Thread: Update on my Multistrada 1200S

Nurburgring... been, there, done that, got the sticker

Update on my Multistrada 1200S

Just thought I'd post a few thoughts about my switch from the Tuono, (still for Sale)

I've still not been able to get away for an extended ride yet but I'm enjoying the new bike on my regular commuting journey into London.

I had the suspension set up last week and it's a great improvement, the whole bike is much more stable with more weight over the front. A lot of the fork dive under braking has also been reduced.

Only issues so far was the front brake needed bleeding after a Winter in the garage and an odd cut out one day (not repeated). Looking forward to the better weather and going for a longer run with it.

You really only need three things for bike maintenance
    If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct tape
    If it doesn't move and it should - WD40
    ...and if it falls off and you want to reattach it - Cable ties.

Hey Twin,

I'm anxious to hear more reports from you. A buddy of mine sole his RSV for an 1198 and now added a Multi to the stable and does nothing but taunt me at how much better his Multi is than my Tuono.

I still can't see it, but anxious to read more! I test rode a Multi last year and they are fantastic machines and would be an awesome all-around bike...if you could only own one, that'd be it I think.
    2007 Tuono Factory
    Mods Thus Far:
    Woodcraft Frame sliders, Look, MV Front & Rear axle sliders, at, Evoluzione Plate Relo, the,
    Decals by CKruzel, Money, Clear Signal Lens, I, 42/15 cogs, Wasted, Cored Exhaust-Map 2, Pirelli DCIII's

Hi Pizzadude

I wouldn't say the Multistrada is "better" than a Tuono apart from having more power, but it's different.

When I first test rode one I felt rather detached from the riding experience, a bit like driving a speedboat I guess, tons of power but less feel than the Tuono. It's easier to cruise around on the Multi and the seat is SO comfortable. The Tuono was much more focussed and sports oriented, and sounds better!

Like you said, if you can only have one bike (like me) then I do this is a great choice. I'll get back to you after some longer rides with more feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by twin4me View Post
    The Tuono was much more focussed and sports oriented, and sounds better!
    ??Sounds better??
    Does your Duc have the stock muffler??
    I am of the Very Humble Opinion that the 90deg V-Twin is The Best sounding motorcycle engine EVER made.

DM
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"I rode a Griso at when I used to work for Aprilia City in Melbourne. Probably the nicest bike ever" - Cosaro

"Once again you show up with apples and bowling balls"

2007 Moto Guzzi Griso
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65
    1988 Yamaha FZ750 rat bike

apriliaforum expert sidewaysammy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SF2DieHard View Post
    ??Sounds better??

I am of the Very Humble Opinion that the 90deg V-Twin is The Best sounding motorcycle engine EVER made.

DM
    I concur................
    Especially with an open clutch.
    Sidewaysammy
    2007.5 Tuono Factory # 3

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games. E. Hemingway
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

60* is better imho.
    www.tuonoworld.com

A gut full of ale and a head full of magic.

apriliaforum Member
    A Ducati at full chat is the best noise ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nob View Post
    60* is better imho.
    I regret that it is my sad duty to inform you that you are WRONG!

(a little bit)

DM
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"I rode a Griso at when I used to work for Aprilia City in Melbourne. Probably the nicest bike ever" - Cosaro

"Once again you show up with apples and bowling balls"

2007 Moto Guzzi Griso
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65
    1988 Yamaha FZ750 rat bike

I was out at the weekend with 2 Tuonos, one with Remus, one with Akras, my T with Mivvs, a Duc 848 with Termis and a Triumph 675 with an Arrow can. All without baffles. Quite a noise a can tell thi

Much prefer the drone of a hooge twin to the buzz of a trip though
    www.tuonoworld.com

A gut full of ale and a head full of magic.

90 degree "L" Twin Testastretta 1198 running a full termignoni system with carbon cans, corse eprom and air filter, wind it on and it sounds like a V8. Very intoxicating sound, my caponord is running standard pipes, and is just dying for some louder cans. The Multistrada would certanly be my first choice for an only bike, especially one with the termignoni system.

Somebody on ducati.ms posted a dyno curve after a remap. Looked like some nice gains.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Still on the standard exhaust so the sound is somewhat muted.

Hey Twin4Me...thanks for the follow up. That's a very good way to summarize it...somewhat detached in comparison. Great machine, though.

If you want to open up the sound, DO NOT buy a slip-on. My friend and I did his multi's exhaust and all he did was replace the mid-pipe with a LeoVince. You can hook up the stock slipon which contains nothing to baffle the sound. The leovince midpipe gets rid of that cinderblock under the bike and you lose 10lbs instantly and actually hear the bike.

The multi i test rode last year had a Termi carbon slip on and you never would have guessed it had a pipe on it.
    2007 Tuono Factory
    Mods Thus Far:
    Woodcraft Frame sliders, Look, MV Front & Rear axle sliders, at, Evoluzione Plate Relo, the,
    Decals by CKruzel, Money, Clear Signal Lens, I, 42/15 cogs, Wasted, Cored Exhaust-Map 2, Pirelli DCIII's

Yes, I'd heard the same thing about the Termi. I've also read that you really need to get it remapped if you take off the Cat box. To be honest whilst I'd love it to be a bit louder I'm not a huge fan of loud exhausts. I've often thought that a loud exhaust and a small number plate never does you any favours if the police pull you over.

I went on an extended run on Sunday and I have to say it really is a lovely bike, very comfortable with more power than you need. Yes, the handling is different from the Tuono but having had the suspension set up it's a lot better now.

I know what you mean about loud pipes. While my Tuono has cored pipes, either I'm getting old or its getting louder. My friend's Multi sounds good with the mid-pipe, it's not as "sophisticated" as his 1198 w/ termi's, however. If I owned the Multi, I'd leave it stock, too. You'll be happy you did if you decide to do some "road couch" tours on it.

Glad you are loving the bike. They really are incredible machines with a lot of different riding style potential...Ducati nailed it with this one. I'm not quite ready to trade my T on one yet; I have a fat, road-couch Hardley for the wife and I to take road trips on...I know, everyone hates HD, but the Street Glide is a great tour bike if you have a spouse (or significatnt other) that isn't into sport touring and going well above posted speed limits.

2007 Tuono Factory
    Mods Thus Far: