Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: custom seat

apriliaforum newb

custom seat

Once again thanx to all for the advice. Another question...the folks at MV always talk about Pirate Seats but they're in NY. I'd like to change out the 500ie seat to something more comfortable. Anybody know of a good shop in California?

apriliaforum expert
    California should be full of shops that can upholster your seat. I also have a 500ie and found the factory seat to be uncomfortable. Baldwin Motorcycle Saddles did the work for me and did a very good job. I sent them the fabric for my seat because I wanted to select the color. I have seen the workmanship of Pirate at trade shows and they are also a top notch company.
    The advantage of using a local guy is you can have them adjust the padding with you their making the decisions. I opted for a gel insert on mine. Buy a premium fabric so that it will last.
    Bob W.
    08 Scarabeo 500ie
    13 Vespa GTV 300ie

apriliaforum expert
    Not California but they do present some options specific to the Scarabeo:

http://www.topsellerie.com/en-us/APR...ter_1_293.html

Quote Originally Posted by misha1031 View Post
    Once again thanx to all for the advice. Another question...the folks at MV always talk about Pirate Seats but they're in NY. I'd like to change out the 500ie seat to something more comfortable. Anybody know of a good shop in California?
    Look in the good old Yellow Pages under "Upholstery" for someone local. Talent isn't confined to motorcycle seat custom shops. You'll prolly save $$ there as well.
    -=[ Bill ]=-
    04 Silver S500 (GT now) #0278
    I brake for morons

apriliaforum expert
    chk out link rock posted ive dealt with that guy fore. i think a s500 seat done up two color leather was like 270 shipped mighta been a third color Ital flag or such some memory foam involved..good quality materials etc was just a tad stiffer than stocker

apriliaforum expert
    I went on the Baldwin Motorcycle Saddles website and found a picture of the seat that they did for me. It is a light brown or tan color seat for Aprilia Scooter.
    http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/Photos.htm
    Bob W.
    08 Scarabeo 500ie
    13 Vespa GTV 300ie

apriliaforum newb
    Do a Google for Russell "Day Long Seat"

I did mine 3 years ago and one of the best mods I ever invested in.

apriliaforum expert
    Rank Bajin......what Beo scoot did Russell do a seat redo on for you??

Vernon

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Bob
    I sent Loren a note about the seat. I'm trying to figure out what it is about it that's uncomfortable. I know it seems narrow, I'm not a heavy guy so I don't think its me, I also don't like the fact that I feel pitched forward and somehow it also feels that you're perched on the front part of the seat. The back is high so you end up being stuck in one place. How much feedback did you give them as to what you wanted? Also, they're saying 8 weeks delivery. Do they actually ask for the seat for 8 weeks, leaving you without a scoot for the best part of the year? That seems silly but who knows? Or do you send it to them the week before you hit their schedule? I guess when Loren responds I'll get some answers, I thought I'd jump start the questions with someone who has gone this route already. Has anyone else figured out what makes these seats so uncomfortable?

apriliaforum expert
    so now we talkn 07 up 500 ie one piecer correct?? yes i agree no fekn good.. and how much is that Rhino RASH finish the bumpy shiet sposed good in hi heat or fat asses etc i guess

apriliaforum Member
    I have a 2007 500 IE. The black seat does get hot in the summer if you leave it out in the sun, but otherwise it is VERY comfortable and at just the right height for me. I'm not tall or short, just average. My wife even commented on how nice the passenger seat was... She likes the height so she can look over my head and tell me how to drive....

FWIW, I think the tan fake leather seats look odd on these bikes. They take away from the monotone and "retro-industrial" look.

apriliaforum expert
    Misha1031,
    When I sent my seat off to be reupholstered they contacted me shortly before they were ready to work on my seat. I didn't have to leave it for weeks. I added the gel support but I agree with you that the seat has some support problems. The seat slopes a little forward so I keep sliding forward. Their is little or no leg support. The gel insert did help but I think that it can be improved on.
    I am thinking of selling my 07 500ie and taking advantage of the great prices on the left over 09 500ies. I'll spend more time working on seat support on a new bike.
    The guys at Day Long Seats up in northern CA have a foam injection machine. I don't know how this would work but you should give them a call.
    Last edited by Bob Walker; 04-09-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    Bob W.
    08 Scarabeo 500ie
    13 Vespa GTV 300ie

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Rank Bajin......what Beo scoot did Russell do a seat redo on for you??

Vernon
    Sorry, should have been more clear it was to my MP3 - 500.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Bob, and its Michael, by the way, thanks for all of the help. I have been in touch with Loren, thanks to your help, and have forwarded pictures of the 09 500 ie seat to him. I am assuming the seat is identical to yours. The seat slopes downwards the further back you move towards the second tier, and the second tier is useless to me, because my wife doesn't really ever get on the back of any of my bikes. I have asked Loren if it is possible to give up the extra storage created by the upper back tier of the seat by leveling the whole seat at the lower height. Then, i can work at creating some shape that will comfortably accommodate me.
    I rode the scoot again today, its still relatively new and the rain here has prevented me from logging lots of miles, but I still love this machine. I don't miss the Vespa at all.
    Lastly, Loren mentioned that I can send the seat as I get closer to the build date so that I don't miss that much riding. Very helpful.
    Anyway, thanks for all of the help, as always, and I'll post up pics when the seat is fixed 8 weeks or so from now.
    Michael

apriliaforum expert
    Michael, I used an upholstery fabric called Ultraleather for my seat. This is a premium material that looks like leather but performs much better. It costs about $100.00 per yard and you will need one yard. I have seen it for less but those places have a minimum of three yards. This product is far superior to the stuff that came on the factory seat.
    You mentioned moving the hump back on your seat taking away some of the space for the passenger. I also thought of doing this but felt like the molded pan that makes up the seat would not be practical to modify.
    The guys at Pirate upholstery make a custom pan for the Vespa scooters where they had a new pan molded. They had to have a big market to invest in the mold for the more popular Vespa. I don't think that they sell enough Aprilias to justify making a custom seat mold.
    The guys at Day Long Seat have a foam injection machine. I don't know how that would work but you should give them a call. They are in northern CA.
    Last edited by Bob Walker; 04-09-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    Bob W.
    08 Scarabeo 500ie
    13 Vespa GTV 300ie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast