Thread: Plastic welding leaky tank flange?

apriliaforum Junkie

Plastic welding leaky tank flange?

I'm sick of dealing with epoxy, especially after I found out JB weld doesn't hold up to ethanol!

I want a permanent fix. So I though about using a plastic welder to melt nylon rod onto the tank to fill the low spots, then sand flush.

Any thought? Bad idea? Good idea? Have I gone mad?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Update: Doesn't work

It sticks, but will still chip off if I pry at it. The problem is, in order for it to bond, the base needs to melt too. Too risky.

Is there ANY expoxy out there that will bond to plastic and resist ethanol? I don't want to spend $45 on a caswell sealer again when I just need to seal the flange. It would take maybe 2oz.
    Last edited by jmccalip; 03-30-2012 at 03:42 PM.

apriliaforum expert anzacinexile's Avatar
    Your problem is the tank isn't nylon, its fiberglass and that's a thermo-setting plastic which wont melt - it'll burn but not melt so it wont bond no matter how much heat you use.

The only thing you can use is more fiberglass resin in a roughed up and clean crack. If the crack is big you might need to use some glass filler
    Chris
    Probability factor now 1:1, normality has been returned. Anything you canít deal with now is your own problem

Quote Originally Posted by anzacinexile View Post
    Your problem is the tank isn't nylon, its fiberglass and that's a thermo-setting plastic which wont melt - it'll burn but not melt so it wont bond no matter how much heat you use.

The only thing you can use is more fiberglass resin in a roughed up and clean crack. If the crack is big you might need to use some glass filler
    The tank is Nylon 6, also known as PA6 or Polyamide 6, not fiberglass. The same as the tanks on 01 and up RSV, Tuono, KTM, and a large number of Ducatis. They are all rotational molded nylon tanks made be Acerbis. If the Falco tank was Fiberglass people would not be having the problems swelling due to ethanol in the fuel. Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning that it actively pulls water out of the air. The nylon molecules in the tank then pick up and absorb water from the ethanol from the fuel and expand.
    1999 (sold as a 2000 model in USA) RSV Mille Tricolor with Ohlins radial forks, 4 pad Brembo radial calipers, 16mm radial Brembo brake master, Ohlins shock with remote hydraulic preload, KTM sprag, Gen2 blue anodized forged aluminum OZ radial wheels, dual link modified 2-1 collector, Akrapovic slipon, 57mm Gen1 air box, Gen2 57mm TBs, 60mm tall Gen2 Tuono velocity stacks, Gabro A2BF EPROM, Falco clipons, long stem RS125 mirrors, 17/42 sprockets, Ohlins steering damper, carbon fiber front fender, rear hugger, chain guard, heel guards...

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Is nylon a true thermo plastic? I didn't think it could be remelted without losing some of the mechanical properties.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TRXnMe View Post
    Is nylon a true thermo plastic? I didn't think it could be remelted without losing some of the mechanical properties.
    Yes, nylon is a thermo plastic.

I think I'm gonna try it again. Most of the surface was smooth when I tried it, and that's where it flaked. The part that was roughly sanded held so well I couldn't scratch it up.

And I found another use for zipties, haha! I found some 6-6 nylon zipties and I'm using them to melt onto the flange.

apriliaforum expert anzacinexile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanV990 View Post
    The tank is Nylon 6, also known as PA6 or Polyamide 6,
    Bugger me, you learn something every day
    Chris
    Probability factor now 1:1, normality has been returned. Anything you canít deal with now is your own problem

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccalip View Post
    Yes, nylon is a thermo plastic.

I think I'm gonna try it again. Most of the surface was smooth when I tried it, and that's where it flaked. The part that was roughly sanded held so well I couldn't scratch it up.

And I found another use for zipties, haha! I found some 6-6 nylon zipties and I'm using them to melt onto the flange.
    Handy to know about the zip ties, metal and plastic share one thing in common when being welded, the filler material has to be right

I knew nylon was thermally formed, but I had an idea it could not be reground and reformed as a 'true' thermo plastic can, there are a few plastics like that, nice to know I'm wrong

I bet waterproof liquid nail would work.That stuff sticks to anything and when hard gets rock like.
    Originally Posted by Geedub/GeoR
    Please, Dianne was England's most tragic mistake. Half of the time she called the papers herself so they could report she was shagging that Saudi billionaire's son and never mind the children, hey? Cunt.

A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by futfalc View Post
    I bet waterproof liquid nail would work.That stuff sticks to anything and when hard gets rock like.
    Once again I decided the plastic welding doesn't work. My gun does not get hot enough to bond mutiple layers together. OK for the first few, but not once I get past 1/8".

I ordered Devcon Flex-weld to use instead.