Thread: How do I wire a 4 pin Tuono Pump to a 3 pin falco?

apriliaforum Junkie

How do I wire a 4 pin Tuono Pump to a 3 pin falco?

I just got a Tuono pump in the mail, but the connector is different. I'm going to splice it, but not really sure how. Is it just one extra ground, can I twist them together?

My Tuono and RSV Gen 1 pumps are 3 wire connectors. What generation of bike pump did you get? Do a search for fuel pump test I've linked and written before to get the colour codes of the wires.

Hoh, Hum, another shitty day in paradise!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Exdukenut View Post
    My Tuono and RSV Gen 1 pumps are 3 wire connectors. What generation of bike pump did you get? Do a search for fuel pump test I've linked and written before to get the colour codes of the wires.

I think I found the thread, but it sounds like it's for 3 wires...

I have no idea. It had 2000 miles on it, so it must be newish.

This is the last step on my bike! Hope I can get it to work.

Name:  $(KGrHqVHJCcE9BfSBbnLBPY-6ojLsg~~60_12.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  55.3 KB

I found a wiring diagram but I can't make sense of it.

(at end of doc)
    http://www.serviceaprilia.com/public...20-%202006.pdf

It looks like only one ground, but I have no idea what's going on.
    Last edited by jmccalip; 04-02-2012 at 11:23 PM.

apriliaforum Junkie
    If anyone can help I would be extremely appreciative. I'm a wiring idiot. Is the easiest path just to dissect the new fuel pump, try and match the wires, and attach them to the existing harness? I'm thinking if it's four wires, it's gotta be one hot wire for pump, one ground for pump, one for low fuel level, and 1 more ground.

If it helps, I traced each wire on each bike's harness using the wiring diagrams:

www.serviceaprilia.com_public_lumAprilia_Tuono 1000 R Factory_Tuono Mille R USA - 2006.pdf

Here is the photo of the Tauno wiring diagram.

The wires from the fuel pump go:

1 to ground
    1 to starter board
    2 to ecu

My falco has:

1 to ground
    1 to multifunction display: left side
    1 to fuel pump relay that splits with "multi connector"
    Last edited by jmccalip; 04-03-2012 at 08:49 PM.

I'll go and lift the tank and have a squizz shortly at my wiring of the tank. Can you confirm what bike the pump came from? If it came from a gen 1 RSVP, tuono or Falco it should be just plug it into the tank and connect up!
    Hoh, Hum, another shitty day in paradise!

apriliaforum Junkie KbomonFalco's Avatar
    I hate to say it, but I'm not sure this will work. What's going on with that wiring diagram? The key is totally wrong! In the diagram, item 36 is the pump, and 35 is the level sensor. The Tuono pump is getting power from a 15a fuse. A bit different than the Falco pump.

Your new fuel pump wiring would go to the following if it were in a late model Tuono:
    Green to Fuse
    Blue to ECU
    Orange to Dash Level Sensor
    Black to Dash Sensor Earth (ground)

The Falco pump wiring is as follows...
    Green to ECU (Grn/Blk)
    Blue to Ground (Blu)
    Orange to Dash (Orn/Blk)

In the Falco, the fuel pump gets power from the ECU. You might try splicing the Blue and Black wires together. These would go to Ground (Blu). Then run the Green wire to the ECU (Grn/Blk). And the Orange wire to the dash (Orn/Blk). Aprilia is famous for changing their wiring colors. Hopefully yours is per the drawings, or perhaps you have the old pump still? Either way, I wish you luck. Unfortunately this will be a trial and error. You should be able to temporarily hook it up before mounting it in the tank. The pump should cycle briefly when you turn the key on. And the low fuel light should come on since it's not sitting in fuel.

I'm concerned the new pump requires more power. But maybe it's not that complicated? Good luck!
    2001 SL1000 Falco
    2000.5 RSVR Mille

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by KbomonFalco View Post
    I hate to say it, but I'm not sure this will work. What's going on with that wiring diagram? The key is totally wrong! In the diagram, item 36 is the pump, and 35 is the level sensor. The Tuono pump is getting power from a 15a fuse. A bit different than the Falco pump.

Your new fuel pump wiring would go to the following if it were in a late model Tuono:
    Green to Fuse
    Blue to ECU
    Orange to Dash Level Sensor
    Black to Dash Sensor Earth (ground)

The Falco pump wiring is as follows...
    Green to ECU (Grn/Blk)
    Blue to Ground (Blu)
    Orange to Dash (Orn/Blk)

In the Falco, the fuel pump gets power from the ECU. You might try splicing the Blue and Black wires together. These would go to Ground (Blu). Then run the Green wire to the ECU (Grn/Blk). And the Orange wire to the dash (Orn/Blk). Aprilia is famous for changing their wiring colors. Hopefully yours is per the drawings, or perhaps you have the old pump still? Either way, I wish you luck. Unfortunately this will be a trial and error. You should be able to temporarily hook it up before mounting it in the tank. The pump should cycle briefly when you turn the key on. And the low fuel light should come on since it's not sitting in fuel.

I'm concerned the new pump requires more power. But maybe it's not that complicated? Good luck!
    Thank you very much! I guess I will give it a shot. I got a basically brand new fuel pump for $57 shipped. :/

I do not care if I LOSE the low level sensor, I just want a working pump. So as long as I ground it and get the hot wires correct, it should work, right? By the way, why do you think it requires more power? Just curious. They are both 1000cc engines, I would think they'd be pretty similar. I also found out this pump is used in some ducati's and guzzies, so it seems somewhat universal.

UNLESS someone just happens to have a falco pump they want to trade. Haha.
    Last edited by jmccalip; 04-04-2012 at 12:18 AM.

apriliaforum Junkie KbomonFalco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccalip View Post
    So as long as I ground it and get the hot wires correct, it should work, right? By the way, why do you think it requires more power? Just curious. They are both 1000cc engines, I would think they'd be pretty similar.
    I think it's worth a try. I only thought that it needed more power because it was wired directly to the fuse. I see now that the Falco fuel pump gets power through the fuel pump and engine stop relays. But still a 15a fuse supplies power. So I correct my earlier statement that the green wire goes to the ECU. It does, but that's not where the power comes from. Sorry for the confusion. I am starting to think it should all work if you just tie the blue and black wires together.
    2001 SL1000 Falco
    2000.5 RSVR Mille

Did you receive just the pump or the entire baseplate incl. Fuel level sensor etc. ?

If it is the complete baseplate, you could try just swapping the pump itself.
    'Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticise them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.'

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mini_me View Post
    Did you receive just the pump or the entire baseplate incl. Fuel level sensor etc. ?

If it is the complete baseplate, you could try just swapping the pump itself.
    It's the entire pump. The wires on my old pump are brittle/cracking, so all wiring needs to be replaced. I might as well just swap the entire pump.

As soon as I receive my weatherpack connectors in the mail, I'll splice it up and let you guys know what happens.

I can't swear to it by your picture, but I believe you just have two blue grounds. I think it's pretty compatible with the old wiring, just splice those grounds together. But make sure they are grounds first!