Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about an 09 Mana

Thinking about an 09 Mana

Hey all. Thinking about grabbing an 09 Mana for $5999. Its 200 miles away so I will be buying it without riding it. (kinda scary!) My biggest question is: when riding the bike and you let off the throttle, does the bike coast or is there engine braking? Most the scooters Ive owned pretty much coasted along until you gave it gas again. I bought a Burgman 650 and when you let off the gas, there was major engine braking which seemed really strange for some reason. Not really a deal breaker either way, just wondering.
    06 S500 #420 SOLD 5/28/08

The Mana has the same 'major engine braking' as a maxi-scoot, maybe more. The clutch doesn't release until about 10 mph and then you coast. Compared to my previous MP3-500, the Mana clutch brakes more.
    Ray
    '10 White GT

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Paroyboy, stop thinking, and buy it! I called XPS in Maryland, asked if they have one in stock, negotiated the price, paid and had it ship to my Va address. All done, while I was sitting over 3000 miles away! Was I apprehensive, heck yeah I was, but the folks at XPS were pretty cool. It was delivered last week. Pictures in one of the threads> Crazy Newbie.... It's torture, not being able to ride it, but hey it will be there when i get home. Good luck.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    i just got mine coming from an MP3 250
    here is my succint response LOL
    get it
    get it
    get it

I knew I was getting ahead of myself. Just checked a few insurance quotes. YIKES! Pretty minimum limits with $500 comp/collision deductibles came up to $921 with Geico and $725 with Progressive. Florida insurance is insane. This is the deal breaker. :-(

Yellow Shirt
    Get rid of the collision. Self insure. You'll cut the premium to half.

Use the paddles to downshift. Makes it engine brake.

Just got a used mana this week with 11k miles for the gf. I really like it. (My normal rider is a 1400cc Kawasaki)

Just for the hell of it, I checked with Allstate who I have my car insurance through. With MUCH higher limits and still $500 comp/collision deductibles, $350/yr! Agent said Allstate just revamped their motorcycle plans because they were losing too many people to Geico and Progressive! Also save a little because the uninsured/under insured coverage I have on the car carries over to the bike. Now to figure out how to get to the dealer 175 miles away.

Did some checking. Greyhound would get me within 10 miles of the dealer but take forever! 7 hours on bus for a 3.5 hour trip. What is proper break in on this bike? Pretty much entire ride home would be highway. Other option would be to rent a pickup and try to figure out how to unload it when I got it home. (VERY few hills to back up to in Florida!) I guess it would be too tall for a cargo van?
    Last edited by paroyboy; 04-14-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Riding it home shouldn't be a problem. Just don't run at the same rpm too long. Vary engine speed and don't rev real high for the 1st several hundred miles. I rode my MP3-500 140 miles from dealer pick-up to home with a lot of interstate but varied speed and never had a problem for as long as I had it. Wear safety gear. After all, it's new and you need to get acquainted with each other.
    Ray
    '10 White GT

Hello again. Can someone measure their 09 Mana for me for total height? Still kicking it around but if I do get the bike, i want to pick it up vs taking the bus to get it. Pickup and cargo van same price. Alot easier to get out of a van than off a truck but worried about clearance. thx in advance

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by rxt555 View Post
    Paroyboy, stop thinking, and buy it! I called XPS in Maryland, asked if they have one in stock, negotiated the price, paid and had it ship to my Va address. All done, while I was sitting over 3000 miles away! Was I apprehensive, heck yeah I was, but the folks at XPS were pretty cool. It was delivered last week. Pictures in one of the threads> Crazy Newbie.... It's torture, not being able to ride it, but hey it will be there when i get home. Good luck.

Ordered mine at Xtreme Power Sports in Maryland as well and got it shipped. Overall best price even with the shipping to Chicago. It arrives this Thursday!

Dealer is only 235 miles away and the lowest shipping I can find is $288 and thats not here till the 29th. Bus ticket is $50 and the rental truck would come to about $120 + gas. Either way I have it on friday. Using the truck or van would be alot faster vs the long bus ride.

Quote Originally Posted by paroyboy View Post
    Hello again. Can someone measure their 09 Mana for me for total height? Still kicking it around but if I do get the bike, i want to pick it up vs taking the bus to get it. Pickup and cargo van same price. Alot easier to get out of a van than off a truck but worried about clearance. thx in advance
    The manual says 44.5 inches - that's probably with the mirrors off.

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS (current)
    1987 Harley Davidson Lowrider Sport (current)
    2009 Aprilia Mana
    2006 Suzuki SV 650
    1984 Yamaha Virago
    1975 Yamaha YZ80 - 1972 Honda Z50 - 1971 Honda QA50

Well, truck is rented . This time tomorrow I should be the proud owner of a red 09.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by paroyboy View Post
    Well, truck is rented . This time tomorrow I should be the proud owner of a red 09.

Got the Mana home. Yayyy! Question: what all should be with the bike? Already know the tool kit is missing. I got two keys and one manual. It that all there should be? Want to make a list before I call the dealer tomorrow morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast