Thread: Axle nut torque?

apriliaforum Member

Axle nut torque?

I do not have a torque wrench... When I removed the rear wheel, I had my wife hold the rear brake lever and I was able to loosen the large (23-24mm?) axle nut with an 18" long 1/2" breaker bar.

Re-assembled tightening things up pretty snug and it rode great. After a few miles, I noticed a high frequency vibration in the seat at 50+ MPH. Still rides/corners great otherwise.

With bike on center stand, I hear a clicking when trying to pull the rear wheel from side to side, but I can't see anything moving. I can likely pull the axle cotter pin and tighten the axle nut a bit more w/o dis-assembling anything else, but I'm not sure if this is really the issue.

Please advise.

apriliaforum expert
    500 iE iM GUESSING If its too loose you,ll move wheel side to side the spacers must be correct if you have them Generally I use my Electric impact and when the Dax nut seats it rachets the nut about 3/4 turn from seat close to 75-80 Ft lbs Whts thee Spec Dunno or care If I take it off i'll put it back within 10% by feel.. up to about 36 mm size beyond that im getting weak/lazy

apriliaforum expert
    What else was done? I am assuming that you had a tire replacement. Their are a number of things that you had to remove to get to the tire. The things that I can think of that may cause a noise are; one the washer that goes against the axle bearing is not in it's proper place, two if the brake caliper was removed it may be rubbing against the brake rotor, three your tire may not have been balanced properly.
    Bob W.
    08 Scarabeo 500ie
    13 Vespa GTV 300ie

Quote Originally Posted by gnonne View Post
    I do not have a torque wrench... When I removed the rear wheel, I had my wife hold the rear brake lever and I was able to loosen the large (23-24mm?) axle nut with an 18" long 1/2" breaker bar.

Re-assembled tightening things up pretty snug and it rode great. After a few miles, I noticed a high frequency vibration in the seat at 50+ MPH. Still rides/corners great otherwise.

With bike on center stand, I hear a clicking when trying to pull the rear wheel from side to side, but I can't see anything moving. I can likely pull the axle cotter pin and tighten the axle nut a bit more w/o dis-assembling anything else, but I'm not sure if this is really the issue.

Please advise.
    Another thought - Since the brake pads are self-centering, if you had your wife hold the brake while you tightened things up, you may have pulled the wheel yo off-center (relative to the brake) or slightly warped the rotor. Or it could just be a squeaky brake pad... Rev up your engine on the center stand and locate the squeak (much easier than guessing at speed on the road).
    -=[ Bill ]=-
    04 Silver S500 (GT now) #0278
    I brake for morons

apriliaforum Member
    I put 50+ miles on the bike this morning at 60+ MPH. Before I took off, I did tighten the axle nut a bit more, but I don't think that small difference would have done anything.

Rides perfect now, not sure what was going on last night, probably just a brake pad rubbing or a stone stuck in the tire tread, making it feel unbalanced at high speed.

Quote Originally Posted by gnonne View Post
    I put 50+ miles on the bike this morning at 60+ MPH. Before I took off, I did tighten the axle nut a bit more, but I don't think that small difference would have done anything.

Rides perfect now, not sure what was going on last night, probably just a brake pad rubbing or a stone stuck in the tire tread, making it feel unbalanced at high speed.
    A happy ending - glad to hear it! Now go enjoy yourself and ride.
    -=[ Bill ]=-
    04 Silver S500 (GT now) #0278
    I brake for morons

apriliaforum expert
    Get that cheapo electric Tq wrench. Using brakes to hold wheels etc is not good Assembly practise.

apriliaforum Member
    Broom stick or 2x4 works great as well.