Thread: Cheap 2 up bike

Cheap 2 up bike

Because of work I am going to Soda Springs Idaho for 6 months. Instead of bringing the Tuono, I'm looking for a cheap decent 2-up bike to buy. So that when the girlfriend visits we can go places on the bike like Jellystone or the Tetons. I need something thats 3-$4,000 dollars. I dont have much experience riding 2-up so Im looking for some input. Anyone have any experience on an FZ1? Theres one for sale in Boise.Name:  fz1.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  35.2 KB

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolv4Ho View Post
    Because of work I am going to Soda Springs Idaho for 6 months. Instead of bringing the Tuono, I'm looking for a cheap decent 2-up bike to buy. So that when the girlfriend visits we can go places on the bike like Jellystone or the Tetons. I need something thats 3-$4,000 dollars. I dont have much experience riding 2-up so Im looking for some input. Anyone have any experience on an FZ1? Theres one for sale in Boise.Name:  fz1.jpg
    I had an 07 FZ1 I put 44,000 miles on, the Gen 1's are different but I'd say just as reliable as far as i know. I hardly had to do any maintenance with that bike. It still ran good when I got rid of it, smooth & quiet. Original coolant, sparkplugs, no valve adjustment, Maintenance concerning wear...I only changed the sprockets, chain & clutch other then the normal oil changes & tires, did air filter once.

apriliaforum expert
    Ever consider a scooter? The 2009 Sport City 250 is available for $2,999 new and new 2009 Scarabeo 500s for as low as $3,499. Both have a 460lb capacity, have decent highway manners and fit your price range.

The Sport City when you keep a light hand on the throttle gets close to 80 mpg while heavy handed riding gets you about 65 to 70 mpg. Add a Puig sport faring and it will cruise all day at interstate speeds. The local Aprilia Dealer views them as daily drivers that are still pretty good for weekend rides. I put about 1,000 miles a month on mine.

igotyofire
    Did you ever do much 2up riding on the FZ1? Rockynv, I know it seems childish, but I just cant man up to a scooter. Besides, Im also looking for something to ride and enjoy on the twisties when shes not there,(which will be most of the time).

apriliaforum expert Prilliant03's Avatar
    If you're handy with the spanners have a look at an early air-cooled Duc Multistrada. It's a brilliant 2 up bike and many come with luggage. prices should be good too.
    "Life is like a sewer. You only get out of it what you put in."

Tom Lehrer.

Quote Originally Posted by Prilliant03 View Post
    If you're handy with the spanners have a look at an early air-cooled Duc Multistrada. It's a brilliant 2 up bike and many come with luggage. prices should be good too.
    Pro - It's Italian.
    Con - It's Italian.
    The MultiStrada does look like an appealing machine.

DM
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"Maybe it's narcissistic but having a motorcycle that no one else is riding can make you feel like it was made especially for you"
    - Alexander George. Road & Track

2007 Moto Guzzi Griso
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65
    1988 Yamaha FZ750 rat bike

Multistrada would be excellent. But im not that handy and I dont know how far away the nearest good bike shop would be. I want sumething super reliable and fun. I really think I want a 2002 and up VFR. But with less than 30,000 miles they're hard to find

apriliaforum expert
    igotyofire
    Did you ever do much 2up riding on the FZ1? Rockynv, I know it seems childish, but I just cant man up to a scooter. Besides, Im also looking for something to ride and enjoy on the twisties when shes not there,(which will be most of the time).
    The Aprilia Sport Scooters are great cheap fun running the twisties. The Sport City 250 has 15 inch tires and the Scarabeo 500 has 16 inch tire.

The finance manager at the largest Aprilia dealer in the USA has one as his daily ride and rides that 250 with a pinion on the highway from time to time. He is a 300+ lb veteran biker with over 45 years in the saddle and selling bikes.

I will take it on a 12 hour ride just to check out a new snake road. My lower fairings and belly pan gives plenty of testimony to my love of the twisties. It is probably a good thing that they touch the road just when I have reaced the limit of the tire tread to give me an audible reminder that I am already at the limit. I do have to endure between 70 to 80 mpg on my more sedate commutes to work most times but still get around 65 mpg having fun.

Don't blame me if you find yourself taking the scooter most times and leaving the "Bike" behind.

What about a V-Strom? A buddy of mine has one that I put a few hundred miles on that, for what it is, handled pretty good. Plus, I would think there would be quite a few gravel roads to explore in that area.

I spend the majority of my time leaned over.

apriliaforum expert
    2nd on the v-strom. ugly but everyone i know who has ridden one loves it.
    early fjr is a great choice if youre taking luggage. i bought mine new in 02 & cant imagine letting it go

Vstorms are bulletproof and have a LOT of good info out there if you want to do it up or if you ever have problems.

apriliaforum expert
    The first three are of a Ducati ST3 and Aprilia Sport City 250. It must have been frustrating to have to keep on slowing down for the 1000cc Ducati.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am84m...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5vNh...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9rhw...feature=relmfu

Here is a Sport City 250 pushing a slow R1 along.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfr6-ykdZpU

Sport City 250 on some twisties:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGJK5...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaZeSeRSwe4

Gone, but not forgotten naimchase's Avatar
    I really think I want a 2002 and up VFR. But with less than 30,000 miles they're hard to find
    Have you ridden a Vtech VFR in the twisties?
    I rented an '05 in LA and rode the famous routes to Laguna Seca.
    It was awful. The Vtech lurched in and out in the middle of most turns, and a touch of rear brake sent it toiward the ditch.
    The Pontificating Poodle
    03 Tuono, 01 Mille/now Tuono, Enjoy City

I got a 01 FZ1 with 58,000 miles and it still runs great. I use it during the cold weather and long trips. Decent power more comfy than a Tuono for sure... but it is heavy.