Thread: repair issue atlantic 500

apriliaforum newb

repair issue atlantic 500

Bought an atlantic 500 2004 model at a very good price drove it one season after replaceing a few things but had no problems. left it sit out it got really cold in december went to start it to put away and the battery was cracked i don't know if it froze or what. I removed battery and put it away. Just got it out bought a new battery put it in but nothing happens; the red light that has a key symbol keeps flashing and the two fuses, the 20amp and the 30amp that are next to battery were melted, where should i start and what should i look for as being the problem, trying to avoid the cost of repair shop!

Quote Originally Posted by scootersrock View Post
    Just got it out bought a new battery put it in but nothing happens...
    Can you tell us more about what happened? Did you try to start it? Did the headlight come on when you turned the key? Stuff like that.

...the red light that has a key symbol keeps flashing
    That means the immobilizer still works, it's normal. Sitting without power for at least three months means that the key codes may have been erased; I'm not sure how long that would take, but...

...the two fuses, the 20amp and the 30amp that are next to battery were melted, where should i start and what should i look for as being the problem, trying to avoid the cost of repair shop!
    Since that's what you saw, check all the other fuses and replace as necessary. Also check all the wiring that you can get to for burned insulation. Based on what you've said, I suspect you may become close with your local shop soon. Please tell us more.
    -=[ Bill ]=-
    04 Silver S500 (GT now) #0278
    I brake for morons

apriliaforum expert
    How long was it left out without running it. A lead acid battery can loose its charge in less than 30 days and after that it will freeze. Rodents have been known to nest in scooters left outside and do chew up the wiring causing short circuits. You could have a combination of both problems. What did you do to mitigate any electrolyte that may have leaked out when you found that the battery had cracked? If nothing was done to neutralize the electrolyte that spilled out you could have a short from any corrosion it caused.

apriliaforum newb
    When I turn key on with new battery installed and fuses replaced and have checked wiring harness still nothing to starter all dash lights come on and when i take key out of ignition the red light with the key symbol on dash continuously flashes

Is it on the Center Stand or is it on the Kick Stand?

I believe there is an Interlock on the Kick Stand.

Could it be malfunctioning?

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
    Aprilia Scarabeo 500 Heavy

apriliaforum expert
    Don't forget to check and double check the kill switch. It still gets me from time to time. Also try the right brake lever to see if the left ones switch may be just a touch flaky.

apriliaforum expert
    uhhh maybe jess turn off like car turn key rt or lft and remove and leave ??? I no too easy and we get 1 less button to push unaccptable in this world i kno

Rocky has an excellent point about the kill switch.

I know from experience that both brake switches have to be bad if she won't start with both brakes squeezed. One good switch is enough to start her. A bad switch will also not light the brake light when the brake is squeezed (even without the motor running); that's how you can check your switches.

If the kickstand is down there should be a yellow indicator with a picture of a kickstand on it that will come on when you turn the key. If the kickstand is up and it's lit, the switch is bad.
    -=[ Bill ]=-
    04 Silver S500 (GT now) #0278
    I brake for morons