Thread: Has anyone replaced their ignition unit?

Has anyone replaced their ignition unit?

Has anyone here replaced their ignition unit, with a new one?

And if you did was it an original unit or is there a better aftermarket replacement?

Part no 8 in the diagram below?
    http://www.speedaway.co.uk/part/2988...it/per_page/12

Are you sure youve got the right description or the right diagram because the item eight in the diagram is a stator that provides the AC power to be converted to 12 volts via the regulator for the whole bike? If it's the stator your after then Electrex do one . Link below Steve

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/g814-...or-8216-0.html

Thanks Steve.

Just looking if they are any alternative options at the moment.
    Not quite sure yet, but it seems I get a higher than normal output from the stator, that overheats the connectors that go to the regulator.
    I've tried replacing the cables and then regulator/rectifier, but got the same problem.
    Will get it looked at a dealer, but they have suggested that it may be that the stator has a short-circuit.

Thanks for the link

Its easy to check as you should be getting arround 60 volts AC whichever pair of wires you test between out of the combination of the three. If one of the windings was short circuit it would give little or no output not excesive output. The only way you would get excesive output would be if there was a contact putting windings in series with each other which i would think is very unlikely.Its always best to show where you live on you details as i have given you a link but this may not be of any use if you live outside of the UK and a particular company doesn't ship to your country Steve.

apriliaforum expert Stanleybobly's Avatar
    well my friend,

There is forummember here, went to the dealer, the bike wasn't charging.
    dealer ended up charging him 1500 pounds!. at the end it was just a regulator and a dead battery......
    instead of coils,alternator etc what they changed and charged for.....

what GRUMPY said, test the alternator, on the brown connector regulator, put the multimeter on AC, and see if you see 60-70V idle and 4k rpm.

Alternator failure on a Capo is rare.......

sold: "01 Caponord |Flame Red|, Modlist done: Honda CBR600 RR Mosfet (FH008) Rectifier Mod, Brown Connector Mod
    now: "04 Caponord |Rally Raid| FH016 Mosfet R/R | GPR Titanium Exhaust|
    01 Futura [infinity blue]
    Caponord Stanleybobly style loomed MOSFET Rectifiers & Fuelline Kit FS

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Makis View Post
    Thanks Steve.

Just looking if they are any alternative options at the moment.
    Not quite sure yet, but it seems I get a higher than normal output from the stator, that overheats the connectors that go to the regulator.
    I've tried replacing the cables and then regulator/rectifier, but got the same problem.
    Will get it looked at a dealer, but they have suggested that it may be that the stator has a short-circuit.

Thanks for the link
    That part is the rotor, not the stator. But that's not germane to your issue. The alternator always puts out all it's capable of - higher output at higer rpm. Your problem is high resistance in the conector terminals. This has been beat to death in these forums. Use the search function for hours of reading about the problem and solutions.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_O View Post
    That part is the rotor, not the stator. But that's not germane to your issue. The alternator always puts out all it's capable of - higher output at higer rpm. Your problem is high resistance in the conector terminals. This has been beat to death in these forums. Use the search function for hours of reading about the problem and solutions.

Stu
    Think your looking at the wrong bit STU there are two number eights on the diagram . Steve

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYGIT View Post
    Its always best to show where you live on you details as i have given you a link but this may not be of any use if you live outside of the UK and a particular company doesn't ship to your country Steve.
    Makis is in Greece, I think...
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYGIT View Post
    Think your looking at the wrong bit STU there are two number eights on the diagram . Steve
    Implying they are sold as one (expensive) item....
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Thanks guys,

Here is a more complete picture of what has happened.

A couple of years ago, when I had a problem with the starter solenoid, I've checked the brown connectors at the front and the regulator.
    As they were already not very good, I decided to replace the connectors and the whole cable that goes to the rectifier.

After a few months, I've started testing the new battery that Stu has also tested and posted here.
    After a while I've noticed that the battery wouldn't start the bike but thought it was probably because of the battery.
    That was again caused by the connections close to the alternator as they were overheated again.

I've again replaced the connectors, the cable, but also the rectifier this time (the MOSFET that you have suggested Stanleybobly :-) )
    But again after a while the connectors were overheating once more.

So I've decided to try and get a dealer and have a look at it.
    By talking to them, they said that it could be a case of a short-circuit in the alternator that was causing the excessive output.
    So that's why the initial question was if anyone had replaced their alternator.

But according to Stu and Steve that is not possible?

I'm almost certain that I've done the tests described in the manual about the voltage and continuity and seemed fiine.
    But it was some time ago and maybe I'll have to do them again, before the dealer visit.

By the way the dealer was so busy that I had to settle for 7th of May a couple of weeks ago!!

@Steve, I believe we've met some time ago (http://caponord.ismybike.com/content...re-and-7-capos)

@Precis, you are right in part. Was born and lived in Greece, then moved to UK for 20 years, and now in Switzerland ...

@Steve the do actually deliver here, and they also have a new website http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-b...%23aG814#aG814

Hi Makis, so you were one of the guys that started from Rivi barn on the ride out, which colour bike were you on as im terrible at remembering names and faces. That was a good day out up into Yorkshire and must be getting on for around four years ago now.. Cheers mate hope you can sort your problems out . Steve