Thread: Newbie Questions

apriliaforum newb

Question Newbie Questions

And yes, I read the Newbie sticky!
    Just picked up an '09 Scarabeo 500ie with 825 miles. First scooter since an Allstate 125 waayy back in the day!
    I have to say this thing is a hoot to ride. Took the wife on a 30 mile breakfast run this morning, great handling and power. This will be the commuter I was looking for, 80 mile round trip.
    Questions:
    It appears the F&R brakes are linked when using the left (rear) lever. Found this out quickly when I pulled in the 'clutch' the first few times! Is just one front disc linked? Is just one disc hooked to the right (front) lever?
    There is a wire going to the front right caliper, what is it's purpose?
    Does the tail trunk I see on the AF1 parts site have a lighted panel, or is it just reflectors?
    Thanks, Bob

apriliaforum expert
    The left brake lever is to the left front rotor and the rear rotor. The right brake lever applies pressure to the right front rotor only. The cable to the right side of the front wheel is the speed sensor pickup.
    Their are a number of companies making top boxes that will fit your scooter. Some have light kits that can be added in place of the reflector and some come standard with a light kit. One suggestion is that you buy an Aprilia top box mounting kit. The luggage rack in the 500ie is plastic and not substantial enough for a top box. The Aprilia mounting kit has a heavy metal support that bolts to the frame. Af1 sells the mounting kit.
    Enjoy your new scooter.
    Bob W.
    08 Scarabeo 500ie
    13 Vespa GTV 300ie

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the brake info Bob.
    The mounting kit makes sense, I'll keep searching for trunks. I'm more concerned with some additional rear lighting than excess capacity.

apriliaforum expert
    than look at lighting kits they make 250$ led kits that'll lite up a lot alot of the HD stuff iseasily incorporated into a beo.. a lot of HD owners own the 04-06 model for their wives of course funny the wives never seem to get outta the burban looong enuff to ever out the 9K it has on it now and the Hd hasnt been out in Months Hmmmmmm Why Ya'll like that

apriliaforum newb
    I saw the Ad-More kits for the Givi boxes, a bit pricey, but exactly what I'm looking for. I work shifts so one end of my 40 mile commute is always in the dark.
    I think I will put some ADVMonster 30 LED's on the front, just have to figure a mount. I have their 40's on my sidecar rig and they really light things up.

apriliaforum newb
    Now some Newbie coments.
    The PO claims to have had the oil changed at a Honda shop at 600 miles, but he didn't have the receipt or say anything about the rear hub. Had a purolator filter in it. My local indie shop had the 184HF filter, I picked up some Castrol 5w40 synth, already have some 75-90 synth. Changed it all at 965 miles on saturday, I swear it's running smooother. Wife says my seat of the pants impression can't be true, my butt cant be that sensitive due to it's regular noises and emissions.......

Initially I was unhappy with having to look down at the speedo (yeah it's 10% high) but realized I was just sitting too close to the bars. My other ride is more sport touring set up. I scooted back in the seat and put my feet further forward, problem solved.

Shortly after the fuel warning light came on, the wrench illuminated on the screen. Figured it was tied to the gas gauge. Didn't go out after fill up and restart. I checked lights, oil, brakes, all were fine. Finally got a chance to look in the manual (or what passes for one!) to see it's a mileage based service light. Finally found the reset after a search here, so no worries. For the other newbies, you just hold the mode buttonin, then turn on the key. The display will stay blank, then the wrench will blink and the display will do it's normal pre trip check. Relaese the mode button and the wrench will be gone.
    BTW, that tank yielded 65 mpg! I'm liking this scoot more & more, and appreciate the knowledge base on this forum.
    Bob Weis
    09 Beo 500ie, 04 BMW K12RS w/ Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

apriliaforum expert
    had a 185 miles on bike today with just a single tick past 1/2 tank may break the 300's this tank..