Thread: HELP top end rattle

apriliaforum newb

HELP top end rattle

Hi i bought my peg strada 05 1400 miles , some history , good condition two days ago for a comuter a 50 mile a day round trip but when i got back from work tonight i thought the top end / cams sounded a little tappy / rattley is this normal as having just bought the bike i have nothing to copare it to or am i just being paranoid, ive got three months warenty so i can take it back if needs be or do i ride it a bit more to see if it stays the same or worsens

cheers dave

dude, first of all check your oil level, do it after a at least a 5 mins ride when the engine temp had reached at least 3 bars on the dash. get the oil level right first, then post if anything is going wrong....

hope it works out....

cheers

Dave

Mines a bit rattly when cold, but once warm, its fine. In relation to other question, I have a 06 Trail and a Power Commadner made a big difference. Yours probably only needs a PCIII.
    85,000km and running well!
    Frodo
    2010 Shiver GT
    New Zealand

apriliaforum prov-nov Antrats73's Avatar

HELP top end rattle

I was going to get rid of mine but the rattle put people off so had ti take the plunge and it's currently at the rocket centre Blackburn (Aprilia dealers) being fixed with the similar problem and noise, having diagnosed the noise it was a loose nut on the crankshaft? that has caused some other damage inside and basically is costing me the princely sum of £350 to £370 to be fixed so looks like I'm keeping it a while!!!

My rattle is definitely top end and definitely disappears after a few minutes riding. I think its just the tolerances in the tappets. Yours might be different of course.
    Frodo
    2010 Shiver GT
    New Zealand

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I had the same problem at 20000 km, crankshaft nut was also loose. The mechanic said that it was factory fault because the nut wasnt secured with loctite as it should be. The bike was still under warranty so i had nothing to pay, luckily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antrats73 View Post
    I was going to get rid of mine but the rattle put people off so had ti take the plunge and it's currently at the rocket centre Blackburn (Aprilia dealers) being fixed with the similar problem and noise, having diagnosed the noise it was a loose nut on the crankshaft? that has caused some other damage inside and basically is costing me the princely sum of £350 to £370 to be fixed so looks like I'm keeping it a while!!!

apriliaforum prov-nov Antrats73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chipo View Post
    (null)
    I've got it back now £350 in the end but it rides and sounds perfect the clutch now seems lighter than its ever been,I've just done some googling and have indeed found other people with the factory fault you describe so have sent an email to Aprilia uk explaining my issue cost ect, who knows they might send me a free sticker haha!!