Thread: oil longevity

oil longevity

Hi all

In sealed containers, stored in a cool place, how long will semi synthetic oil last,as i have a few containers over 3 years old ?

thanks

john,

Longer than you I dare say. I would have no worries about using oil 5-10 years old. I just recently finished off a case of gear oil I purchased in the early eighties.

apriliaforum expert
    Desn't oil come from dinosaurs that died 3 million years ago? What difference could a few more years make?
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff

Thanks for the replies. I looked it up on the net, as you do, and some sites indicated that it had a shelf life of 2 to 3 years. I just wanted confirmation that it would be ok to use, so thanks for that. I have one bottle that is very old must be 15 or 20 years, price label on it is £2-78 thats about $3 an imperial gallon, thems the days blah blah

john

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I looked it up on the net, as you do, and some sites indicated that it had a shelf life of 2 to 3 years. I just wanted confirmation that it would be ok to use, so thanks for that. I have one bottle that is very old must be 15 or 20 years, price label on it is £2-78 thats about $3 an imperial gallon, thems the days blah blah

john
    Mobil says the shelf life is 5 years if the oil is kept cool and dry.

An 8-month-old oil, even opened, should work well in your engine. As long as the bottle is capped and kept dry, the product is safe to use for up to 5 years. Keeping it cool and dry are the key conditions to control degradation and additive drop-out.
    Hoosier, not hoser.

Hi Diablo thats roughly what i found, could be just oil company hype difficult to say. May be its just to put enough doubt in peoples mind to prevent stockpiling or may be it does degrade. I doubt there is anyway of knowing, but if it does go off why don`t they put a use by date on the packaging ?

john

apriliaforum expert
    I'll guess they won't put a "use by date" on the package because deterioration depends on storage conditions. Also, we really don't know if the degradation over time is significant enough to effect the performance in the engine. It may show some sght degradaton in specific lab tests, but still perform OK in a Rotax.
    Hoosier, not hoser.

apriliaforum expert frogfeaturesFZR's Avatar
    Just use it, you'll be changing it in 5 k anyway !
    Whatungarongaro te tangata toitū te whenua

Man shall disappear, but the land always remains

A 5 year shelf life is pretty much the rule of thumb stored properly.
    “Never quite ready.............it just becomes your turn.........." Jason Newsted