Thread: Which bike would you buy?

apriliaforum prov-nov

Which bike would you buy?

I am planning on buying a new bike for doing trackdays (80%). I will keep it street legal for an occasional street ride. I ride mostly at Mid Ohio in the 1:38 range. Should I go with the RSV-R with Ohlins TTX and cartridges or splurge for the Factory? I am also considering the BMW or the Ducati.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by RRMAN View Post
    I am planning on buying a new bike for doing trackdays (80%). I will keep it street legal for an occasional street ride. I ride mostly at Mid Ohio in the 1:38 range. Should I go with the RSV-R with Ohlins TTX and cartridges or splurge for the Factory? I am also considering the BMW or the Ducati.
    RSV-R often refers to RSV1000R, I believe you are talking about the RSV4? Get whatever bike you want its been beaten to death & nobody here is going to advocate BMW or Ducati over an Aprilia

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...hlight=S1000rr

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...hlight=S1000rr

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...highlight=1098

Take the base model and upgrade the suspension aftermarket, you will benifit greatly from this with any brand you go with. It will save you money and the after market Ohlins is much much better than the OEM Ohlins.

RSV is a good track bike, hard to ride though unless you have been doing trackdays for awhile. If you are just starting I would get something small to start with. Like a Ninja 250 or SV650, I know you will say "those are too slow" that is the point you will learn so much more about corner speed. I wouldn't go above a 600 for your first track bike then hit the larger bikes after you have started to push it's limits.

If you buy an rsv4r and put better suspension in it, then the only thing the factory has that is better (and that you'll actually use) is lighter wheels and variable intake stacks. If you're chasing lap times the ducati will be slower than both the v4 and the bmw around a track, but really it comes down to whatever you feel comfortable and confident riding.

^^^ I like how the 1098 is behind you.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbits View Post
    If you buy an rsv4r and put better suspension in it, then the only thing the factory has that is better (and that you'll actually use) is lighter wheels and variable intake stacks. If you're chasing lap times the ducati will be slower than both the v4 and the bmw around a track, but really it comes down to whatever you feel comfortable and confident riding.

oh i feel retarded a bit for missing the R model vs Factory question,lol I only saw that BMW & Ducati at the end there

....They're all great...buy the one that gives you a harder erection
    TO FINISH SECOND...YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE LAST

I have yet to see an RSV4 at Mid Ohio. So I for one hope you go with the Factory so I can check it out. Just signed up for the 13th and 14th, hope to see it there!

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_02 View Post
    If you are just starting I would get something small to start with. Like a Ninja 250 or SV650, I know you will say "those are too slow" that is the point you will learn so much more about corner speed. I wouldn't go above a 600 for your first track bike then hit the larger bikes after you have started to push it's limits.
    If he's running in the 1:38 range, he hasn't just started. That's a pretty good pace around Mid-O. As far as what bike, which ever you are the most comfortable on or with. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Yes, I meant RSV4. And I am not new to trackdays. I even have a race license for what it's worth. I have been riding for about 38 years (48yrs old) and this will be my 37th bike. So anyway, I was leaning towards the base model with suspension upgrade. Does ECU Unleashed have anything for this bike?

ride them all and then make a decission. A bike is a personal feeling. You have to feel right on it. So take em all out and test them.... I reckon you will be coming home on a RSV4 though! I test roade all of them as well and rode home on the RSV4!
    2010 RSV4R track bike
    -----------------------
    K+N Race Filter | Racers Edge Fairings | Apex riser adjustable clipons | AR GP2 Slip-On | Bazzaz Z-Fi TC QS | ASV Shorty Levers| Puig Wind Screen | TechSpec Tank Grips | Gilles Tooling Gear Shifter Support | GB Racing Clutch and engine Covers | Woodcraft rearsets | Starlane DaVinci S Dash | STM Flyhammer Switchgear |

I'd say go for the Factory and just upgrade the rear - the front end does not need any work save oil height (to preference) springs if you're not in the proper range.
    2012 KTM 300EXC Six Days
    2011 KTM 690 Duke R
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
    2007 Honda CBR600RR

I'm with Colacin. Get the Factory. In the long run it will end up saving you money and you get a better bike overall. You just need to upgrade the shock to the TTX ad it's set for the track.

With the R you have to upgrade the forks and shock plus the wheels. Then you still don't get the variable intakes, magnesium covers, or CF.

Quote Originally Posted by colacin View Post
    I'd say go for the Factory and just upgrade the rear - the front end does not need any work save oil height (to preference) springs if you're not in the proper range.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmike View Post
    I'm with Colacin. Get the Factory. In the long run it will end up saving you money and you get a better bike overall. You just need to upgrade the shock to the TTX ad it's set for the track.

With the R you have to upgrade the forks and shock plus the wheels. Then you still don't get the variable intakes, magnesium covers, or CF.
    I'd recommend getting the Factory even though my butt doesn't know the difference between Sachs and Ohlins, I feel better with Ohlins.