Thread: Silk Thread?!?!?

Silk Thread?!?!?

Just saw this on How It's Made. They use Gasket Sealant & Silk Tread instead of Paper Gaskets.

1:07

Any reason why we couldn't do this in-place of our paper gaskets? Obliviously not the Head & Valve Cover Gaskets, but it seems just about every other gasket could be replaced with this.

Thoughts, Concerns...
    '03 Falco Bought New on 4/6/07:
    Custom paint, Powder Coated RSV Swing arm, RSV Shock, Anodized Rear Sets, Ti Hardware, Anodized (Blue) Fork Caps, SL Carbon Cans, SL Carbon Chip, Custom Airbox w/ K&N Filter, Evo Clutch Slave Cyl., CF Front Sprocket Cover, Rear Hugger, & Chain Guard, GP Shifter, Tuono Rear Brake Master Cly., Evo Clutch Slave Cly., Evo Fender Eliminator, RSVR Mirrors (custom mounts), Custom Blue Dash, HID Headlight, Smoked Tail Light Lens, Integrated Turn Signals into Taillight, LEDs in Headlight & Taillight, LEDs Thru-out, SuperSprox +2 Rear Sprocket, Ariete Grips... (i'm sure there is more)

Bill

Incorrect use of silk thread gaskets can have disastrous consequences.

In short the article states that using a gasket other than what is specified can affect torque values leading to under torqued or over stressed bolts or fixtures leading to failures.

http://www.aviationpros.com/article/...ad-to-disaster
    Last edited by DanV990; 04-11-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    1999 (sold as a 2000 model in USA) RSV Mille Tricolor with Ohlins radial forks, 4 pad Brembo radial calipers, 16mm radial Brembo brake master, Ohlins shock with remote hydraulic preload, KTM sprag, Gen2 blue anodized forged aluminum OZ radial wheels, dual link modified 2-1 collector, Akrapovic slipon, 57mm Gen1 air box, Gen2 57mm TBs, 60mm tall Gen2 Tuono velocity stacks, Gabro A2BF EPROM, Falco clipons, long stem RS125 mirrors, 17/42 sprockets, carbon fiber front fender, rear hugger, chain guard, heel guards...

Yeah, I read that. But correctly used it could be a cheap easy alternative to buying all a complete gasket set for engine work (minus of-corse the head gaskets that silk thread couldn't be used for).
    '03 Falco Bought New on 4/6/07:
    Custom paint, Powder Coated RSV Swing arm, RSV Shock, Anodized Rear Sets, Ti Hardware, Anodized (Blue) Fork Caps, SL Carbon Cans, SL Carbon Chip, Custom Airbox w/ K&N Filter, Evo Clutch Slave Cyl., CF Front Sprocket Cover, Rear Hugger, & Chain Guard, GP Shifter, Tuono Rear Brake Master Cly., Evo Clutch Slave Cly., Evo Fender Eliminator, RSVR Mirrors (custom mounts), Custom Blue Dash, HID Headlight, Smoked Tail Light Lens, Integrated Turn Signals into Taillight, LEDs in Headlight & Taillight, LEDs Thru-out, SuperSprox +2 Rear Sprocket, Ariete Grips... (i'm sure there is more)

Bill

apriliaforum expert
    Standard practise in aircraft piston engines, for joining the 2 halves of the crankcase.
    BUT............it's designed to be like that.

You need to be certain that the bits you are going to change will tolerate such trickery.
    As stated, torque values/expansion among other things are built into gaskets. They are not just for
    keeping the oil and water in the engine.
    Be sure that the savings are covered in case of a failure leading to expensive repairs...

apriliaforum expert
    How much is the saving over a gasket set Vs time to do this silk thing? Vs Failure and engine costs if destroyed ? I dont think a cost effective solution Ive done lots of Engine work on other things besides Bikes they make FIPG for most all applications cept Hi press Apps , Head & exhaust for instance or auto trans valve body.. I mean makers of low production engines etc ya run the risk of pricier parts

apriliaforum expert
    It doesn't take that long to do. Apply the sealant to the part and lie the thread in it and clamp up.
    All the thread is there for is to prevent total pinch up and expulsion of the sealant from the joint.

I would advise you to use the gaskets that were designed for the job, though.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Growing up around airplanes and rebuilding motors in the garage at home with my Dad I am familiar with the silk thread thing. Here is the big issue I see when it comes to doing that on say a V990. Using sealant only for instance in the stator cover side will cause a physical bind between the flywheel and the stator cover on many bikes....gasket compressed thickness is part of he tolerance stacking used in building the motor by the OEM. Now for SXV case halves, well since it hard to make hem worse it might be a good option!
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com