Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help buying exhaust

help buying exhaust

It'll soon be time to buy an exhaust for my bike .When I bought the bike it was a basket case and didn't have one with it. What I'd like to know is :-
    1. Do all exhausts come in restricted form
    2. do they come with a fitting kit
    3. If you buy an aftermarket exhaust and declare it to your insurance does it increase the premiums.
    4. with everything else standard on the bike and using a phbn carb what size main jet should I go up to ( original is a 74)

I've had a quick look around and like the look of the Leo Vince, and the Gianelli. Not too sure about Arrow but I understand its a good exhaust. I'm not too bothered about performance, more with looks and ease of de-restriction. Although I do need it to be restricted in the first place so that it looks as though there's a chance of not breaking the law if you understand what I mean.
    I'd be really interested to know your views/ preferances even if you don't know answers to the question.
    Thanks in advance.
    1999 rs50
    standard 50cc barrel+piston
    12mm phbn carb 86 main jet
    standard airbox
    conti racing clutch+uprated springs
    exhaust- Gianelli-carbon end can
    reeds- not sure
    bank account-empty

1, some do, but high performance exhausts dont.
    2, Most of them do, if they dont its not hard to fabricate some sort of hanger
    3, Yes, but just dont declare, Insurance company's cant tell the difference most of the time.
    4. every bike is different so its just a case of trail and error go up 10 sizes or somthing and make sure its running rich, then work your way down.

Arroew and gianelli are the same. They are the best street exhausts out there atm, and just deristrict it, you will get about 50Mph out of it then.

Quote Originally Posted by camb00 View Post
    Arroew and gianelli are the same. They are the best street exhausts out there atm
    I disagree. In your opinion they may be the best, but it depends on your current set up and your riding style.

Dont get me wrong, arrow and gianelli are good, but id sooner go with jollymoto.

Quote Originally Posted by camb00 View Post
    3, Yes, but just dont declare, Insurance company's cant tell the difference most of the time.
    Dont listen to him. Its your call whether you want to declare it or not. IF you have an accident, by which i mean a serious one, some insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying for you. It'd be quick and easy to spot that your bike isn't standard, nor restricted, and so both your insurance and licence are invalid. Have fun explaining that one.

When i rode my moped, i didn't bother declaring exhaust mods, but when i modified my RS, due to the extent of the mods, i did declare. It did cost a fair bit more but, in my opinion, worth the reassurance.

Its your call mate, end of the day if you get caught, camb00 cant and isn't going to take the fall for you. If you don't get caught, done well

55 Aprilia SR 50 R
    Technigas Exhaust System

97 Aprilia RS 50 (Project)

08 SXV 450 - New Toy

all im gonna say is

GIANELLI - probly one of best pipes going for aprilia

ARROW - great exhaust also

LEO VINCE - id say its main feature is the noise

JOLLY MOTO - dont know how legal they are but from what iv seen they will have the BIGGEST performance increase

personally i wouldnt declare it as insurance wud go through the roof! and chances are you wont get caught over here.... BUT YOUR CALL! i had a SR50 tuned like mad and it was more than obvious that it wasnt stock, looked far from it, louder due to leo vince exhaust, and acceleration was great ...... cops do portable dyno tests at my college, pulled me over for speeding and apperently wheelieing at 80mph so i was reported (i wasnt tho) and i never had a sniff while i had it

my RS50 has a pipe which i think came off a 600 and is loud at 8000rpm ect but not a sniff there

all up to you pal but i think u should be fine

and id take patricks advice on taking care of your exhaust! apperently hes covered 13yrs on his gianelli by keeping it clean, free of rust and waxing it (i think its `13 yrs .....)
    Engine Always Screaming!

Its Not What You Ride Its How You Ride It

cheers for the advice guys I knew this would be a tricky one. I'm not making any other mods to the bike except the exhaust and obviously I wouldn't buy a standard one simply because of the cost of a new one. 50 mph will be quite enough for my boy I'm sure. I can still almost remember riding my rd 50 around 1983 at 45mph tops! I used to commute around 60 miles a day too on windy and windy roads( thats blowy and bendy. Ha) . I'd have liked a bit more power but put up with it till I got a yam rxs 100. The power difference was unbelievable, you could ride up hills without slowing to a crawl. Anyway I'm drifting off subject now. So is the Leo Vince much louder than the others? ( gianelli/Arrow)I've never seen a jolly moto, what price are they? I dont want to spend more than around 170 euros. Also if I went for the Gianelli I take it I'd have to get springs for it, would standard ones be ok or do I have to get a certain length?
    1999 rs50
    standard airbox
    reeds- not sure
    bank account-empty

