Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Mille decided to do a somersault! =)

My new Mille decided to do a somersault! =)

Hi, I'm new. I'm Spyderlord. Got the name because I used to use a Spyder paintball gun and dominated my friends (or maybe they were just picking on me for using a Spyder instead of a Tippmann).

I just bought my first V twin and 1000cc bike yesterday morning. My new 02 Mille was pristine, no scratches or grease smudges anywhere. Dropped the $4G cash and drove my baby home on the back of a rented truck from my boss. Got lost in Jersey a few times before making it home. Unloaded it fine, except once on the pavement and almost into the garage I forgot to check the kickstand. The bike toppled over, sitting peacefully on the left side fairings. My blood-curdling shriek must have been heard down the street as I quickly launched the bike back upright.

Damage assessment as follows; minor scratches on left front fairings and scuff on the tail. The left blinker is squashed into the fairing but still works. The clutch lever snapped at the pivot point and the left handlebar is severed right after the choke adjuster. Luckily all of the switches and clutch master cylinder seem to be fine.

Obviously my main concern is the handlebar and clutch lever. I ordered new parts off ebay. I was wondering how hard it is to replace the bars? I am assuming you need to take off the upper triple tree, if so is there a certain way to do it on Aprilias?
    A horse never runs so fast as when he has other horses to catch up and outpace.

uhhhhh... that sucks!!!!!! you do not need to remove the upper tree. but you will have to remove the left shock.

welcome to the forum noobcakes!
    2002 Mille-R Euro Yellow, Full Ti Akra, Evo Airbox, Custom Factory Pro Chip, Full Braking Rotors, Brembo RCS Clutch + Brake, Kyle Racing Tuned Ohlins and Custom TTX Rear, 03 Custom Tail, Sato 2 Rearsets, Quickshifter, Spiegler Lines, MPL Slave, Ceramic Bearings, Factory Pro Shift Star, 16/44 Gearing, Tons of extra carbon.

It's much easier for most to just remove the upper triple clamp. Lowering a fork tube requires supporting the front of the bike, removing the front wheel and front fender, and then sliding the fork down. I can't understand how anyone finds that easier than just removing the top triple.

Kz's got it, as usual. Pulling the upper triple only requires loosening the two pinch bolts, unbolting the clipons from the underside of the triple, and undoing the center nut (17mm allen iirc). You can leave the bike on it's wheels and do this. Once it's off lide the busted triple up and off, slide the new one on. Replace and properly torque the triple, then transfer controls to the new bar. If you're mechanically inclined it shouldn't take you more than 15-30 minutes. Probably wanna bleed the clutch when you're done though since you might end up with air in the master while things are dangling.

sorry to hear that man. not a good feeling....i've been there too. once you get it back together get some pics up. welcome to the forum.
    2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R

1999 Aprilia RS50

1997 Honda CBR 900RR (Deutschland Bike)

2001 Honda RC51 SP1

2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)

Thanks for the welcoming guys. And also thanks for the mechanical advice, I didn't think the process would be too complicated. I am mechanically inclined although I do not think I own a 17mm allen.

The scratches on the plastics are not too bad, but I was thinking of grabbing a set of used ones off the fleabay and painting them up as spares.

BTW, has anyone installed frame sliders? Is there drilling involved? I really do not want to put holes in my new baby!

Gone, but not forgotten naimchase's Avatar
    If you pull the top triple clamp, it will not go back on easily if there is weight on the front wheel.
    The fork bottom clamp will distort just enough to misalign the top.
    Take the weight off and it will slip right back on.
    The Pontificating Poodle
    03 Tuono, 01 Mille/now Tuono, Enjoy City

Name:  bike damage1.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  32.9 KBName:  bike damage2.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  33.3 KB

I am still amazed that the bar broke right between the choke control and the switch box, glass is half full-ish

P.S. I'm grabbing a new set of hex sockets in the morning. I have the Service manual on order, in the mean time does anyone know the correct torque setting (in Ft/Lbs) for that top nut?

wow....never seen a bar break like that.....crazy. As for frame sliders,not sure about others, but motovation sliders do not require drilling. http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore...p?idproduct=22
    2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R

1999 Aprilia RS50

1997 Honda CBR 900RR (Deutschland Bike)

2001 Honda RC51 SP1

2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)

Gone, but not forgotten naimchase's Avatar
    The Pontificating Poodle
    03 Tuono, 01 Mille/now Tuono, Enjoy City

apriliaforum Member
    Damn that blows, sorry to hear about this, it will be fine when ur new parts come in, yes, I heard your scream down here in Louisiana, I thought to myself "oh dear, someone just dropped an Aprilia"

apriliaforum prov-nov Bollock Chops's Avatar
    just noticed your throttle cables are pretty mashed up as well, get them checked mate

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollock Chops View Post
    just noticed your throttle cables are pretty mashed up as well, get them checked mate
    Throttle cables? On the left?
    2001 Aprlia RSV Mille R, Flash Yellow
    RSV Evo Chip with Power Commander, Heli-bars, MiVV GP Slip-on uncorked, Galfer Waves dragging HH pads, EvoII airbox, Acculign Rearsets

Yup, they pass over the frame on the left side of the steering axis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast