Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to buy? RSV4, 848 evo, F3, or Dayton 675r

What to buy? RSV4, 848 evo, F3, or Dayton 675r

I am looking to buy a new road bike in the next few weeks and have a budget of 20k.

Problem is I havent owned a road bike since my RGV250 15 years ago.

I have however always owned a dirt bike of some sort from XR650s through to KX250s and plenty in between with my current bike being a RXV450.

I dont have my big boy licence yet(only have a restricted up to 250cc but had this since I was 16) but planning to get this sorted next week.
    Also not sure on being able to test ride any of these bikes especially the MV Agusta F3 as this is yet to land in Australia.

I am in love with the look of the F3 but not sure on buying a bike that being the first of a new model will no doubt have teething problems. I really need something that will be fairly reliable as I am 350kms from nearest mechanics, dealers etc...

Second preference is the Ducati 848 evo then RSV but would have to buy a secondhand RSV4 as it is above my budget new so basically rules out a test ride.
    Daytona seem to be the best value of the lot but I dont feel the passion that I get from the look of the F3, 848 evo or RSV4.

The bike will be usually predomanitely for 300-400km rides and hopefully the occasional track day. I know I should really be buying a tourer or at least something comfortable but really love the look of the bikes mentioned and if I dont love the bike then I cant justify paying the money for it.

I am not a fan of the japanese sport bikes so have ruled any of those out.
    I know that at the end of the day the choice is mine but looking for opinions should it be yourself in this situation.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope that you can steer me in the right direction.
    Cheers
    Goodpawn

Your comparison isn't logical, the 848 and 675 are comparable in terms of weight, handeling, power and even the race classes they run (and are comparable to the I4 600's).

The RSV4 is comparable to the 1198 Duc or other I4 liter bikes...

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    Your comparison isn't logical, the 848 and 675 are comparable in terms of weight, handeling, power and even the race classes they run (and are comparable to the I4 600's).

The RSV4 is comparable to the 1198 Duc or other I4 liter bikes...
    I realise this but it comes down to what kind of bike I can get for my money. I would have included an Mv agusta F4, or Ducati 1198 panigale in the list but both of these are out of my price range.
    I can however get a 2009 RSV4 for the money I am looking to spend. As stated I havent ridden on the road for 15 years apart from the odd quick ride of friends KTM Superduke or GSX750.
    Also I am not looking to race so class not really an issue. Was really chasing comments on reliabilty, and bike being suitable for someone that has been away from road bikes for so long.
    For me I thought the choice between a liter bike and 750cc etc.. is like the difference between a 250cc motocrosser or 450cc. Both do the same job with not alot of differences apart from displacement and weight. Sorry for my ignorance
    Last edited by goodpawn; 03-21-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Bah

I just spent 10 seconds using the Search function and found these threads that might help you:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...&highlight=848
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...&highlight=675

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    I just spent 10 seconds using the Search function and found these threads that might help you:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...&highlight=848
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...&highlight=675
    My apologies, moderator please close thread.

No biggie.
    I can't remember where I found the link (probably here in apriliaforum) but I watched a video riding comparison of the F3 and the 675.
    The F3 is a very cool and awesome machine BUT it is VERY narrowly focused on performance. The 675 got much more praise for being pleasant enough to actually live with.
    If you want a middleweight triple. Which the RSV4 is not.
    Most of all - be true to yourself. Do you prefer 1000cc V-Twins (like I do)? The RSV4 is Not a V-Twin.

DungeonMaster
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"Maybe it's narcissistic but having a motorcycle that no one else is riding can make you feel like it was made especially for you"
    - Alexander George. Road & Track

2007 Moto Guzzi Griso
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65
    1988 Yamaha FZ750 rat bike

Have to buy new? How about a nice used V4 for around $12k and a used Daytona (or better yet, a Tuono, Capo or Futura for those sport-touring times) for around $7k?

Have the cake, eat it too.
    "If you make a habit out of slathering yourself in bacon grease and streaking through the tiger habitat at the zoo, is it really a surprise when you end up as a tiger turd?"
    -JodyH

Max reflects.
    Get your mind right.

Never mind Hank goodpawn, that guy is very uptight. I asked a question a while back and he jumped down my throat "you obviously didn't read the links I posted." I went back to read them again and still didn't see the answer to my question.

I've rode the 675 and really liked it. Looked great, felt great, I was very close to getting one but then got an RSV4 instead. The V4 is a lot more exciting to me. The sound, the feel of it and of coarse the power reassure me that I made the right purchase.
    94 RVF400, 11 RSV4F

I am sold on the Tuono v2 .this bike does everything well. And most importantly it's great on the wrists and perfect on the highway...and a Rotax engine for reliability. Just throwing that out there for an option...

apriliaforum expert
    Buy yourself a nice 07 onwards RSV Factory & spend the rest on fancy gear for yourself to do trackdays with, you will need it.
    The older v-twin's are cheap & very good bikes.

