Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New owner rant

apriliaforum newb

New owner rant

Take it all with a grain of salt, I'm pretty bitchy right now....

On March 3rd (yes, just about 3.5 weeks ago) I test rode a brand new 2011 1200. They set it up just before my test ride and it had zero miles on it. After they did initial setup and were letting it warm up, it was smoking a bit which I assumed was just normal break-in. The guys at the shop said the same. I rode for about 5 miles or so and loved it. F'n awesome bike. I'm sold. Told them I'd come pick it up the following Tuesday (March 6th). I went in on Tuesday and traded the SXV5.5 I bought from them the year before and settled on balance. Before I left, my sales guy said if I noticed any significant smoke over the break-in period, to let them know and they'd take care of it. Apparently they thought the startup smoke may have been excessive. All good, I still assumed it was just break-in.

Over the next 10 days I rode a total of 200 miles (it was cold and rainy most days so not much of a chance to get it out). I did notice that it continued to smoke after cold startup for maybe 15-20 seconds. Blue oil smoke, not rich fuel smoke. I called the dealer again and they said to bring it in and they'd see if they could replicate and figure it out. I dropped the bike off on the afternoon of Friday March 16th. They confirmed an oily plug on front cylinder, good compression and leak-down. They juggled a bit with Aprilia to see if there were any known issues and they believe currently based on diagnosis that a valve guide seal on the front cylinder was torn or nicked during assembly but they haven't torn it down yet. Apparently they ordered parts last week. I called again today to check on status and no parts yet.

Maybe I'm being impatient. I really like the guys at the dealership. This is the second bike I've purchased from them in 12 months but honestly at this point I'm pissed. I had the bike for 10 days total, they've had it for 13 days as of tomorrow. No further progress. I really don't want to be the pain-in-the-ass customer to these guys because overall we have a good relationship and I understand that this wasn't their fault. At the same time I feel like I paid 12k for a bike that maybe shouldn't have been sold in the first place. Really love the bike, but this sucks.

If any AF1 guys (or other dealerships) read through this, what is a reasonable expectation on my part at this point?

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Parts really could take 3-4 weeks MAX IF they were not in USA warehouse. Valve stem seals are a pretty generic part however...and if you are creative and smart there is a really neat way to change stem seals QUICKLY using an overboosted leak down tester, lock pin and creative spring compressor or one of those valve collet installer tools. This is all done with motor in frame, never unbolting cylinder head. It is how I did my Toyota pickup. If you remove the exhaust and have a leaky seal which one will be obvious at this oil consumption level by looking at soot deposits, same for a peak down the intake side.

All that said I have never seen this happen before in person on a DD of any displacement and when I do stem seals on motors I am building it is usually just to use up more parts out of the gasket and seals kit. Fresh stem seals do reduce oil consumption a little even of you started with no obvious leakers. If this does not do the trick it is probably an oil control ring on the piston of the oily cylinder.

In short. If job is done by the book you remove head, disassemble and replace all stem seals on the front cylinder on the bench then bolt head back on with NEW head gasket. My way can do the job in 10-30 minutes after valve cover is removed if you have right tools and get my process. How long another dealer will take I cannot venture a guess. I would think parts really should be no problem other than a possible delay of a couple of weeks in getting them to the dealer. They are definitely not impossible to get or even on indefinite backorder.

Where are you located again?
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

Spokane, fucking lucky! So close to my favorite part of this country. When visiting my folks in Montanna I typically fly into your city, rent a car and make the drive east to their farm. Beautiful place. I have seen the dealership there, looked good from a walk-in perspective?

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks Micah, this helps. And yea, I'm in Spokane. Love it up here in general. I have several relatives in Frisco, just north of Dallas so I've been in your neck of the woods as well. A whole lot of flat, but your weather is much nicer right about now.

Their Aprilia rep said they've had no similar issues with any other Dorsoduro's either so apparently it's just a fluke. It's definitely sooty exhaust but appears to clear up after the bike warms up. To me this is exactly like an old hard valve stem seal, but I suppose one that was torn or nicked may act similarly. They say that none of the parts are on back order (which I take to mean they're all available in the US) but the service manager over there can't provide any sort of estimate on timeline. Last week he said it was this week. This week he says he doesn't know and can't track parts so it's "whenever they get here, we'll work on it". Frustrating situation for a brand new bike. I've had a few brief conversations with one of their techs and they seem knowledgeable. The service manager told me flat out that they could not load the Arrow map before deciding he was going to read some more to find out of they could. I'm hoping the techs know better.

I've used the same method of holding air pressure in the cylinder for changing valve stem seals on cars without pulling and tearing down the heads as well.

I'll post back here when I know what the results are.

Good news on the parts. If we order on Monday and parts are in the USA we get them Thursday or Friday. You are much further from the distribution warehouse in Georgia so I would expect a few extra days there.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I also have an 2011 DD1200 and noticed a more than usual amount of white smoke upon start-up. Shortly before my first service I noticed a couple drops of oil on my garage floor after a 70 mile or so ride. The leak was from left side crank case cover gasket area. I took it into my dealer (Erico Motorsports, A++) in Devner CO. They did some diagnosis and confirmed the gasket was bad and needed replaced.

I too am a little pissed with Aprilia, as it's a brand new bike and leaking oil!!! Just glad I found it before oil got on my rear tire and put me down in a corner or something. That being said, I will be happy to have it back soon as I am missing 80 degree weekends now..

Usually simply re-torquing the cover bolts to 7 ft/lbs will do the trick. Gaskets loosen as the bikes set in storage...

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

apriliaforum newb
    Just another quick update on this whole story.

After no solid answers from anyone on a timeline, I contacted Aprilia (Piaggio) support (just found a number on their website) on Tuesday 4/2 and explained the current situation and my frustrations that nobody knew what the timeline was for parts. The person I spoke with was helpful, he did some checking around and confirmed the scenario with the dealer and called me back on Tuesday to let me know someone was going to look into it further.

On Wednesday (4/4) I received a voicemail from the service manager at my dealership stating that they were working with Aprilia to get the parts ordered a second time and overnighted (or as close to it) directly from Italy (apparently half of the first order was "lost" in transit or something).

On 4/5 I received a call from the head of Piaggio tech support out of LA. Super nice guy, very helpful. He confirmed what was stated the day before, that parts were being shipped directly from Italy ASAP. He seemed sincere in understanding why I was frustrated at this point. He offered something from the Aprilia accessories catalog and told me he'd be calling me back that afternoon with status on parts and their peace offering. After I got off the phone, I felt better. Like maybe Aprilia actually gives a shit about their customer base and things would turn around.

Unfortunately, that's the last I heard from anyone. I called and left a voicemail last Monday (the 9th). Called back again on Wednesday. Nothing. Frustrated again, I called the dealer back again this past Friday to see what they knew. Still no parts. They don't know where parts are. My sales guy laid into their rep a bit and they're now getting me a replacement bike. Its supposed to be at my dealer this week sometime after Wednesday.

So, long story longer. Hopefully things follow through and I'm actually riding again by this next weekend. 5 weeks after I took the bike back, and a little over 6 weeks after I originally purchased it with the problem in the first place. We'll see.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    2012 DD1200 will arrive at dealers starting in May (I spoke with AF1 this afternoon), retail is $12k. Since you have waited so long already (they didn't give you a loner bike?!?), maybe you should tell them you'll wait the extra two weeks and they can give you a 2012 model instead... Many dealers have already discounted the 2011 DD1200 to 11k or below (AF1 has two at this price).

hmmm, turn it back in and get another 'fresh' one!!

IT may be a bad one...
    rulz, we donn neeeed no steeenkin rulz....

inside rulz!!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Cathode,

Aprilia is not getting information in a timely manner I would guess. I have a similiar problem (as I posted 0n 3/30) with my bike,;and along with the white smoke the bike has had some oil leakage around the left crankcase. Seal was already replaced once, it's leaking again from the same spot just not as much. Bike is back at the dealer again and they are continuing to troubleshoot; they also are having issues getting parts from Aprilia. I believe there are a couple of issues with some of the 2011 DD 1200's, but the they have not been fully defined.

I too will update when my situation finally gets resolved, I am hoping its gets fixed as I already have done several mods. The dealer has been supportive and I think some of this is out of their control.

Titan077

apriliaforum newb
    Just another quick follow up. Dealer really followed through for me on this one. On 4/20 they drove over to Seattle and picked up the new replacement bike (because the shipping company said they weren't going to be able to deliver for another week). They had it setup and ready for me Saturday morning (4/21). I've got just short of 400 miles on it so far and all is well. I'm still frustrated with the lack of response directly from Aprilia. Dealer received a call from Piaggio/Aprilia on Thursday (4/19) that parts were "ready to ship from Italy". 2 weeks after we were all told that they were going to be shipped air freight ASAP.

Anyway, I'm glad my dealer was able to get things dealt with for me. Crossing my fingers for no further issues. Love the bike!

cool, fresh bike!! fresh start!!
    rulz, we donn neeeed no steeenkin rulz....

inside rulz!!

Glad there was a happy ending but damn. If they really replaced an entire bike for $8 worth of valve stem seals that is a little crazy on the business side of the equation. If they found something more sinister goig on and replaced the entire bike it makes perfect sense. So far I have seen ZERO serious DD1200 issues in our shop but they are selling well at all so I have a rather small pool to sample. As long as the replacement bike is all good I think you are going to have a great time with that machine!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Well..... This is an update, if you can call it that. Bike has been at Erico Motorsports in Denver since 3/24/12. First diagnosis was incorrect and now they are putting together a parts list to order for the second try. Sounds like they may have to split the casing to fix the leak. I called Piaggio headquarters and spoke to a couple of different folks and supplied them with timeline/pics/service records etc.

Still no estimated time on when the bike will be fixed. Have not heard anything back from Piaggio yet (I hope to tomorrow or thursday), besides they are authorizing the major repair. I am hoping they can just get me a new bike, I think I have been patient enough to this point. Seems like my bike is some type of science project...

This experience will make or break it for me with Aprilia and the dealer as far as I am concerned. Never had a new bike <800 miles spend this much time in the shop for an oil leak!!!

Charles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast