Thread: rotors

rotors

Is there supposed to be some play in front brake rotors on RSV R

That is the definition of a semi-floating brake rotor. It has some play in it. The buttons connecting the swept area of the rotor to the carrier allow the rotor to expand with heat independently of the carrier reducing the chance of warping. It also allows for dissimilar materials to be use for the braking surfaces and the carriers. For example stainless steel braking surfaces and lighter weight aluminium carriers.
    1999 (sold as a 2000 model in USA) RSV Mille Tricolor with Ohlins radial forks, 4 pad Brembo radial calipers, 16mm radial Brembo brake master, Ohlins shock with remote hydraulic preload, KTM sprag, Gen2 blue anodized forged aluminum OZ radial wheels, dual link modified 2-1 collector, Akrapovic slipon, 57mm Gen1 air box, Gen2 57mm TBs, 60mm tall Gen2 Tuono velocity stacks, Gabro A2BF EPROM, Falco clipons, long stem RS125 mirrors, 17/42 sprockets, carbon fiber front fender, rear hugger, chain guard, heel guards...

Thank you

There's a limit to how much movement is allowed. It is very small. How do you know if it's too much? You'll get the dreaded brake judder.
    potere - italian for power
    have M1 permit, will travel

What can be done if you have the dreaded "Judder"? I have a little bit now in the front.

You have to figure out what the cause is first. If it's the buttons being worn, you have to get new rotors unless you personally know Jeff Gehrs or someone like that. There are many threads here on debugging judder. KZmille describes several causes really well.

Thanks Potere! I'll search "judder" this post is the first time I have seen that word.

If you need a pictorial on changing rotors, I did one a year or so ago here. Just to rule out 1 dumb thing I used to do, do not use spray cleaner on your calipers to clean them. The spray will get on the rotor surfaces and take off some of the brake material that is supposed to be deposited during bedding in. This will cause judder. Only 1 solution, hone the rotors or sand blast them or sand them then redo the bedding in preferably with new pads. If it's for the street only, the old ones will be ok but sand them too.