Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, I got my birthday present.

apriliaforum Junkie WileECoyote's Avatar

So, I got my birthday present.

My wife knew I always wanted a Ducati so she bought me a 99 Ducati 996. I need to know a few things. What to watch for? Also, the PO decided to remove one brake rotor and caliper on the front to match the single disc rear with the single sided swinger. Yes aesthetically pleasing but, no good for braking. What fits this year? I'll need rotors and a caliper for the right side. Suggestions? I own a Tuono and am in the process of a rebuild. She must've figured I needed another ride for the interim. Whatta lady, huh?
    Funny quip goes here

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    Great lady and a very fun project. My old 996 was a blast but I can never comprehend - removing the front brake and caliper. Make it a fun project and an occasional rider - after you make it whole
    present
    A "new/old"2004 Gen 2 project
    Last "Nera" RSVR sold to a good home

5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

I am very lucky to have her. I rode the Duck home at a quick pace and loved it. Looking forward to tinkering with it but I know it will need brakes redone. Any one know which I'm looking for? Brembo wheels and what appear to be the same Brembo brake thats on my Tuono.
    Funny quip goes here

Sounds like you have a good woman. I think if post some pics, someone will be able to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
    ... Also, the PO decided to remove one brake rotor and caliper on the front to match the single disc rear with the single sided swing ...
    WTF ??? ... is this a joke? ... what kinda person? ...

.... Whatta lady, huh?
    Yep ... a tops chick, no risk. Congrats on the new bike too!

Aprilia SL1000R Falco 2003
    Ariel NH350 Red Hunter 1950

"I want the one I can't have ..."

No, no joke at all. So I need to find out what fits the Duck. After a bit of research it looks as though 65 mm calipers and 320mm disc with 10mm offset is what I'm after. Anybody know if any Ape parts match?
    Funny quip goes here

Hey, I'm way late to this, sorry...yep, that's thats' right, but I don't know what Ape parts fit except calipers. Do yourself a favor and find some 4 pad calipers if you haven't already! I THiNK everything is a straight swap, but please don't quote me on that...

Ok, listen and listen good on this; this next piece of advice either endears you to the desmoquattro or will be the bain of your relationship; you need to check the shim clearances AND inspect the rockers for wear, especially the openers. This is not optional. For starters, when you change your oil, you need to pull out the mesh screen and inspect for metal flakes. There will be some there, but you're looking for chrome flakes which come from the rocker wear faces. If you've got some chrome on the mesh, then open that puppy up post haste, seriously, and check those clearances. Ideally, your intake openers and all closers should be set at .004 and exhaust openers set to .006. Don't take ANYONE'S word this has been done. I MIGHT believe the PO or or shop if I had the actually shim worksheets showing the before and after clearances...but even then the majority of people don't inspect the rockers.

Your rockers WILL FAIL. There was an issue with the plating process for several years. Rechromed rockers are about $100/per. I just replaced 4 on my race bike, but that's a bit different.

Valves CAN BE a DIY. They are not difficult, they do require a few special tools (not expensive really) and you can be sure the job is done right.

You asked about brakes and got an earfull about valves!!!! Sorry...there's nothing like a duc...but what makes them unique requires some attention too. Do it right, you'll get to enjoy her for a long time!
    Allen Dye

MSF Ridercoach

'02 Aprilia Mille R (About to be a racer)
    '02 Aprilia Futura (Rooster)
    Ducati 748/699 (CMRA Racer)

That is great info IBA, thank you. I have looked at oil and the screen. No chromey bits but dirty. I am concerned about the valves and the belts. Belts appear new and no dry rot or cracks. I will be checking clearances soon and probably open up heads to have a gander at the rest. Think high comp pistons are in order just to freshen her up too.
    Funny quip goes here

apriliaforum expert
    PM sent concerning maintenance.
    Driving Force at ducatitoolrental.com
    Motorcycles: a celebration of the human condition.

That is great info IBA, thank you. I have looked at oil and the screen. No chromey bits but dirty. I am concerned about the valves and the belts. Belts appear new and no dry rot or cracks. I will be checking clearances soon and probably open up heads to have a gander at the rest. Think high comp pistons are in order just to freshen her up too.
    Definately check valves....004 on openers and closers, .006 on exhaust openers.

I forgot one crucial piece...when you start it, let it run for a good couple of minutes before riding off or giving it any throttle. It takes a painfully long time for oil to get to the top end. That has a lot to do with rocker issues.

As far as hi comp pistons are concerned; I'd probably leave it alone honestly. Find some Mag wheels...BIG difference..
    Allen Dye

MSF Ridercoach

Got that covered, bought her some new shoes in the form of Carrozerria Forged. Made a HELL of a difference! Some other nice carbon bits as well. New clutch, levers and on and on we go. Its a sickness ya see? I got it bad.
    Funny quip goes here

Got that covered, bought her some new shoes in the form of Carrozerria Forged. Made a HELL of a difference! Some other nice carbon bits as well. New clutch, levers and on and on we go. Its a sickness ya see? I got it bad.
    It IS a sickness!!!

Like I said...I wouldn't mess with the internals...that'll start to get very expensive, very quickly and your returns probably won't be that bike. Lightening the bike like what you're doing, exhaust and suspension makes the difference with these beasts!

Whatchagot for suspenders? Ohlins internals are popular for the Showa's..
    Allen Dye

MSF Ridercoach

Well, that is on the list of to-do's. I've got a line on a nice clean Ohlins for the rear and thought about either the internals or a fork swap. Yet to make up my mind on how much I'm supposed to weigh. Getting old sucks......................
    Funny quip goes here

apriliaforum Member
    I raced a 748 for 7 years and had a variety of suspension bits in that time. The BEST solution I found in the Showa fork was a properly tuned set of GP suspension valves.

They sell their stuff online still I think - give them a call and have them help you get sorted out.

http://www.gpsuspension.com/

apriliaforum prov-nov RocketDan's Avatar
    My wife knew I always wanted a Ducati so she bought me a 99 Ducati 996. I need to know a few things. What to watch for? Also, the PO decided to remove one brake rotor and caliper on the front to match the single disc rear with the single sided swinger. Yes aesthetically pleasing but, no good for braking. What fits this year? I'll need rotors and a caliper for the right side. Suggestions? I own a Tuono and am in the process of a rebuild. She must've figured I needed another ride for the interim. Whatta lady, huh?
    I'm a little late to this thread but my wife did the same thing last year and bought be a 916. Biggest surprise I've ever gotten

Hope you are still enjoying your Duc
    Last edited by RocketDan; 10-10-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast