Thread: Left/right balance

Question Left/right balance

So the other day I was messing around with the bike and I noticed something weird with the balance. If I let go of the handlebars and let the bike go naturally it seems to like to pull to the left. To correct it I have to lean a fair bit to the right, at which points it'll go straight. Does the large/heavy stock exhaust throw the left/right weight distribution off? Is my Mana's alignment off? Is this normal and I should just keep my hands on the bars and ignore it?

In the few events I take my hands off the bar the bike always goes exactly where my weight, knees take it... If I am balanced it will go perfectly straight but if I lean a little or give a slight nudge to the tank with my knee it will go where I point it...

If it happens every time I would check tires/alignment but it could have also been the road you were on, the way you were leaning, laptop on the back etc etc etc...
    -P

EDIT, it could also be I am leaning a bit right to keep it straight without even realizing it but to be fair I also have a different pipe, different shock, different wheels and different forks so maybe I should shut up now LOL
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryowatt View Post
    So the other day I was messing around with the bike and I noticed something weird with the balance. If I let go of the handlebars and let the bike go naturally it seems to like to pull to the left. To correct it I have to lean a fair bit to the right, at which points it'll go straight. Does the large/heavy stock exhaust throw the left/right weight distribution off? Is my Mana's alignment off? Is this normal and I should just keep my hands on the bars and ignore it?
    In aviation, trim tabs are used to trim the plane for hands free operation. You have to do some research and invent motorcycle trim tabs. Until than, hands on the handlebars. We had way too many crashes and we do not need more bad publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by 00zero View Post
    In aviation, trim tabs are used to trim the plane for hands free operation. You have to do some research and invent motorcycle trim tabs. Until than, hands on the handlebars. We had way too many crashes and we do not need more bad publicity.
    You can't compare trimming an airplane to a motorcycle... Trimming a plane is obviously based on numerous factors such as CG, fuel load, rpm, winds etc... A bike should go straight when left to its own accord and its CG should be relatively static with no need to compensate for climb/descent and different phases of flight...

As for the we have had way too may crashes and not "needing more bad publicity" I don't get it... People crash on bikes all the time, 99% of the time most sensible people understand it wasn't a fault with the bike but the operator... When someone wrecks on a bike people are usually more concerned with the details of the accident than the type of bike (other than crotch rocket or Harley LMAO)
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

apriliaforum expert
    Trim tab on motorcycle = change posture.
    Current bikes:
    2004 Yamaha YZF-R1 not much stock stuff left
    2007 Vespa GT60 2.9 mile mint bike
    2009 Mana 850 "Factory" not much stock stuff left
    2011 RSV4 APRC not much stock stuff left

Past Bikes
    1987 Yamaha FZ600
    1990 Kawasaki EX500
    1993 Kawasaki EX500
    1994 Kawasaki EX500
    2002 Suzuki SV650 Naked
    2003 Suzuki SV650S
    2003 Mille-R
    2004 Piaggio BV200
    2004 Piaggio LT-150
    2004 Yamaha R6
    2004 RSV2 Factory
    2004 Ducati 998 Matrix
    2006 Yamaha R6
    2007 Vespa GT200

Coming soon
    MotoGuzzi V7 Racer (will have record kit)
    Aprilia Tuono V4
    Kawasaki GPZ900 (Top Gun Replica)
    CBR900RR (have period correct Ohlins and HRC exhaust)
    CB750
    BV350
    Grom (big bore kit, Ohlins and brembo)

Take half the change in your left pocket and move it to your right pocket.
    Ray
    '10 White GT

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_Bjur View Post
    Take half the change in your left pocket and move it to your right pocket.
    What if I stop off to get coffee and use up all my change?