Thread: Clutch spring free length?

apriliaforum newb

Clutch spring free length?

Hello ,been having problems with clutch slipping at high revs of late,have found cause the clutch release rack has shed a tooth and jammed the mech.ie the pressure plate not fully home.All the plates are fine and in the spec.as manual but cannot find minimum spring length,mine are 47mm long and 20o/d x15mm bore.Dont know if worn or not,has anybody tried EBC springs ? They look the same clutch as on BMW f650 but no dimensions in Haynes book,thanks Suggy.

apriliaforum Member
    Wear limit for the clutch springs is 43.5mm. Seems lke your springs are fine. I would check the friction plates and, mroe importantly, ensure that the clutch cover is installed so that the release arm is properly aligned. A release fork that is one tooth too far back will cause the clutch to drag. Does your clutch cable have slack?
    Andy
    2000 Pegaso

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by andysrage View Post
    Wear limit for the clutch springs is 43.5mm. Seems lke your springs are fine. I would check the friction plates and, mroe importantly, ensure that the clutch cover is installed so that the release arm is properly aligned. A release fork that is one tooth too far back will cause the clutch to drag. Does your clutch cable have slack?
    Hi,thanks for that and yes free play in cable was fine,the problem was tooth on clutch release rack/pinion broken and jamming mechanism up,new parts ordered.The dimension I gave on spring length was wrong, they measure 42.70mm,so just under min so have sent for new while im in it.