Quote Originally Posted by nicketynoo View Post
    cheers for the advice guys I knew this would be a tricky one. I'm not making any other mods to the bike except the exhaust and obviously I wouldn't buy a standard one simply because of the cost of a new one. 50 mph will be quite enough for my boy I'm sure. I can still almost remember riding my rd 50 around 1983 at 45mph tops! I used to commute around 60 miles a day too on windy and windy roads( thats blowy and bendy. Ha) . I'd have liked a bit more power but put up with it till I got a yam rxs 100. The power difference was unbelievable, you could ride up hills without slowing to a crawl. Anyway I'm drifting off subject now. So is the Leo Vince much louder than the others? ( gianelli/Arrow)I've never seen a jolly moto, what price are they? I dont want to spend more than around 170 euros. Also if I went for the Gianelli I take it I'd have to get springs for it, would standard ones be ok or do I have to get a certain length?
    leo vince is maybe a bit louder but its more of a deeper sound, bit rumbly maybe

giannelli should come with springs but if not just order a couple new ones if u dont wanna use stock ones....
    my mate has arrow and too be fair it sounds really good, wen screaming it tho

jolly moto , hmmm not sure where u can buy them for Rs50 but u can.... iv seen places u can buy them for Rs125 so will look for u now - but i think they make a very big increase in power as they are a FULL race power intent on power only (when u look at the shape and size of main pipe u will see that haha) so that wud be goof also
    Engine Always Screaming!

hhmmm cant see a pic on this - maybe u can..... look at the link

http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/April...Exhausts_.html

heres pic for one on a rs 125

http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/info_595.html
    Engine Always Screaming!

looks a bit costly and specialized for what I need. Thanks for the links tho'
    1999 rs50
    standard airbox
    reeds- not sure
    bank account-empty

looks a bit costly and specialized for what I need. Thanks for the links tho'
    id go for
    arrow
    Giannelli
    leo vince

then in your case
    Engine Always Screaming!

http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles...lia_Rs_50.html

Have you ever seen these on a Rs the price is good for a full kit and theres even a fully chromed pipe. The expansion chamber looks like its been manufactured cheaply but I suppose you get what you pay for. Never seen them or heard them mentioned.
    1999 rs50
    standard airbox
    reeds- not sure
    bank account-empty

Have you ever seen these on a Rs the price is good for a full kit and theres even a fully chromed pipe. The expansion chamber looks like its been manufactured cheaply but I suppose you get what you pay for. Never seen them or heard them mentioned.
    never seen or heard of one of them so cudnt tell u alot about it..... although cant see police or insurance even getting suspisious of aftermarket to stock as it looks just like a normal pipe

just a thought, why dont you buy a second hand stock pipe? seen alot on ebay as i was going to buy one..... if you bought one of them you could clean it up and make it like new! - another little project (iv seen them get picked up for 50 - 100)

heres some on adrenalin if you want performance then heres some below 170

http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/P...ategoryID=4514
    Engine Always Screaming!

Thats good replacement exhaust, Performance upgrade will be almost nothing,

Leovince is a good exhaust, the sound is very tinny, like a dirtbike.

If i were you i'd go for the arrow/gianelli best exhaust for the money..

Originally Posted by camb00
    Arroew and gianelli are the same. They are the best street exhausts out there atm
    I disagree. In your opinion they may be the best, but it depends on your current set up and your riding style.

Dont get me wrong, arrow and gianelli are good, but id sooner go with jollymoto.

Hence the Street in bold letters , jolly moto are overprices imo, There are many better( price performance ratio) exhausts out there. The trouble is is that th U.K are not big on 50cc tuning parts etc so the supply there is smaller than in the netherlands for example.

I'll go for arrow or Giannelli

Tecnologia Reparto Corse RS_Patrick's Avatar
    Arrow or Giannelli are verry good for road use as they got a wide powerband so you can drive normaly at lower speeds, something wich you wont be able to do with the above mentioned Jolly Moto wich is basicly just a high reving pipe, fine if you want to go fast, but if you dont want to drive full throttle its not such a good pipe, Leovince is the same but less bad.

Thanks thats really helpful, put me off the Leo vince a bit!
    1999 rs50
    standard airbox
    reeds- not sure
    bank account-empty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast