Thread: lubricating question

apriliaforum Member Tikitulamutu's Avatar

lubricating question

I've got another question...

What's the lubricating circuit on our V990?
    I mean, I was inspecting the crankshaft this morning, and I wondered what was the way of the oil through it. I mean, I wonder if the oil comes from the clutch cover, and then it enters inside the crankshaft and then it lubricates the bearings and rods, or if it comes from the crankcase, and then through the crankshaft to the clutch cover parts... you know what I mean?

The left main bearing gets oil from a hole in the case/bearing. The right main and rods get oil through the crank center from the primary cover as you suggested.

Last edited by kzmille; 04-06-2012 at 02:06 PM.

thanks Kzmille! That's what I first thought, but I don't remember why I was not totally sure...
    btw, who did that drawing?

It came from a factory training manual for the Falco that I found online.

hey, take a look at this please:

Is this usual?

I think it's the scavenge pump. There is a small, and a big one, this is the bigger one...
    Well, at first I didn't noticed the damage on it, but looking closer, it seems like something got inside and had some party there...
    I tried to smoothing the holes and sharped edges with sand paper, but it didn't worked... the pump got locked every time I tried to rotate it...
    I also think that it could lose some pressure that way so I'm not sure if that was a good idea, but at least, it was the only one...
    Is it possible that the engine worked perfectly this way by the years and no body had noticed anything if I had assembled the engine with that pump?
    Cause at first, I was decided to try out the engine without doing nothing... and well, I want to know if I have been lucky, or nothing would had happend if I had run the engine with that oil pump....
    The guy who gave me the engine, was not aware of this issue... he had a small accident with the bike a year ago or so, and broke his frame, so he sold parts separately..
    I think I will have to look for a new one...
    I wanted to ask you also, well, in the shop manual of the rsv mille, it says that the oil pump cases have to be sealed with some kind of Loctite product... is this necessary? Cause I think I will have some problems to find out someone who sells that around here...

I would want to inspect the inside of the outer rotor and bore in the case closely. Check clearances in the case and rotors as per the manual. I would want to replace those parts that look like the one pictured. That being said, it is the scavenge pump which operates at much lower pressure than the pressure pump. I would still want to replace it though. On the Loctite. Clearly 648 should be used on the pressure relief cap. I don't have a strong opinion on using 574 on the case surfaces. Used carefully it could have benefits. I've heard others who've built more of these than I say they don't use it. It might be easier to find Curil-T which is used in similar situations. Use it sparingly though.

The bore in the case must be OK; I haven't meassured yet but I belive it's fine.
    Well, it's got signs of damage too, but it is just on the surface at the bottom of the case... I will have to smooth that cause I cannot replace the hole crankcase >__<
    But outside and inner rotors are both damaged... so I guess I must replace them...

Unless it was really bad I don't think you need to worry about the case. Remember the scavenge side has no real restrictions. All it does is suck up the oil, push it through the cooler, and dump it into the oil tank. Be careful about removing any material to clean things up. You could easily do more harm than good.