Dave Ward
    Moto Italia
    Aprilia-Ducati-Moto Guzzi

www.motoitalia.com.au

0432 441 985

I have a friend who just traded in her 796 Monster and upgraded to an 848 EVO....she wasn't used to the upright seating position of the Monster and the stock gearing on it was 'weird' (she used to have a Kawi ZX6). She freakin' loves the 848 and was going a good deal faster on it than the monster (more comfortable?)

I would think that with the Panigale coming out, the previous gen Ducs are going to be on closeout soon if not already. I would imagine there will be a good deal of used 1198/848's out there soon as well.
    -Randall
    .....Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Three great forces rule the world: ignorance, fear and greed

Thanks for saying all those good things about the 848. That helped me a lot. Helped me want one.

DM
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"Maybe it's narcissistic but having a motorcycle that no one else is riding can make you feel like it was made especially for you"
    - Alexander George. Road & Track

2007 Moto Guzzi Griso
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65
    1988 Yamaha FZ750 rat bike

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    In your list of bikes I strike the F3 only because it is totally new and unproven one way or the other.

The Daytona 675 has problems of its own, one of of my former coworkers was on motor number three when warranty ran out and he sold the bike. Only one of those three motors was involved in an incident which I think could have led to a failure. That said I have ridden the 675 at a track day on street tires (owner was a friend so I decided to take it easy) on my third lap I dropped into the 1:57 range on a track where anything under two minutes is considered fairly fast, so I decided to chill and just try to be smoother, then 2 more seconds dropped off laptime. my fast lap for the session was 1:54 and I never felt like I was pushing it. On slicks with setup suspension and if it were MY bike I have no doubt 1:48-1:50 would have been pretty easy. So it handles very well and maybe they have sorted some of the early production issues.

848EVO, nothing with belt driven cams makes my list.

The RSV4. If you can find a Factory model in your budget for an 09' I would do that in a second. The only other bike I have ever ridden that has a chassis like that was a late 1990's TZ250 Yamaha. That is a HUGE compliment btw. The rsv4 simply is without peer IMHO in the current crop of liter bikes. Sure a few make more power, but is straight line fast at 9/10th's redline what you want or midrange? The V4 is unique, reliable and sounds like nothing else while handling like a GP bike with the midrange power of a very well sorted twin or 01-ish era GSXR1000. The V4 is a bike you can grow into, the 675 is a bike that unless racing it, you will sort of grow out of in a year or two.

Hope this helps. I also agree with FORZA that any early twin cylinder Aprilia 1000cc is a safe bet with great midrange power, good top end power and a chassis that in short order you will learn to love. Here in the USA at least 04-07' Factory models with full Ohlins are valued between $2k-7k depending on condition, spares and mods. With the money saved track tires on a spare set of wheels, trackdays, pipes and whatever else you want like a new Arai helmet and new leathers are still in the budget. 60 degree twins sound awesome at full tilt too!
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

Thank you for the informative information regarding my dilemna.
    I am new to the world of v-twins let alone triples and fours. I was just going to go with my heart(F3 or 848 evo) but now may have to put serious thought into it.
    My ute I bought over the internet without seeing it in the flesh, and my RXV was the same. I tend to impulse buy when I see something I want.
    I am looking to keep the bike for at least 3 years so will have to be something I can live with and be happy to look at every day.
    I am not a fan of naked or unfaired bikes so can safely rule the Tuono out at this stage.I like the idea of a secondhand RSV and then adding bling and performance parts as my riding level increases and I can personalise the bike to some extent.

Working and living in a mining camp like I am at the moment means I will only be able to ride the bike every 3 weeks but will be looking at it daily so the appeal means as much as riding comfort,practicality etc...Im extremely shallow I know!!
    Will let y'all know when I make my decision what direction this love affair will take.
    Cheers
    Goodpawn

i had a Ducati 848 EVO and do not buy one they are crap

i sold mine and brought a 2011 RSV4 factory for the same money , it is 1000 times the bike of the 848 , the only thing a 848 is good for is parking in front of starbucks on a sunday morning posing they are shit , you need a gearing change , full system and ecu before it is even worth riding the thing , then they turn in slow , have very little feel or feed back from the front tire , brakes are not up to par and fade , did i mention NO power .

RSV4 is 1000 times the bike , if your looking for a twin go for the KTM RC8R they to make the Ducati look like crap with power , brakes , handling etc etc etc

anyone that say the 848 is good hasn't ridden a real bike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast