Thread: Potential Mana buyer

apriliaforum newb

Potential Mana buyer

Question, it appears many of you Mana riders moved to the Mana from a scooter of some flavor. How many of you have went to a Mana from a sportbike or even a sport cruiser? The only reservation I have is losing a real clutch with lever. Can you really have a hooligan bike without a real clutch?

I'm totally on board with the Aprilia build quality, design and new Mana price promotion and warranty. The only thing giving me pause is the clutch thing.

Craig

if you are looking to wheelie all over town then got three sections up to the TV4 forum... If you want a really solid all around bike with storage get a Mana.
    Just my .02 but I don't think hooliganism, revving the motor and wheelies all over town were what they were shooting for with this bike.
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

Yellow Shirt
    Picked up an '09 Mana with 11k miles for the GF early in the week to replace her 400cc scooter. My main rider is a 1400cc Kawasaki C14.

In the past year I've ridden enduro bikes, the multistrada 1200 in the twisties and various naked bikes of my friends. I figure the Mana would be a bit tired, slightly sluggish, a bit of a dog ... but better for the GF for freeway riding because of the motorcycle configuration.

Coming down Pacific Coast Highway (on a Tuesday mid morning), I decided to pin it from a stop light. I determined that an indicated 100mph was a bit aggressive between lights, and the coppers might light me up. I decided to split lanes to get to the office a bit quicker. The Mana is a skinny bike! I quickly learned to use the paddles to downshift to shed speed. Don't try to up shift ... the auto is way quicker.

I had more fun than a barrel of monkeys blasting around on the Mana. I didn't miss the clutch a bit. Most likely, I'll put a top box on and use it as my work commuter. It's comfortable and forgiving and quick as I need.

apriliaforum newb
    I don't ride a Mana but a Ducati 1000. I did however pick up my wife's bike about 4 hours away and ride it back. I ride pretty aggressive but not crazy, mild hooligan I guess.

Anyways, I very much enjoyed the ride on the way back. The Mana responded very well and had a very comfortable seat and riding position. I only stopped for gas and got right back on, not something I do on the Ducati. I need about 10 minutes off it every couple of hours on the Duc. The Mana handles very well, not much difference than most sport bikes. I even got to thinking on that long ride, "why don't more manufacturers offer an automatic? This is awesome!"

So, I delivered it to my wife and she absolutely loves it. She had a ninja 650 but was not very confident on it. Now she goes up and down our super steep driveway (which she wouldn't do on the ninja) and even goes for rides by herself. Best purchase we've made for her.

Now the downside, I got back on my Duc and said, oh yeah, now I remember why more manufacturs don't make automatics, POWER!!! You really start to forget the lack of power as the Mana is such an enjoyable ride but at the end of the day, if you're a throttle junky, this bike will never do. Just my .02.

apriliaforum newb

Crushed

All I can say is I totally get why you guys are all so passionate about your Aprilias. I finally got to demo ride a Mana today. I absolutely love the bike. I love the design, the way its put together. The parts, the ergonomics, the brakes, the suspension, the sound, the LCD display and functionality. The Handling is razor sharp and the brakes are great.

So why didnt I bring it home? I just cant live without the clutch. I cant. I'll go as far as saying the bike would be PERFECT for me if it had a traditional 6 speed transmission. Obviously some people find the CVT as a positive and for them this is the ideal bike. More me, I enjoy the entire motorcycling experience and with a V-twin I gotta have the clutch for the feel, the sound and the control.

Now, if Aprilia runs a deal on the shiver 750, I might pounce.

Craig

Did you ride the bike in sport gear mode? Yah, it's still not the same thing, but much closer.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    Internally supercharged GS500
    and more

apriliaforum newb

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by mllcb42 View Post
    Did you ride the bike in sport gear mode? Yah, it's still not the same thing, but much closer.
    Yesh, I tried Sport mode, touring mode and "sport gear mode" and shifted with both the foot shifter and the finger buttons. I think its a trick bike for sure...just wish it had a traditional clutch. I suspect if it did it wouldnt be on sale for $5,999 :-(

Craig