Thread: Is my clutch "broken"?

apriliaforum Member

Is my clutch "broken"?

Hello everyone. =)

I still have the stock clutch. The problem is that I need higher take-off RPM than I have now. I have tried every clutch spring that I have: LeoVince's red ones, all of the Malossi and Polini springs for original clutch but my bike still starts moving at like 4-5k RPM. It doesn't matter which springs I use - engagement of clutch is always the same. This is very strange because the springs should be different...

This wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but what it does is this: If I turn the throttle slowly, the scooter starts moving at like 4k RPM. I can feel there is absolutely no power at those RPMs at all, because if I keep my feet on the ground I can keep the scooter stand still until like 6000-6500 RPM. If I go WOT immediately from a stand still the scooter "crawls" until it gets to ~7000 RPM and then it begins to accelerate like it should from a start! This can be hear from the sound of the SR50 as well.

So what would be the optimum take-off RPM? I have read it should be like there where the power-band begins (so it would be like 6k-7k)?

I guess there's no way to get the clutch engage later than changing the whole clutch to a clutch that can be adjusted properly.

Also, could this problem be caused by something else than the clutch springs?

Thank you!
    2010 SR50 R Factory - Piaggio Purejet

ECU Derestricted (2.8.0) / LeoVince ZX-R / Water Trap / NGK ZMR7AP (.035") / +3 Woodruff Key
    Malossi Multivar 2000 / 7.5g Sliders / Malossi White Contra Spring / Polini Blue Clutch Springs
    Stage6 Wing Cooler Clutch Bell / Malossi Red Sponge Filter

Michelin Pilot Sport SC 130/60-13 (front and rear) / Buzzetti Sidestand / Polished Variator Cover
    Lennes SR50 Aluminium Foot Plates & Radiator Grille / Kiesler Underseat / Stage6 Mirror

I think your clutch is normal since even if you have the hardest springs and you accelerate very slowly it will engage sooner and if you go wot it will engage later as its with your case.
    SR DiTech Piaggio c361 2005
    Polini Kit 70cc Polini Bowl
    Malossi Multivar 2000 Original Piaggio Contra Spring
    Rollers Malossi HT 7.5 grams Malossi Special Belt
    Elf Moto Tech2 Malossi Gears HTQ 14/39
    Gianelli Reverse Air Diffuser 20mm
    Clutch Stage6 Torque Control MKII RMS Crank
    Woodruff Key 3degrees Malossi Air Filter
    Malossi VL13 0.30mm Water Trap
    Fuel Pump Mod Ecu Derestricted version 2.8.0
    Spark Plug NGK ZMR7AP Sava MC 29 Sporty 3+
    Lights Philips Master LED spot LV10w
    Brembo brake pads Stage6 Disk 260mm Aprilia Raceing Shock "Paioli"

p.s the rollers that you have are too heavy for normal 50cc try 5 or 5.3 grams you will see clear difference as i say with mine also with heavier rollers the engageing of the clutch is sooner its strange but thats what ive notices when ive put 7.2.....

He has a Multivar 2000 like your self 7.2 is correct

Your clutch sounds about right. The clutch is about right at 5-6k from WOT

Yes the has multivar but multivar rollers are 7.2g and main reason is that is intended to be used with kit as it is from the box and by this i mean he can optimize it for 50cc and ive tried the multivar on 50cc the 7.2 where too heavy and ive used 4.3 in the stock variator with great results and when ive put them in multivar they where too light since all aftermarket variators like a bit of heavier rollers than the stock and by all i mean normal variators like multivar2000 and not 2008.....

I agree with Rosscofat, for 50cc and the Malossi 2000, 7.2g rollers are perfect. They bring the WOT RPM to the perfect range for the LeoVince ZX-R
    For 50cc and stock variator, 5.1g rollers are perfect for ZX-R

apriliaforum expert NoNameForEver's Avatar
    Cool... Didn't know there was such a difference between stock and Multivar on Piaggios weight wise..I learned something new today..

The rollers all depend on how strong the contrast spring is. Sounds like the rollers are too heavy for the spring or vise-versa the contrast spring is too light for the rollers.
    mate
    2010 RS125 Gloss Black
    Arrow Exhaust (E Marked) | Moto Tassinari vForce3 Reed Block
    2002 SR50 Morini Ditech Matte Black SBK Replica 50cc
    Leo Vince GP can | 68cc Kit (Malossi) | Full Circle Crank (Malossi MHR HPC) | Primary gear kit (Malossi) | vForce2 reed block (Top Performances\Moto Tassinari) | 19mm bored throttle body
    2002 SR50 Morini Ditech blue 50cc FOR SALE (daily rider) 100aprilias/hr (80km/h)
    ECU "development mode" (apparently) | 19mm bored TB | Carbon reeds | Std. Variator | 6.0g Rollers [slightly heavy but good] (Malossi) | Std. Clutch | Red Contra Spring [Racing] (Malossi) | Blue Clutch Springs [Sport] (Malossi) | Custom Water Trap

7.2 match with the White Contra spring that comes with the Mulitvar 2000. Did you used to have more power off the line then you do now?

apriliaforum Member
    Thank you all for answers!

Actually I have never got more power off the line than I do now. I was just thinking if higher RPMs gave me a more powerful take-off.

I'm running stock variator with 5.1g rollers at this moment. Haven't installed Multivar 2000 yet because of the snow that just seems to not melt... Usually there is no snow at this time of a year. But I will install the Multivar in a few days. Are you happy with your current setup Rosscofat?

ECU Derestricted (2.8.0) / LeoVince ZX-R / Water Trap / NGK ZMR7AP (.035") / +3 Woodruff Key
    Malossi Multivar 2000 / 7.5g Sliders / Malossi White Contra Spring / Polini Blue Clutch Springs

Michelin Pilot Sport SC 130/60-13 (front and rear) / Buzzetti Sidestand / Polished Variator Cover
    Lennes SR50 Aluminium Foot Plates & Radiator Grille / Kiesler Underseat / Stage6 Mirror

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. CANADA
    Higher RPM's does not translate into faster speeds... The bikes current setup (transmission, engine and pipe) dictate the Power Band (more so the pipe then anything else) you need to strive for.

If you exceed the Exhausts designed Power Band, you will actually loose power...

Tempus Fugit
    06 SR50 (Morini)/AIRSAL 70CC BBK/NGK BR9EIX/Top Speed-117KPH (GPS)!!
    Rear Rack & Top Case/Buzzetti Side stand/Aprilia Racing Shock W/STR8 65mmRiser/HGT Stretch Kit
    HGT PFI Kit/Malossi MHR Team II Pipe/All Polished Water Pump
    Black HGT Gen 3 Fuel Regulator/Stebel Magnum Horn/Glowshift Elite Gauge
    BING 26mm TBA/BGM Pro Reed Block & Pod Filter
    Polished Aluminum Varo W/Kick start/Pod Filter/HEL Brake Lines
    HGT Red Brake Levers/LED bulbs/BGM LED Tail Light
    Malossi Delta Clutch w/Blue springs/Red Contra spring & TC/MHR Full Circle Crank
    Malossi 15/40 Primary Gears & Multivar w/5gr Dr. Pulley Sliders/Kevlar Belt
    Michelin Pilot Sport 140/60 Rear tire w/Dyna Beads&TPMS Sensor

apriliaforum Member
    Yeah that's true, thanks. It would be just nice to have like 6k RPM engagement. I don't really know at which RPM does the ZX-R really start working (guessing near ~7k) but I wouldn't mind slightly higher RPMs at take-off.

Maybe this is the way the OEM clutch works.
    Last edited by Coore0; 04-17-2012 at 11:33 AM.

I am very happy with my setup. Runs like a champ.

apriliaforum Member
    Thanks, nice to hear that.