Thread: New Mana owner and a couple of questions

apriliaforum newb

New Mana owner and a couple of questions

Hi everyone,

I got '09 Mana a couple of days ago. Found a pretty good deal on CL for $4,750 in like new condition with 4k miles, with some modes already installed (windshield, HID lights etc).

I have a couple of questions for you guys and gals:

I want to install lowering kit so my wife feels more comfortable riding it. She is 5'6", and feet barely touch the ground. We ordered a high sole boots for her, but also want to install kit from A1 Racing. This is the kit:
    http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dproduct=38464

I don't think I can install it myself, and looking for a mechanic/shop in my area (West LA/Santa Monica) to install it for me. Anyone have it on their bikes? Could you send me some pictures on how it looks installed, and possibly tell me what does it take to put it in? Tools needed, 1-2 people, time it takes etc?

Second question: can someone link me a page with the wrench tool I need to use to be able to adjust rear suspension (to change preload). It doesn't come with Aprilia toolkit, and there are tons of these C wrenches on the web - I just don't know which one will actually work.

I'm sure I will have more questions later

Thanks!

Tony

apriliaforum newb
    No one has it installed? I thought I saw a few people on the forum mentioning this particular kit...

In fact, I just received it in the mail, and there is no instruction whatsoever on how to install it. Where I'm supposed to put it in?

I found mechanic who would come to my house to install it for me (as well as frame sliders and a couple of more customization), but I was hoping there would be some brief instructions or at least a drawing on where the kit part needs to be inserted, so I can show it to him. Anyone can help me figure out how it's supposed to be installed? Drawing, picture, description etc?

T.

Reach out to the guys at AF1 directly, they will be more than happy to help!
    -P
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

apriliaforum newb
    I would not have anybody just come over to put on a lowering kit. It is very easy to knock over the bike and would only trust somebody that is very familiar with working on motorcycles, not just a regular car mechanic.

That being said, if it's just a rear spring, it's fairly easy. Jack up bike as far back on the engine as you can. There is the exhaust pipe in the way so I used a block of wood and two smaller blocks of wood on either side of the pipe. You'll want to use two people to steady the bike while jacking and you slide a jack stand under each foot peg (the inner portion that does not fold up). I used a folded rag in between to protect the paint. After lowering on the jack stands, the bike is fairly stable and you can remove the two bolts for the rear shock. There is no pressure on the swingarm at this point except the weight of the swingarm itself and the tire so you have to pull up just a little on the rear of the swingarm to get the bolts out.

To change the spring or the spring pad (depends which lowering kit you got), you will need a press or a motorcycle spring compressor. I would just take it to any motorcycle shop if you don't have either. Very simple with the right tool and should be a minimum charge.

If you have the shorter front fork springs also, I haven't done it on a Mana but have on many other different bikes. Let me know and I can give you the general gist of that too.

Also, when you're all done, make sure to correct the kickstand height. If you don't, it'll be fairly upright when parked and you'll always be worried about it getting knocked over. Just slide different thicknesses of wood under the tires until you get the right angle then cut the kickstand off that same amount. I had a 3/4 piece of scrap plywood underneath each tire and the angle was perfect, then used a scrap 3/4 piece to trace around the kickstand to cut off. If you really want to do it right, weld on a pad when you're finished.

apriliaforum newb
    You might want to check out my thread: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...he-mana-for-25

If you're using the lowering spring pad, it's basically what I did except using the falco stock one. You can also lower the forks very easy but you'll have to decide how low is safe. Someone mentioned that 3 lines was all their dealer was comfortable with but I have had no problem with the extreme 1 3/8".

Simply loosen all 6 bolts on the lower and upper triples that keep the forks sinched in. Put a jack and block of wood underneath the engine with just a little bit of gap. Now jounce the front suspension with the front brake held. It is actually pretty hard to get to slide but I keep the jack underneath just in case it slips through real fast (you don't it to slide all the way down to the front fender, that's what the jack is for, more of a safety). Anyways, tighten the bolts down when you get the desired height and check cables for rubbing. Super easy.

It's not your neighborhood but you could contact Vespa of Sherman Oaks. They sell, service and can mod Manas. http://www.vespaso.com/

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    what boots did your wife get?
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red #64

Previous Capo 2006 traded for the new one at 78,000 miles.