Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crashed my 2009 mana 850 something wrong with bike!!

apriliaforum newb

Unhappy Crashed my 2009 mana 850 something wrong with bike!!

If anyone has experienced a problem with Mana please let me know.
    Last edited by JOY; 03-24-2012 at 11:59 AM.

I would suggest deleting this and not speaking about it on a public forum until after you speak to your lawyer.

Out of curiosity, how much riding experience do you have? Did the throttle stick open when you gave it gas or did it release(as you were riding, not after the fact)?
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    Internally supercharged GS500
    and more

First off, hope you get better soon, that is most important. What else were you wearing in addition to a helmet and sunglasses? Also, you state you have an MC license but how much riding experience? What have you ridden prior to the Mana and for how long? I have seen plenty of new riders hold the throttle wide open as they were hitting the brakes in a panic situation. The equivalent of a new driver panicking and hitting the gas and brake at the same time... No chance this was rider error? I know when I laid down my first bike I found every excuse possible to blame anything/everything but myself including the women who stopped in front of me for a squirrel but in the end it was definitely my fault...

And to answer your question, personally I have not heard of any of the thousands of other Mana's sold taking off on their own after the rider applied throttle...

BTW, I would also change the title of my post to just crashed my 2009 Mana 850 and leave off the !! about something being wrong with the bike unless you have some actual proof to back it up.... Remember all the people screaming about the prius being unsafe and taking off on its own. Toyota tore apart the computers and every single instance was driver error in most cases with drivers applying gas and brake at the same time.
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

apriliaforum Junkie
    I hope nobody was seriously injured but frankly, I smell a troll ...
    Previous rides:
    2009 Mana 850, 2005 K1200S, 2004 Multistrada,
    2002 R1100S (modified), 2003 R1150RT,2005 FJR1300,

apriliaforum expert
    That is why there is a kill switch by the right hand grip. Not really something to post on a public forum as this could be taken as an admission of sorts that could be used to argue that the rider was at fault for knowingly riding a bike with a potentially defective throttle control.

I recall once quite a few years back, sat on a little 50cc scooter waiting to turn right (across traffic) into a carpark.
    I wasn't paying attention & just yoinked the throttle when a space appeared, without the unconscious "bracing yourself" that we all do when applying even a touch of throttle, my body was more relaxed (read; floppy) than a stoner watching daytime tv in a recliner.

Of course the wee scoot shot forwards, and because I wasn't braced it threw me backwards, relative to the bike. As I was forced back, it caused me to pull the throttle even more as I tried to use the bars to regain my seating - a classic vicious circle which ended up with me trying to stop the bike with my feet as I was causing it to accelerate with my arm.

It was totally my fault & the HGV driver who saw it all happen just laughed (no harm was done apart from my to manliness & several scratches to the panels) and if I had to guess at this early stage, I would guess this is the cause.
    The mana has a whole bunch of low down power which might well take a new rider by surprise, or even an experienced on if he's not been on a bike for a long time.

I've never experienced a stuck throttle on a big bike, but surely on a ride by wire throttle even if the return spring did momentarily get stuck, the act of rolling your right hand forwards to come off the power would move the TPS back to off, no?

Sorry Joy to hear about your experience with the Mana. I haven't heard anything about the throttle issue you describe. I did however have the same problem with the storage compartment switch on the handlebar, it stopped working for about 2 months and then started working again, but had no problems with the throttle. Yes, the computer does record errors that you can retrieve.

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS (current)
    1987 Harley Davidson Lowrider Sport (current)
    2009 Aprilia Mana
    2006 Suzuki SV 650
    1984 Yamaha Virago
    1975 Yamaha YZ80 - 1972 Honda Z50 - 1971 Honda QA50

apriliaforum newb
    My bike is a regular Mana 850 and on the control box it now comes up ABS System why would that be on there if it doesn't have one.
    Just seemed strange that I had been taking off from stop signs and riding around with no incident and all of a sudden this happened.

This did happen I am still hurt but getting better and able to use my left arm a little more each day. How do I changed the Thread title if you all think I need to change. Also let me just say I had fell in love with the bike but I do not think I twisted the throttle like that also the speed odo is stuck on 50 and I went over a two lane could it get up that high that fast??
    Last edited by JOY; 03-24-2012 at 12:02 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    I didn't know of a potential defect until reading on the internet after the accident. Also I guess the box will tell what really happen at least I hope so

apriliaforum newb
    Oh and I want to say I did have an armored jacket on that I believe kept me from getting hurt any worse. They had to cut it off of me so I will definitely get another one before I ride again. And Motorcycle boots

Crashed my 2009 mana 850 something wrong with bike!!

Kill switch? Clutch?
    James
    2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R (Nero Diablo) Woodcraft frame sliders, Rhino-Moto axle and swingarm sliders, Akrapovic slip-ons (with free-flow cats), Map2 (thank you, AF1), 15T (stock was 16T)/40T (stock), MPL-Tuningparts clutch slave cylinder, CRG Arrow bar-end mirrors on Rhino-Moto bar-ends, Puig windscreen, and standard length Pazzo clutch/brake levers (bright blue with black adjusters).
    2011 Honda CBR250RA (Metallic Black) R&G frame sliders, Rhino-Moto axle and swingarm sliders, passenger seat cowl, passenger pegs replaced with R&G exhaust hanger and cover plate, and CRG Arrow bar-end mirrors on Motovation bar-ends.
    Previous motorcycles: 2011 Suzuki TU250 & 2011 Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS

Throttle is not RBW.

Name:  400700_15.gif
Views: 518
Size:  22.8 KB

Name:  400700_50.gif
Views: 524
Size:  28.8 KB

Throttle is a conventional twin cable type, the closing cable is there to prevent the throttle hanging up by adding a fail-safe to compliment the spring. The Mana uses the W5AM ECU which doesn't to the best of my knowledge have the active storage feature of the units on the RBW machines.

In the unlikely event this isn't a troll the cause would seem to be incompetence on the part of the vehicle operator and a desperate attempt to try and shift blame.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    Why Thank you Pete, not trying to shift blame trying to find truth. And as I was saying previously it didn't happen for about 10 other times I had stopped and started at the stop signs. If they can tell by the box what happen that is all I would like to know. There are a lot of these unsold sitting around that is why the are coming off the price so much. And as stated I love the bike, however, if there is a defect and it almost killed me I would like to know and also let others who are riding if this should suddenly happen.

apriliaforum newb
    Not a troll real person who is just looking for an answer that doesn't put me down as a rider. But is the truth.

apriliaforum newb
    No Clutch did have kill switch but happening so fast no time to hit.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast