Thread: 2007 250ie won't start or even initiate start sequence.....?

apriliaforum newb

2007 250ie won't start or even initiate start sequence.....?

I road my '07 Vespa 250ie to the store the other day and when I came out to leave, it would not start. It would not even do it's typical "boot up" sequence when you insert the key. I walked it home and charged the battery up fully, and tried again. Initially nothing, then the Dash lit up, and started making a buzzing noise, if I engaged the brake before hitting the start button, everything went dead, let off brake, and it relit up and the buzzing started. Nothing from the starter button. At rest, with the key off, the "code" light on the dash flashes, I don't recall if that is new or allways did that.

This scoot has been trouble free for the last three years that I have owned it, never had problem 1, so I don't know what this problem is about. Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Check fuses, carefully and the wires around the fuse block from the backside. For reasons only understood by vermin this is the preferred location for eating wires. I spliced 37 together on one 1k mile 250i that was "garage kep" to get it back on the road. Talk about a headache.

Next up grounds, all of them, as many as you can find. Make sure they all test good. They usually do being a stell mono chassis.

Most likely. Check battery terminal are actually tight. I see this once a month or more in the shop, even on bikes sent from other shops for"last resort" work. I cannot stress this one enough.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

Let us know what you find. Battery cables connections are my bet.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

apriliaforum newb
    Bad battery!
    Took a charge to 100% quick, but under a load it only had 50 crank amps and was shot
    Thanks

Glad it was an easy fix. Guess the battery could be tired after five years. So little goes wrong with the Vespa scoots, such a joy to work on when they do have an issue. Almost always it is an easy fix. Well designed machines they are.

Please tell me it did not have to be taken in to a dealer for this "fix". If the battery was original I am sure it was time for replacement, if it was only a year or so old I am guessing simply tightening the cables would have done the trick.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com