Thread: Where's my clutch fluid going!

apriliaforum prov-nov

Where's my clutch fluid going!

Hi All

I've had my falco for about 5 months now and the other week I noticed that my clutch fluid had gotten very low, I topped it up and carried on, two weeks later it has almost emptied again, I topped it up again this morning.

I haven't taken the sprocket cover off to have a look yet but can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

There are no wet spots on the garage floor where I park it, nor can I see any visible leakage up around the reservoir so I'm a bit confused as to where it's all going as basically two full reserviors woth of fluid have gone... somewhere.

I plan on getting the belly pan and sprocket cover off tomorrow night and taking a look. Until then, any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Rich

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by squishio View Post
    Hi All

I've had my falco for about 5 months now and the other week I noticed that my clutch fluid had gotten very low, I topped it up and carried on, two weeks later it has almost emptied again, I topped it up again this morning.

I haven't taken the sprocket cover off to have a look yet but can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

There are no wet spots on the garage floor where I park it, nor can I see any visible leakage up around the reservoir so I'm a bit confused as to where it's all going as basically two full reserviors woth of fluid have gone... somewhere.

I plan on getting the belly pan and sprocket cover off tomorrow night and taking a look. Until then, any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Rich
    There isn't a lot of fluid in the system, I would bet that it's slowly leaking out the slave cylinder by the sprocket.

Sounds like you have an automatic chain oiler, keep filling it and leave it be.

Kidding, probably is the Slave Cyl leaking. Do you have the stocker on there?
    '03 Falco Bought New on 4/6/07:
    Custom paint, Powder Coated RSV Swing arm, RSV Shock, Anodized Rear Sets, Ti Hardware, Anodized (Blue) Fork Caps, SL Carbon Cans, SL Carbon Chip, Custom Airbox w/ K&N Filter, Evo Clutch Slave Cyl., CF Front Sprocket Cover, Rear Hugger, & Chain Guard, GP Shifter, Tuono Rear Brake Master Cly., Evo Clutch Slave Cly., Evo Fender Eliminator, RSVR Mirrors (custom mounts), Custom Blue Dash, HID Headlight, Smoked Tail Light Lens, Integrated Turn Signals into Taillight, LEDs in Headlight & Taillight, LEDs Thru-out, SuperSprox +2 Rear Sprocket, Ariete Grips... (i'm sure there is more)

Bill

Your clutch slave cylinder probably needs new seals or replacing depending on which way you want to solve the issue. Common issue.

Here is an old and long discussion. The title is misleading. Clutch slave info is well covered. Good luck.
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...r-Brake-Issues
    Cory
    Pleasanton California

apriliaforum expert youngbrunello's Avatar
    The slave seal leaks are usually solved with two approaches. Purchase a new master cylinder, usually an aftermarket design or replace the seal in the OEM master with a new seal. Pricey versus inexpensive. I have gone the inexpensive route with various results. Bought new OEM Aprilia seals on two occasions and fitted them- both times, the leak re-occurred after some time has passed. Don't know if it is the rubber that Brembo used in the seals, but most guys here would attest to a recurring leak sometime down the road. In 2010 Chabby (forum member) provided a source in the UK who made him a seal to order. I ordered several from this company in May 2010 and fitted one. Have not had ANY leakage from the cylinder at all from the first one fitted. Best of all the price was way under the OEM Aprilia unit price.

The company is called Fluid Power.
    I have provided the information (that chabby sent me) below that you need to furnish to Fluid Power to have a seal made. They will understand the numbers and codes and know the seal cross-section profile.

SEAL INFO:
    The seal number is SU 28 20.5 4.2 DE EPDM DK 105
    I assume the numbers in bold are the outside diameter, inside diameter and depth respectively. EPDM is the material (necessary for clutch fluid).
    The company which supplied them is Fluid Power at the address below.
    P.S. The new seal has been fitted and works fine. It cost 2.10

Unit 2 Kellaw Road
    Yarm Road Business Park
    Darlington, Co Durham DL1 4YA
    United Kingdom
    Phone 01325 282732
    Fax : 01325 381815

Fluid Power WEBSITE:
    http://www.fpe-ltd.co.uk/

My contact person there was Michelle Landers at the email address below:
    M.Landers@fpe-ltd.co.uk

I hope this helps you and anyone else in need of the seal fix for the clutch slave. Cheers.
    See the Aprilia Falco Digital Print--Art on Wheels
    @ http://www.waltfloyd.com/aprilia_falco_print.html

I had a similar problem shortly after getting my Falco, I tried cleaning it repeatedly to no avail, eventually, about 2 years ago, I stripped it all, cleaned the seal and the slave cylinder, then applied some red rubber grease to the seal when putting it back in.

I have not lost any fluid since.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks guys!

My nice new Oberon slave just arrived
    But I have read that you can't fit it with the standard sprocket cover?

Could someone tell me if thats correct?

if so, what can I do?
    I saw someone mentioned using a hole cutter to cut the standard cover, or you buy a rsv cover.

Would this one work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APRILIA-RS...item5ae03e0cda

not sure if that cover will fit. earlier mille/touno ones fit i think.
    but i believe the oberon slave does fit behind original cover
    PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER

Thanks guys!

if so, what can I do?
    I saw someone mentioned using a hole cutter to cut the standard cover, or you buy a rsv cover.

Would this one work?

You may need to do a little trimming, but it will fit. I have a Carbon RSVR Front Sprocket cover on my bike, and only needed a little trim to fit great. And you are right, an aftermarket slave will not fit behind the OE Falco Sprocket Cover, without drilling a hole to clear.
    '03 Falco Bought New on 4/6/07:
    Custom paint, Powder Coated RSV Swing arm, RSV Shock, Anodized Rear Sets, Ti Hardware, Anodized (Blue) Fork Caps, SL Carbon Cans, SL Carbon Chip, Custom Airbox w/ K&N Filter, Evo Clutch Slave Cyl., CF Front Sprocket Cover, Rear Hugger, & Chain Guard, GP Shifter, Tuono Rear Brake Master Cly., Evo Clutch Slave Cly., Evo Fender Eliminator, RSVR Mirrors (custom mounts), Custom Blue Dash, HID Headlight, Smoked Tail Light Lens, Integrated Turn Signals into Taillight, LEDs in Headlight & Taillight, LEDs Thru-out, SuperSprox +2 Rear Sprocket, Ariete Grips... (i'm sure there is more)

Bill

Thanks guys!

if so, what can I do?

Would this one work?

The oem falco cover fits with the oberon slave. How do I know I have one that's why

I noticed bugger all difference in lever feel (perhaps its because im already running radial m/c's?) but hopefully it solves your leakage issue!
    2003 Aprilia Falco
    2002 Lexus IS300
    Wouldn't mind a R34 GTR for my next toy!