Thread: Does the Shiver have any offroad capability?

Does the Shiver have any offroad capability?

My buddy has a KLR and I was thinking about going to hang with him over the summer and he'd probably want to go riding on trails or something... Can the Shiver handle anything like that, or am I going to have to ride bitchseat?

Edit: I understand my bike is NOT a KLR and will never have the capability a KLR does... But does it have ANY capability whatsoever?
    2013 Matte Black Aprilia RSV4 R APRC ABS
    Done: GPR Thunderslash slip-on, clear turn signal lenses, Graves sliders, ASV shorty red levers, Puig dark smoke racing windscreen, Comp Werkes tail tidy
    2009 Code Orange Aprilia Shiver SL750 [SOLD]

get rid of the shiv and get a dorso

apriliaforum Junkie Simmo_DD_FACT's Avatar
    You just get better and better !!!
    2011 Dorsoduro Factory - Gone but not forgotten

2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200

oh lol.

You should not have to sell such a nice bike. Tell your friend to buy a real bike.
    Current bikes
    Ducati Multistrada 1200
    BMW C650 sport
    Kawasaki Z900RS

Former bikes
    Road king
    Moto Guzzi Audace
    Triumph Bobber
    Ducati 900ss FE
    MOTO GUZZI V7 RACER
    Ducati Scrambler
    Aprilla Mana
    Ducati Multi 1100s
    Ducati monster
    Mv agusta 750
    Yamaha t max
    2014 MV Agusta Brutale 800
    2006 Ducati Multistrada
    2014 Honda CTX 700nd
    2007 Buell XB12r
    2011 Harley XR1200x
    2009 Shiver
    2011 Suzuki Burgman 400 cc
    Plus others

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    I take my Dorsoduro off road. The only difference between our bikes is the amount of wheel travel, and gearing. It will be a rough ride, but resist the urge to air down the rear tire. The low profile doesn't have enough sidewall to protect the rim without decent air pressure. The suspension travel shouldn't be a big issue unless you are riding two-up (which I do). You will be much slower than the KLR, and have to use the clutch a lot, but you'll get there eventually. Just don't let him talk you into a muddy trail, since our 180 tires have VERY limited traction. I added a Pirelli Scorpion Trail, and that helped some. Using "Rain" mode also helps.

The Shiver/Dorsoduro has a pretty tough frame, so no problems there. Keep an eye on your oil filter. If a flying rock punches a hole in it, you'll want to know as soon as possible. I put a rubber cap over mine to protect it.

apriliaforum expert jeffrey_lebowsk's Avatar
    I'm getting the feeling we're being trolled.....
    2011 Shiver 750
    "yeah, well... that's just like... you're opinion, man"

my shiver makes it any where bro fuck ya just stay on the gas
    2011 shiver

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey_lebowsk View Post
    I'm getting the feeling we're being trolled.....
    I'm getting the feeling you guys don't believe me...

How about a dirty photo?

Name:  P1020045%20resize.JPG
Views: 1392
Size:  140.4 KB

apriliaforum expert jeffrey_lebowsk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by High Country View Post
    I'm getting the feeling you guys don't believe me...

How about a dirty photo?

Name:  P1020045%20resize.JPG
Views: 1392
Size:  140.4 KB
    no, no, no I'm beginning to think that Reyson is trolling us. I'm not trying to be mean or anything but 2 days ago the guy said he didn't know how to get the bike out of first gear and now he's wanting to go off-roading? just seems weird. maybe it's us crazy canucks, I dunno.
    2011 Shiver 750
    "yeah, well... that's just like... you're opinion, man"

Oh, OK. Now I get it.

Well that's OK, because anything past first gear on stock tires is pushing our luck anyway.

Sorry I know this is an old thread. But hell yes the shiver can go off road. The Pirelli scorpion trail 2's work great. I can drift around on dirt trails in second and third gear and leave one hell of a roost. VERY predictable handling, add some TKC 80's and you'd be able to get into mud or anything else for that matter. If a heavy GS or Capo can do it, so can the shiver. I use sport mode, although I've been riding dirt for years, and I keep up with my buddy on his KLR easily. It's a tad tougher in the tighter woods sections, but if you can ride somewhat decently, the shiver will take you anywhere you point it. And ditching the shiver for a dorsoduro can be a good or a bad thing. Yes a little more suspension travel, but also a higher seat. So take your pick because they're essentially the same bike in 750 trim. Again I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd add for the future people wanting to know this exact question. Watch out for the oil filter! Upgrade your bars for sure to something with less sweep and a little more height and it'll fell like you're on a heavy dirt bike with stiff suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajap1 View Post
    Sorry I know this is an old thread. But hell yes the shiver can go off road. The Pirelli scorpion trail 2's work great. I can drift around on dirt trails in second and third gear and leave one hell of a roost. VERY predictable handling, add some TKC 80's and you'd be able to get into mud or anything else for that matter. If a heavy GS or Capo can do it, so can the shiver. I use sport mode, although I've been riding dirt for years, and I keep up with my buddy on his KLR easily. It's a tad tougher in the tighter woods sections, but if you can ride somewhat decently, the shiver will take you anywhere you point it. And ditching the shiver for a dorsoduro can be a good or a bad thing. Yes a little more suspension travel, but also a higher seat. So take your pick because they're essentially the same bike in 750 trim. Again I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd add for the future people wanting to know this exact question. Watch out for the oil filter! Upgrade your bars for sure to something with less sweep and a little more height and it'll fell like you're on a heavy dirt bike with stiff suspension.
    Be careful if you use the TKC80. I got some nasty speed wobbles leaned over at highway speeds once I was down to the last 1/3 tread. A steering stabilizer would cure it, but I just went with different tires the next time around.

The Pirelli MT60 used on the Ducati Scrambler has been great. With little air pressure adjustments, it does quite well on a variety of terrain (I still avoid mud).

I was able to add 2" handlebar risers without changing any cables. That gives me just enough height to stand up, yet not so much it feels weird canyon carving.

I have bashed my skid plate a few times (added since that last picture above). I found that tightening up the rear damper reduces how much the suspension compresses on quick impacts, thereby keeping the belly off the rocks a little better.

I don't think I could keep up with a KLR in the rough stuff, but I could catch them on a dirt road pretty quick, while roosting him through all 6 gears in Rain mode.

2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

apriliaforum newb
    I agree with Ajap1. The shiver is pretty good for off road (for a street bike!). On easy dirt roads it handles quite good and with little caution you can take badly corroded trails but not for long distances. If it has to, the shiver will manage itself in dirt.