hyperpro Springs F&R/Rear Hugger/R&G Heated Grips/Krauser Alloy Panniers/Givi G45 Box/BMW GS1150 HandGuards with Touratech Extensions/Kawasaki Z1000 Mirrors/CREE LED's/Wilks Raid Rep Sump Guard & aprilia Crash Bars, re-covered seats with 25mm extra memory foam + Lots of Stickers..

(1990 Kawasaki ZZ-R 1100C1)Standard apart from Remus Innovation S/S Full System, ZXR750 full lift Carbtops & RenTec Rack+painted barends & a few fasteners..

(1977 Yamaha XS750 2D) Original as it left the factory apart from new rubber..!!!..