Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Is pre mixing oil with fuel required on new 70cc?

  1. #1
    apriliaforum Member poinndexxter79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    159

    Is pre mixing oil with fuel required on new 70cc?

    I thought the Malossi 70 ECU was supposed to regulate the amount of fuel for the new engine. My engine is blown now after 60+ miles on it and I was very careful with the throttle, only 1/4 -2/3 throttle. This is a very expensive lesson, do I need to pre-mix 2T oil in my fuel when running a new top and bottom end?
    2003 Scarabeo 50 DiTech - ECU Remapped by HGT - Water trap - Kevlar belt - Multivar 2000, 8.5 Dr.Pulley sliders - Leo Vince SP3 derestricted - Malossi 70cc BBK - Malossi crank - Malossi carbon reed

  2. #2
    apriliaforum expert NoNameForEver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    2,784
    No, that would not help a Ditech engine..

  3. #3
    apriliaforum expert NoNameForEver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    2,784
    Did you remove the oil line from the mikuni oil pump during this rebuild? And if so did you prime it/bleed the oil line? High-Gain oil line bleed procedure..

  4. #4
    apriliaforum Member poinndexxter79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameForEver View Post
    Did you remove the oil line from the mikuni oil pump during this rebuild? And if so did you prime it/bleed the oil line? High-Gain oil line bleed procedure..
    No, the oil line was nor removed at any time.
    2003 Scarabeo 50 DiTech - ECU Remapped by HGT - Water trap - Kevlar belt - Multivar 2000, 8.5 Dr.Pulley sliders - Leo Vince SP3 derestricted - Malossi 70cc BBK - Malossi crank - Malossi carbon reed

  5. #5
    apriliaforum expert NoNameForEver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    2,784
    The psi number sounds fine to me, but I'm not sure since this is an air cooled cylinder. Did you grease the crank bearings during rebuild? Have you checked the crankshaft on the front variator for any play/movement up/down left/right?

  6. #6
    apriliaforum Member poinndexxter79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameForEver View Post
    The psi number sounds fine to me, but I'm not sure since this is an air cooled cylinder. Did you grease the crank bearings during rebuild? Have you checked the crankshaft on the front variator for any play/movement up/down left/right?
    Yes, I checked the front crank shaft today while doing my TPS reset. The crank bearings were greased very well. Maybe my compressor? After I had it drilled and tapped to 1/8 , I used brake parts cleaner to spray out the small metal shavings but I did not re lube it. I thought it would re lube itself with 2T oil. Is that what is gone wrong? My compressor cover?
    2003 Scarabeo 50 DiTech - ECU Remapped by HGT - Water trap - Kevlar belt - Multivar 2000, 8.5 Dr.Pulley sliders - Leo Vince SP3 derestricted - Malossi 70cc BBK - Malossi crank - Malossi carbon reed

  7. #7
    Banned Snugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    3,283
    Do make an accurate diagnostic, it needs to be taken apart and the failed part needs to be located. Once you know where the problem is, we will know what caused it.

    I thought you only installed the BBK, you did the "bottom end" as well meaning crank, bearings and seals? How did you check the "front crank shaft"? How is it that the bottom end was replaced without removing the hose to the oil pump?

  8. #8
    apriliaforum expert NoNameForEver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    2,784
    The air compressor could explain it. Time to pull it and inspect.. Have a look in in this thread. Read from page linked to and the next ones..

  9. #9
    Banned Snugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    3,283
    I'm a little confused.
    Did the scooter just stop running? An air compressor can cause damage if it somehow broke and something dropped into the engine case and got picked up by the crank. Other than that, a failed air compressor won't cause a "blown engine". It would just not run. Unless I'm wrong, somebody correct me

    I'll wait to comment more until after you find out what part failed.

  10. #10
    apriliaforum expert NoNameForEver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    2,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Snugg View Post
    Other than that, a failed air compressor won't cause a "blown engine". It would just not run. Unless I'm wrong, somebody correct me
    You, wrong, never.. A failed compressor, makes the scooter a non runner... fast. If so, it's a little bit ouch..

  11. #11
    apriliaforum expert NoNameForEver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    2,784
    Quote Originally Posted by poinndexxter79 View Post
    No, the oil line was nor removed at any time.
    So when you split the case removing the old and installing the new crank, bearings and oil seals, you did not remove the oil line from the Mikuni solenoid? #8

  12. #12
    Banned Snugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    3,283
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameForEver View Post
    You, wrong, never.. A failed compressor, makes the scooter a non runner... fast. If so, it's a little bit ouch..
    Yes That's exactly what I said

  13. #13
    Aprilia Forum Moderator High Gain Tuning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Parker Colorado
    Posts
    13,205
    Quote Originally Posted by poinndexxter79 View Post
    Yes, I checked the front crank shaft today while doing my TPS reset. The crank bearings were greased very well. Maybe my compressor? After I had it drilled and tapped to 1/8 , I used brake parts cleaner to spray out the small metal shavings but I did not re lube it. I thought it would re lube itself with 2T oil. Is that what is gone wrong? My compressor cover?
    My guess after hearing that is some debris is stuck under the compressor disc.

  14. #14
    apriliaforum Member poinndexxter79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameForEver View Post
    So when you split the case removing the old and installing the new crank, bearings and oil seals, you did not remove the oil line from the Mikuni solenoid? #8
    I was not there when my mechanic split the case and installed the new malossi crank, I trust that my mechanic did it correctly, I hope. The bike shut down today and when it did, it felt the same as when my water trap line popped off. The bike just lost power , it started up again 10 seconds later only to idle very low and just shut down again. Compressor?
    2003 Scarabeo 50 DiTech - ECU Remapped by HGT - Water trap - Kevlar belt - Multivar 2000, 8.5 Dr.Pulley sliders - Leo Vince SP3 derestricted - Malossi 70cc BBK - Malossi crank - Malossi carbon reed

  15. #15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •