Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Installing your slip on (Leo Vince used for this example)

Thanks, Micah

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    It is standard Rhino Moto bar ends (for use with bar end mirrors) for pretty much all Aprilia twins. Same part used on earlier bikes, no worries there. I think those were Rizoma mirrors but might have been a CRG product, looked way to sculpted to me to be CRG however. I should have taken a pic of the box they were in!
    Thanks for the follow up, Micah. I will look for the Rhino's on the online shopping page and check for the mirrors.

Appreciate it.

Pablo
    '13 RSV4 Factory APRC SE
    '09 Tuono R
    '11 Multistrada S Touring
    '99 GSX-R 750
    '11 BMW F800R (sold)
    '09 R1200GS (sold)
    '08 Bonneville (sold)

apriliaforum Member
    I opted for the Ti Leo and read all the instructions you posted here Micah before it arrived. Actually ordered the Leo before taking ownership of the Tuono. The fit and finish on this is 1st class and it sounds really sweet. The db killer removed is throaty and nice but living an an apartment I've opted to keep the db killer in as I'm also in the break-in period. Micah, your instructions and pictures are the best for this and the hint on the wipe down with the wd-40 before starting has kept that virgin Ti from nasty fingerprints at first use. Thanks Micah for your continued excellence in outstanding customer service, we really dig it!
    Last edited by ch3no2; 04-28-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: name

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    No problem ch3no2 (btw, that like Methanol or nitro methanol or something right? I know it looks very familiar and it has been well over a decade since I took any chemistry classes), glad it was a help. When we get our next round of V4 Tuonos in I will do a full system writeup or something interesting to follow this up. So far about 3 days is the longest a TV4 has lasted prior to finding a happy new home...many more incoming in a month or so...
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Will there ever be a red Tuono V4?

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    As soon as you buy one I will take it down to the paint shop and have painted whatever color you like...I am thinking Ferrari Rosso Corsa?
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

^^^ Rene would do a killer paint job in red.
    Pete

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
    Will there ever be a red Tuono V4?
    I like the silver one, but not for us in the states yet. I'm about ready to pop for one at my local dealer, although I'm sure an Ohlins equipped model will be released 5 minutes after I buy it.
    Dumb question on the Akro: how can the slip on have a deristriction code? Wouldn't the code do the same for all bikes?
    Kind of like the Leo or HydroForm I saw on Ebay, but want the correct ECU mapping too. Can't see why the Akro is twice the price?

Quote Originally Posted by jlburgess View Post
    Dumb question on the Akro: how can the slip on have a deristriction code? Wouldn't the code do the same for all bikes?
    Kind of like the Leo or HydroForm I saw on Ebay, but want the correct ECU mapping too. Can't see why the Akro is twice the price?
    The slip-on doesn't have the unlock code, the ECU does. Aprilia developed the specific race fueling maps for the Akrapovic slip-on, which is why it's only available with that specific pipe from Aprilia. But generally a slip-on is a slip-on and they all perform very nearly the same, unlike full race systems which can vary much more, so yes the race maps that the code unlocks will work fine for any slip-on. However, you can only get the codes to unlock the race map if you buy the Akra; your other option is to buy the race ECU from Aprilia which comes unlocked from the factory and has the race maps already enabled.

So that's why the cost of the Akra is twice the other slip-ons - you can either buy the Akra and get the codes to unlock your stock ECU, or you can buy another slip-on for half the price but then you have to buy a new race ECU to go along with it. The combined cost of another slip-on + the race ECU is very close to the Akra, so it's not really about saving money but just allows you to use another pipe if that's your preference. And at the end of the day the race maps were developed for the Akra so there's always the chance you're not getting the full benefit if you match those maps with another slip-on.

Of course if you want to save some money you'll get another slip-on and have AF1 flash your stock ECU, but that potentially has warranty implications in case something goes haywire with your electronics down the road and Aprilia considers your ECU to have been tampered with. Not sure what the risk of that is, just putting it out there as my local dealer has had customers dinged by Aprilia in the past for ECU reflashes.

Werkes pipe sounds great with race map. Surprisingly not too loud. None of my mates complained, which is surprising
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-21 16.09.20 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	200621  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-21 16.09.07 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	200622  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ScottyDog

Official Aprilia Linkage Tester !

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 1100 RF, 15/42, Austin Racing GP1RR 70mm pipe, Race ECU, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Hepco-Becker sports Rack with Givi box when touring, Baher Intercom, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

2. Merc C63 Coupe 507 AMG (Currently in repair)

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

Danmoto GP pipe sounded great. No good photos Im afraid.

Tig welds nice and pipe nice but bracket was shit and rubber melted first ride. They supplied a new one which is apparently more heat resistant but I havent installed yet.

Link pipe was bit average...

Pipe looks good though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-25 16.35.11.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	200627  

Name:	2012-04-08 12.49.24.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	200628  

Name:	2012-04-25 16.36.02.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	200629  

ScottyDog

Official Aprilia Linkage Tester !

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 1100 RF, 15/42, Austin Racing GP1RR 70mm pipe, Race ECU, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Hepco-Becker sports Rack with Givi box when touring, Baher Intercom, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

2. Merc C63 Coupe 507 AMG (Currently in repair)

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

Micah if you've got some of those unnecessary hangers lying around I'd be happy to take one off your hands for my Akra slip-on. I can't find a hanger in stock anywhere on the planet right now, carbon, aluminum, Akra, or otherwise, and the passenger footpegs come off my bikes the first evening of ownership.

Nice write-up, btw. Will come in handy on Friday when my pipe goes on.
    "The Tuono sounds like a fighter jet made out of biceps!" -Michael Selley

Check LA weather

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by stinky View Post
    Micah if you've got some of those unnecessary hangers lying around I'd be happy to take one off your hands for my Akra slip-on. I can't find a hanger in stock anywhere on the planet right now, carbon, aluminum, Akra, or otherwise, and the passenger footpegs come off my bikes the first evening of ownership.

Nice write-up, btw. Will come in handy on Friday when my pipe goes on.
    Not the original akra but better than nothing

http://www.bay.it/itm/APRILIA-RSV4-S...ht_2182wt_1156

I got:

Not Found

The requested URL /itm/APRILIA-RSV4-STAFFA-SCARICO-IN-ACCIAIO-RSV-4-EXHAUST-BRACKET-/180806328080 was not found on this server.

Check LA weather

apriliaforum expert
    Put an E before bay
    I think is some sort of automated filter

How did I miss that? Thanks, now I'm just waiting on an invoice that includes shipping so I can pay.

Check LA weather

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast