Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank deformity

apriliaforum prov-nov marshallno's Avatar

Tank deformity

Am I imaging a slight bulge on the top of my tank? I can feel it raised maybe 1/16 1" diameter. Left of fill. Is this the ethanol problem beginning? Full warranty still only 1600 miles.
    08 Tuono R
    87 FJ60
    70 Cutlass

I doubt you're imagining it. That's about where I noticed the first of a few bulges on my tank. I'd get into a dealer asap so warranty covers it. Yes, from what I understand, it's ethanol related.

I've got a new tank on mine and I use Startron fuel treatment religiously in the hopes this won't happen again. I also completely removed the charcoal canister system to eliminate all pressure in the tank. So far, so good.
    2008 Tuono, Ohlins rear, Akra Hex cans, Map 2, 15T, CRG Levers, Rhino Moto Sliders, Ermax Screen, OZ Wheels, Sargent Seat

apriliaforum Junkie
    I agree with Gilly. Lot's of Tuono's out there with the same issue. He's also right about getting to your dealership right away to get this covered under warranty. I had to have mine replaced because one of the nuts on the side of the tank stripped out. I checked on the cost of replacement before finding out it was covered under warranty. Around $2,400 if I remember correctly.

apriliaforum prov-nov marshallno's Avatar
    contacted the dealer - I'll keep up with the news.
    08 Tuono R
    87 FJ60
    70 Cutlass

What I the charcoal canister and how does that help?
    Thanks

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by louroof View Post
    What I the charcoal canister and how does that help?
    Thanks
    It's the round black canister that's under the rear seat or seat cowl. If you remove it (The instructions are around here somewhere), it stops your tank from being pressurized. You won't get the burp of air when you open the cap anymore.

Ive had a light waviness on the top of my tank for quite some time now. I stripped the evap stuff when I bought it 11k miles ago. Wavieness has never gotten worse. Never used any fuel treatment. Im curious to see what dealers are doing. My bike is long out of warranty.
    07.5 Tuono

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
    Ive had a light waviness on the top of my tank for quite some time now. I stripped the evap stuff when I bought it 11k miles ago. Wavieness has never gotten worse. Never used any fuel treatment. Im curious to see what dealers are doing. My bike is long out of warranty.
    You might want to check your warranty papers if you still have them. In the US, your gas tank is part of the emissions control system and is covered under warranty for 60,000 miles or 5 years. I may be wrong about the exact term, but I know it's a lot longer than the standard warranty. That was what my dealership told me when I had to have mine replaced.

FWIW, it helps if you keep the tank filled most of the time. Less air mass means there can be less overall vapor pressure. Plus a full tank of gas will help keep the tank cool on a hot sunny day, lessing the likelyhood of the plastic tank getting hot enough to develop, well, plastic deformation (sorry, could resist a corny Mech Engr pun).

That's one of the first mods I did was to remove the canister. In it's place I keep a bottle of additive to add when I fill up. No problems at all.
    Current Swag 1 - '08 Tuono... da blue color
    Current Swag 2 - '01 Futura in Silver, Acumen DGVPainted W-screenPazzo Knock-offs.
    Current Swag 3 - '04 SRT4 Mopar Stage 3... FAST!
    Current Swag 4 - '10 Mustang GT 16k garage queen

Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 - Red Pill Mille Clip - Delkevic Sound Clip

Past 2-wheel Swags: 08 Tuono 1000R [Current], 10 R6 Raven, 09 RSV 1000R, 06 GSXR 1000 SF, 02 Bandit 1200 N, 03 RSV 1000, 05 Katana 600, 01 Futura 1000 [(silver) Current], 98 VLX 600, 00 GSXR 750, 01 Futura 1000 (red), 02 Bandit 1200S, 83 V65 Magna, 91 Nighthawk 750, 9? 700 Honda, 93 GSXR 750, 91 Katana 600, 78 KZ400, 82 CB450 Custom
    HF152, 10-26954
    HF564,

apriliaforum Member
    I can't help but think that removing the evap can will make a tank more likely to bulge. My understanding is that pressure inside of the tank is not the problem, rather it is water being absorbed by the plastic. Ethanol attracts water and allowing the tank to vent directly to atmosphere will allow any humidity in the air to get into the tank. The evap system has a one-way check valve and while the tank may develop a little pressure, air from the outside environment should not be able to get into your tank.

For what it is worth, I keep my tank full if it is going to be sitting for a week or more and I keep Startron in it if it is going to be parked for 2 weeks or more. I also kept the evap system in-place.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Fader View Post
    That's one of the first mods I did was to remove the canister. In it's place I keep a bottle of additive to add when I fill up. No problems at all.
    What did you have to do when you removed it , hoses ?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash23 View Post
    I can't help but think that removing the evap can will make a tank more likely to bulge. My understanding is that pressure inside of the tank is not the problem, rather it is water being absorbed by the plastic. Ethanol attracts water and allowing the tank to vent directly to atmosphere will allow any humidity in the air to get into the tank. The evap system has a one-way check valve and while the tank may develop a little pressure, air from the outside environment should not be able to get into your tank.

For what it is worth, I keep my tank full if it is going to be sitting for a week or more and I keep Startron in it if it is going to be parked for 2 weeks or more. I also kept the evap system in-place.
    Actually the presence of ethanol is not all bad for water absorption. In the old days, people used to put "gas dryer" into their fuel tank, and that's mostly ethanol. It helps to absorb the water that has condensed inside the tank that would otherwise be difficult to get out sitting at the bottom of the tank or clinging to surfaces inside the tank. Being soluble with both gasoline and water, ethanol helps to get the water in suspension and out of the tank to get burnt in the engine.

It is only a bad thing then, if the ethanol - entrained with water - stays in the tank for extended period of time. As long as you keep the fuel inside the tank fresh, the ethanol is not as terrible as most people make it out to be.

That said, I agree with you that the pressure inside the tank is probably not the prime culprit. For that plastic to deform - purely by pressure along - that pressure has got to be very high. I doubt vapor pressure along could've generated enough force to deform a healthy plastic tank. The pressure could "baloon" the tank, yes, but to cause certain spots to pucker permanently, something else must be happening. Of the several deformed tanks I've seen, all of them have the deformity on top of the tank, which leads me to conclude that heat softening from the sun may have something to do with it as well.

My practice has been to put my "T" away w/tank as empty as possible either short term or long term with Startron additive. I figured if the tank is plastic than rust was not possible and if Ethanol caused the tank to bulge than storing it empty would reduce the chance of it affecting my tank. Could someone please splain to me what is the best way to combat this. Thanx

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fzwilly View Post
    My practice has been to put my "T" away w/tank as empty as possible either short term or long term with Startron additive. I figured if the tank is plastic than rust was not possible and if Ethanol caused the tank to bulge than storing it empty would reduce the chance of it affecting my tank. Could someone please splain to me what is the best way to combat this. Thanx
    Definitely. Also, you can add Star-Tron additive or Marine Sta-bil to help prevent ethanol separation.
    I am The Motoman and I have approved this message.

'07.5 Black Tuono
    '06 Ducati ST3
    '03 Caponord
    ...and others too numerous to mention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast