Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Starting Problems Trouble Shooting Guide

apriliaforum newb
    Yet another starting problem on my 2000.5 Mille and I'm stumped. Not sure if this even counts as a starting problem.

A few weeks ago I had a full service done at the Aprilia dealer down here in Miami. In the couple weeks after that, the bike ran like a dream. Started instantly, idled smoothly, and was generally supplied the most pleasant riding I've had since I got her in February. The night before last however, I swapped slip-ons (then swapped back to original) and then I went to go for a quick run to the store and the issues began. She seemed to start with no issue, but was a little more finicky with the cold-start lever position. Warmed her up to 125F as usual, put her in to gear and pulled out, but the moment I applied throttle the bike sputtered and died. I was able to start her again, but even with choke she only idled for a couple seconds before sputtering out again. Following that, I couldn't get her to catch at all. Fuel pump primes for the three seconds on key turn and while using the starter, there is gas in the engine, and battery voltage is fine (drops to 10.9 while cranking). I don't know too much about mechanics, I'm pretty new to self-maintenance and repair, but it feels like the bike is starved for air or gas. So, put the battery on an optimate overnight, just in case.

Yesterday afternoon I tried to start her again and again she wouldn't catch whatsoever. I stripped down all the fairings and lifted the fuel tank, did a visual check of all the wires and fuel lines easily reached. To me, everything seemed fine. No blackening or melting, the hoses were uncracked and everything seemed to be pretty well seated. The two little hoses at the bottom of the fuel tank (haynes says overflow and breather?) were disconnected, but I think I might have done that upon lifting the tank. Seated them again and went through everything one more time. Tried to start again and she sputtered to life, but very unhappily. Idled poorly, as if labored and any change to choke (usually to start I keep it around 80% of the way on) or throttle killed the engine immediately. Fuel pump still primes, no gauge resets, no EFI warning or other lights. Sidestand switch is perfectly operational, I had to fix that a while back.

The previous owner seemed to do a pretty good job of the brown connector mod, and I had to replace the starter relay with the recommended Yamaha alternative (works great). The stator is also practically brand-new, it's the latest gen. from Rick's. R/R also tested and was in perfect working order. Honestly, I have no idea what's wrong. My only thought is that I might have unseated something playing with the exhaust, but I don't think so. With my limited knowledge it seems like some sort of electrical fault related to the fueling system, but I wouldn't even know where to start. Could it be an air leak somewhere else? Clogged jets, fouled plugs? Budget is a little tight of late, and I'd love to be able to get this solved in my own driveway, but I'm incredibly lost. Any ideas?!
    Thanks

Sorry I have not been able to thoroughly read and evaluate your post. I have been helping care for an ill mother inlaw who lost her husband two months ago. When I can I will try and look at it. If anyone else can help, please give it a shot.

apriliaforum newb
    I think I've managed to figure it out. The shop installed the fuel filter upside down, which resulted in the pump being clogged up over time. Just waiting on a new filter and hoses, hopefully nothing else is broken.
    Only a trickle of fuel was able to go through, with my repeated primings it was enough to start the engine, but not enough to keep it running. Basically the same as if it ran out of gas.

Hopefully that is it. Do report back.

apriliaforum newb
    Problem solved! All hoses replaced, fuel filter re-installed (correct orientation this time), and a fresh fill up of premium with a bit of injector cleaner. I'm pretty sure all the problems were just due to the fuel filter being backwards, but it didn't hurt to replace everything else while it was all apart. Runs beautifully again. Now if only I can fix this dang clutch rattle...

Glad you got it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Problem solved! All hoses replaced, fuel filter re-installed (correct orientation this time), and a fresh fill up of premium with a bit of injector cleaner. I'm pretty sure all the problems were just due to the fuel filter being backwards, but it didn't hurt to replace everything else while it was all apart. Runs beautifully again. Now if only I can fix this dang clutch rattle...
    Hopefully you got the shop to fix this for you for free. This is part of the reason I'm apprehensive to have a dealer do this kind of work for me.

I've got some gnarly clutch rattle too. I suspect it's because it's 13 years old and has developed some slop in the spring action? Shifts fine for me and no slippage so I'm not concerned at the moment.

Another Stator Option $140

Purchased/Installed this stator lately with no issues and improved volts. Best part was install is plug n' play with all connectors included/attached so NO need for the soldering iron.

apriliaforum newb
    Can any one help me with how to wire a toggle switch with the wires out of my key ignition on a 2002 rsv millie

apriliaforum newb
    Hey guys! There is something other than the fall sensor that will cause a no start message on the display "which is what I'm currently going through". A good fall sensor will read 62,000 ohm which I have but still have a message and will not start unless I either pop the clutch or jump the starter solenoid. If anyone has any ideas let me know!!!! I'm going to deals gap end of June and really don't want to take a different bike!

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    ---------------

Starter motor

These are pretty bullet proof. One known issue is a loose cable connection which will overheat the stud. If the cable stud is rusted this is a good sign that this heating has occurred.

------------------
    Yes the starters are pretty much ok, but the connection is a disaster - make a terminal/wire directly from the (-), like this..
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...e-modification
    ... No my english is not perfect, but my danish is... og sådan er det..
    '03 Aprilia Caponord
    '80 Honda CBX1000
    '81 Honda CB900F

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quick troubleshoot tip: my fuel pump wasn't priming after winter storage. could hear one of the relays back by the ecu clicking, I squeezed the fuel relay hard between thumb and finger, the pump primed. obv. needs new relay..

apriliaforum newb
    Hi guys, i leave here my experience with my Aprilia RSV Mille 2002.

bought it this summer and always had problems starting it.

Placed a new battery at the time, the YTX12 and always had my heart pouding when i needed to start the bike. Some times it just didnt start. I started to search the web for problems and this it what i did and find:

1 - Brown conector eleminated with wires soldered.

2 - White plug eleminated also with wire mod to the batery.

Imediatly i see the charging voltage go up a litle, but still problems on starting the bike with slow crancking and crancks, almost dies and then it crancks and fires. This was still not good.

3 - I bought a new rectifier, a Honda CBR used mosfet FH14AA from ebay and after placing it and conecting, boom, the voltage goes high as hell. 14.5/.6 volts on the batery and 14.2Volts on the dash display.

this was a big plus but it solved the charging problem but not the crancking problem.

4 - I Noticed someting strange. The +12Volt wire from the batery to the starter solenoid was a 10mm wire and the earth wire as a 16mm wire. Also the wire from the soleneoid to the starer motor was also a 16mm wire. I dont know if the previus owner swaped this but it is strange. So i removed the 10mm wire, i was able to remove it from the batery terminal without damaging it and i wired a 16mm wire from the batery to the solenoid. BAM!!!
    The bike starts as never, with full cracking power and not even a sign of the starter motor to slowdown on cracking. This was the fixer!!

Heres the voltage video after all mods.

Later i placing here also the cracking video on low temp ( 10º Celcius here )

apriliaforum newb
    Heres the video of the staring speed after starter wires replacement.
    Before wire replacement the voltage on the dash got low as 10/9 volt when cracking. Now it doesn't get lower than 11Volt. You can see on the picture that it goes down to 12V, from the 12,4volt on the batery before starting.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910