Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for a definative answer...maybe!

Time for a definative answer...maybe!

Throughout this forum, there is lots of talk about "breaking in" a RS 125. Everyone, (and their dog), seems to have the "correct" answer. I know what all of the literature states. But if you think about it, all you are doing on a two stroke, (or for that matter, a four stroke as well), during the break in period, is allowing the rings to do their thing while the edges are still sharp and allowing them to seat within the cylinder. After about 60 miles or so of keeping it below the 6000 RPM mark, they will have certainly lost their edge and you will "have what you have"! Taking 1600 miles to break in a engine is ludicrous. If one observes the temperature indicator and does a proper warm-up, to allow everything to expand nice and slowly, and takes it easy for the first 5 min, you should be ready to give er'. I just don't see the logic in the long break in period. Maybe I am missing something?

Kind regards...Craig
    Last edited by Craig H.; 04-05-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    When I go, I want to go like dear old grandpa...asleep at the wheel with everyone else in the car screaming!!

A recent study found the average Canadian walks about 900 miles a year. Another study found Canadians drink, on average, 22 gallons of beer a year. That means, on average, Canadians get about 41 miles to the gallon. Kind of makes you proud to be Canadian, doesn't it??!!

1972 Honda 450 SL
    1976 Honda 750 F
    1977 Yamaha 650
    1978 Honda 125 CL
    1982 Suzuki GS 1100
    2004 ZRX 1200
    2007 GSXR 600
    2009 Aprilia RS125
    2010 BMW K 1300 S

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hey mate, all engines are always tested before dispatching. I'm still in the process of breaking-in my engine atm. My mate who's a bike mechanic tells me there's no need to limit the your revs during break-in. He stated "Ride it like it's stolen" lol :x

apriliaforum prov-nov
    To be Honest, Sooooo Many people will tell you different, Some say Rag her..Some say Take her eazy, i find the best way is to take it intermediate when warm, Occasional Rag.... just enjoy, and look after your bike and it will look after you.

From brand new 500Miles is the ''Break in'' period, new piston i been told different.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I just got one. Heated it up at idle, rode around neighborhood for a few minutes under 6K RPM, then parked it for an hour in the shade. Repeat 3 times total. Compression when cold is 126 psi. Next ride after installing street kit was 10K RPM, just not in higher gears (4,5,6) as the load is long time at full pull, so I avoid. Did this for 2 rides. Next ride was full RPM as desired, just not keeping at above 8K, but full pull including 6th gear. Got 105 mph indicated in windy conditions. Cooled down, compression test show 126 psi. No more compression, but no less either. Now I will ride it as desired with no thought towards breaking in.

You got 105 mph ,now that's more than me racer.
    A parting Glass.

back in my MX days, a 'fresh bore' break-in was about 15-20 mins...up and down rpm's, let it cooll, and do it again, this time with vigor...but, that was aircooled, watercooled is a little different...you can have a 'cold seize' also...my thoughts, bring it to temp a couple times, cool down, check head bolts. etc, then HAVE FUN!!!
    rulz, we donn neeeed no steeenkin rulz....

inside rulz!!

Now...all of these reply's seem more appropriate. I think the biggest thing is to insure that the engine is properly warmed up prior to any aggressive throttle.

Craig
    When I go, I want to go like dear old grandpa...asleep at the wheel with everyone else in the car screaming!!

A recent study found the average Canadian walks about 900 miles a year. Another study found Canadians drink, on average, 22 gallons of beer a year. That means, on average, Canadians get about 41 miles to the gallon. Kind of makes you proud to be Canadian, doesn't it??!!

1972 Honda 450 SL
    1976 Honda 750 F
    1977 Yamaha 650
    1978 Honda 125 CL
    1982 Suzuki GS 1100
    2004 ZRX 1200
    2007 GSXR 600
    2009 Aprilia RS125
    2010 BMW K 1300 S

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I think the bike will do closer to 115 mph indicated with a little gearing change. It was over 11K. Peak power has to be around 10K. Not sure I will change the gearing anytime soon. Bike is fantastic so far. Just went to the Title office and BMV (same as DMV) everywhere else in USA and got title and tags. Took about 15 minutes total. $295 in tax/title and $48 in tag fees. No visual inspection, no extra forms to sign. Easy as pie. Put plate on and rode home.
    Chris
    Last edited by glrraracer; 04-05-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig H. View Post
    Throughout this forum, there is lots of talk about "breaking in" a RS 125. Everyone, (and their dog), seems to have the "correct" answer. I know what all of the literature states. But if you think about it, all you are doing on a two stroke, (or for that matter, a four stroke as well), during the break in period, is allowing the rings to do their thing while the edges are still sharp and allowing them to seat within the cylinder. After about 60 miles or so of keeping it below the 6000 RPM mark, they will have certainly lost their edge and you will "have what you have"! Taking 1600 miles to break in a engine is ludicrous. If one observes the temperature indicator and does a proper warm-up, to allow everything to expand nice and slowly, and takes it easy for the first 5 min, you should be ready to give er'. I just don't see the logic in the long break in period. Maybe I am missing something?

Kind regards...Craig
    The bit your missing is it's nothing to do with the rings, your heating up the piston until it stabilised/normalises it's 'hot shape/size'. You want to do the gradualy in stages and letting engines idle is the worst thing you can do. I normaly do 3 X5 min first 5 min is up to 1/3 throttle, wait 15 min then up to 2/3 throttle and wait 15 min then go for the doctor. Keep in 1 gear and roll on and off the throttle never constant. At a race meeting it's 2 laps at 2/3rds pacethen tootle down pit lane and on to the track and go for it.
    If jesus had ridden,he would have rode a two stroke

Quote Originally Posted by 2T Institute View Post
    letting engines idle is the worst thing you can do.
    Holy **** I've been doing that. Bike is 1500km on the odo. What should I look out for now?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrolG View Post
    Holy **** I've been doing that. Bike is 1500km on the odo. What should I look out for now?
    Cops and speed cameras when your riding with the throttle pinned to the stop
    If jesus had ridden,he would have rode a two stroke

apriliaforum Junkie
    Not so many speed camera issues in M'sia, cops seem to turn a blind eye when they see some Ringgit

True, also at east m'sia they don't even bother stopping big bikes for almost anything

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Took the bike out with GPS to measure true top speed. Ran 98 MPH on Garmin GPS. 105 MPH was displayed on the bike speedometer.
    Chris

Well...it seized yesterday. Always waited until at least 2 bars show on temperature gauge. Almost lost it when it happened. Let things cool down, and spun it over...no compression. So much for going by the book for break-in. Off to the shop tomorrow to have them take a look, as it is still under warranty.

Craig

1972 Honda 450 SL
    1976 Honda 750 F
    1977 Yamaha 650
    1978 Honda 125 CL
    1982 Suzuki GS 1100
    2004 ZRX 1200
    2007 GSXR 600
    2009 Aprilia RS125
    2010 BMW K 1300 S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast