Thread: New (but related) fuel leak issue!

apriliaforum expert commandodave's Avatar

New (but related) fuel leak issue!

Okay, boys and girls. listen up.

I was working under the tank this weekend, I had reason to uncouple the quick disconnects. After I put the tank back on I noticed the odor of fuel in the air. I looked closely and there was a drip, drip, drip of $4 per gallon petrol coming from the quick disconnect. Uncouple the pair, the drip stops. Turns out the drip was caused by a deteriorated o-ring in the male connector. I took the o-ring off my old plastic connector (Previously replaced with a metal one) and used it. Drip stopped. My metal connectors are the ones sold by the Ducati dealer back around 2005.

I think it would behoove us to have a spare FUEL PROOF o-ring handy. Most of the ones in service are now approx 10 years old. They are also subject to mechanical use/abuse when uncoupling/recoupling the quick disconnects.

Does anyone have the specs on the o-ring. My local auto-parts store has a mult-pack of several different sized viton o-rings for about $20. A bit overkill when I need just one of a specific size. The parts diagram does not list the o-ring as a separate part. It just has the entire fitting.

Dave

I'm pretty sure I ordered a spare oring way back when. In my bag of spares is a ring about the right size in comparison to the one on the old plastic fitting - now used for tank draining if the need arises. As best I can measure, it's 7/16" OD and 5/16" ID - so 1/16" thick. That translates to 11 mm and just shy of 7mm. But those fittings are inches at the other end iirc.

I've seen these seals fail on an oil recirculating system at work. So not a big surprise that they would eventually go. Good heads up at this point though. It's also important to reinsert those fittings wet with gas for some lubrication. rick

I just pulled my tank and replaced the fuel sensor. AF1 didn't seem to think I needed a new oring and I just put it all back together without doing anything to the sealing surface. No leak's, but fuel gauge still wacky once in awhile!

Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
    I just pulled my tank and replaced the fuel sensor. AF1 didn't seem to think I needed a new oring and I just put it all back together without doing anything to the sealing surface. No leak's, but fuel gauge still wacky once in awhile!
    Think you'll find that the gauge will be inconsistent at and near full. Sometimes it'll read 4.5 right after fill-up, and then take some miles(50 even) before registering F. That's normal for this thing. Think consensus is the sensor is spot on near the bottom where it counts.

The big oring around the base of the pump plate stands so proud of the plate, as long as it stays soft, there's no real need to replace it.

So you installed the fuel pump plate o'ring dry?
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Did touch it! No leaks!

Did touch it! No leaks!
    The lip around the hole in the bottom of the tank makes the plastic look far thicker than it actually is. In fact, it's quite thin behind the ridge. As a result, that thick oring pushes the plastic away everywhere there is not a mounting bolt. The result - gasoline on the ground. On the plus side, the tray under the back of the tank has a drain hole and hose to direct it away from the rear exhaust.

The factory did not do this at assembly, but the shop manual calls for using an anaerobic sealant on the oring. If you're lucky it won't leak. Last time mine leaked, it was with a new ring and the anaerobic stuff. It let loose while sitting in traffic on a fall day.

Even after flattening the tank with JBW or Devcon Flexwelder, we still used the red anaerobic goo. Hence bikpaintr's question.

So if it starts to leak, it'll be w/o warning or reason. It could be a slow leak, it could be a gusher. Neither would be good out in the boonies away from gas station, or worse, in an attached garage with a water heater near by.

Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    Even after flattening the tank with JBW or Devcon Flexwelder, we still used the red anaerobic goo. Hence bikpaintr's question.

So if it starts to leak, it'll be w/o warning or reason. It could be a slow leak, it could be a gusher. Neither would be good out in the boonies away from gas station, or worse, in an attached garage with a water heater near by.
    I'm amazed we've made it 10 years without a "my Futura burnt down the house!" post. We have had a few close calls if memory serves.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

Quote Originally Posted by bikpaintr View Post
    I'm amazed we've made it 10 years without a "my Futura burnt down the house!" post. We have had a few close calls if memory serves.
    Really, that would be bad. We have had a few toasted Futura though. Can't recall any in the states. I think they were all in Europe somewhere. The QD recall here saved a lot of bikes. Can't remember who, but someone from the forum can take credit for starting that Fed recall. We're still workin' at it.