Thread: Doofus of the week!!!!!

Doofus of the week!!!!!

Pick me!!!!!

Belt light came on this AM. Now I know the belt is good but when I had the transmission apart after my X-Mass breakdown I didn't re-train the TCU or potentiometer. So this arvo I set about re-training 'em and the dash threw up the gear warning and the engine wouldn't start.

I f@cked about for about 15 minutes trying everything. No joy so I honed up Daniel at the importer to whine and ask for suggestions of what I was doing wrong?

"You've got the sidestand down Idiot!"

"DOH!!!!"

Don't you just love it when you make an arse of yourself?!?!?!?!?!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum Member
    Pete, you get my vote if you answer my questions??

I have to replace dashboard (instrument cluster), does the new one has to programmed for the vehicle or it will work right out of the box??
    And, is the millage store in any other place besides dashboard, or mileage has to be manually entered??

Quote Originally Posted by 00zero View Post
    Pete, you get my vote if you answer my questions??

I have to replace dashboard (instrument cluster), does the new one has to programmed for the vehicle or it will work right out of the box??
    And, is the millage store in any other place besides dashboard, or mileage has to be manually entered??
    Is it a new one or new to you? They keys are programmed to the dash. If it's new, it won't have had a number programmed into it yet, so you should be able to reprogram the keys to the new dash.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    Internally supercharged GS500
    and more

Man, I've made that mistake (trying to start in-gear with sidestand down) twice on my Shiver - once on my 2nd day of ownership, and one other time when my brain was out to lunch. The second time I persisted for some time until I realised my error, but after starting and travelling a short distance the bike threw a wobbly by going into limp mode and throwing up a fault code. However, after a short rest it recovered from this little brain explosion and started up fine with no faults and has not given me any cause for concern in the last 15000 kms. Who says modern bikes have got no character?

But you still get my vote too.
    S

'Its a fine, fine line between pleasure and pain.' Chrissie Amphlett (RIP)

Thanks for being a man about it & being honest! It's good to know even the wisest can have these duff moments.

On my first day of ownership, parked outside the dealer having just parted with my hard-earned.
    Helmet on, gloves on. Twist the throttle, and - stall.
    Bugger!
    Try again, key, throttle - Stall.
    Had a bit of a mild panic, that my shiny new bike is borked less than a foot from the dealer's & I'm gonna have to walk back in & moan about it - Oh look the side stand is down..!

/Voted

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim.T32 View Post
    Thanks for being a man about it & being honest! It's good to know even the wisest can have these duff moments.
    Not a lot of wisdom here. Fair bit of experience but bugger all wisdom!

Pete

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mllcb42 View Post
    Is it a new one or new to you? They keys are programmed to the dash. If it's new, it won't have had a number programmed into it yet, so you should be able to reprogram the keys to the new dash.

It would be new dashboard from Aprilia. I am not sure if I would be able to program keys on my own or has to bi taken to the dealer? Same goes for the mileage from the old dashboards odometer? Any other programming for the dashboard??
    Just trying to see all my options, if insurance offers any!!

Looks like the post above is in the wrong thread?

Another thing I noticed while being a Doofus was that there appeared to be a new TCU map upgrade. I didn't double check it against what was already in my bike simply because Nagrivator usually just says 'No Upgrades Available' if there isn't something new so I just uploaded it. Can't comment on whether it has made a noticeable difference as I only rode frm the workshop home, about a mile, after I'd done it.

Pete

Pete, I respect your humility and honesty. I've done some things sooo dumb that even I was hesitant to tell anyone......and I pretty much wear my life on my sleeve.

apriliaforum Junkie SilverSurfer79's Avatar
    Dont feel too bad. I did the same thing when I first got mine. Stalled three times and always wondering, what's that wierd icon on the screen? But I got you beat cause then I had trouble figuring out the dash. I couldnt tell how fast I was going. There was no readout on the display for MPH/KPH. Then I realised there was an actual needle pointing gauge AROUND the display screen! Wow! LOL!
    2009 Aprilia Mana 850 - Removed EVAP canister, installed additional Fiaam horn, Replaced air box with cone filter, Leo Vince Titanium slip on muffler, Koso Fly Series Diamond mirrors, Puig dark tint windscreen

It's always the silly stuff that gets ya. I'd done the belt before and gone through the whole re-training biz. I'd just stuck the bike on its centrestand and forgotten to kick up the sidestand . Where's the pinty hat?

Pete