Thread: Problem suggestions please

Yellow Shirt

Problem suggestions please

Hey all new to the forum and bought my first aprilia a month ago nice silver 03 futura

was going well until a week ago bike cut out on me and flashed the word off on the display and didn't want to restart put into diagnostic mode and its code was 1 looked that up and it says nothing wrong or cant detect a problem
    so went thru a few checks to see what makes the off flash on the dash and it seems to be when you try and pull away when the side stands down so thinking bypassing the side stand switch might cure this problem as a few people have recommended to do any way
    some one else thinks i may be the tilt sensor because its done it twice going up a hill (but not on the same hill twice) but no clue

has this happened to any one else ? bike runs fine then all of a sudden bike dies and off is displayed on dash and wont restart again until bike is in neutral even if you pull the clutch in ?

thanks in advance for any help

Pretty sure it is the side stand switch. Start the engine and select a gear with clutch handle in and then kick out the side stand.
    I think you get the same OFF in the display doing this.

I opened up my side stand switch and filled it with fresh grease.
    Last edited by deefred; 04-07-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, Mille brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod done and soldered all the contacts in the brown and white connectors to the Regulator. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging..
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod) over all rpm. Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller

+1

Happened to me yesterday at the Piazza Italia in Horsham - pulled up to let the missus off and left bike in gear with side stand down, engine cut-out, OFF appeared on right hand display.

Defo check your side stand switch. Renewed mine about a year ago as bike was cutting out on a run. Took the old one off and there were only a couple of strands holding the lead together. I think the problem is strain on the lead because of it's run to the connector. (it could do with being a bit longer!)